Kwando Files (Images from Lebala/Lagoon)

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Twaffle

So their diet changes from year to year, Hari? Kudu one year, lechwe another etc? Is that because of varying prey densities or because they hone in onto a weak spot of a particular species?

Lovely images and thanks for the anecdotes as well. Happy Diwali.

Edited by Sangeeta

madaboutcheetah

Hi Sangeeta, diet varies round the year - end of the dry season they try to get a large Tssesebe (some females maybe slower when about to drop their babies) ........ When dry, kudu, ostrich ....... when plenty of calves available - calves of Wildebeest etc etc.,

I think the lechwe was out of their usual norm ........ they seemed a little over-whelmed that day .......... they are also born and brought up inside the woodlands (they only came onto the flood plains when the blood brothers reign came to an end).

I've also seen them try to hunt Roan, wildebeest, steinbok (unsuccessful those particular times) - guides have claimed to have been witness to watching them kill young zebra, baby giraffe, Roan, full grown ostrich, adult wildebeest .....

Ofcourse, Impalas would be standard fare of any cheetah diet ......

Happy Diwali to you too!!!

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Another vertical image of one of the Boys posing away on the high termite mound. (Sorry, I don't have time to clone out the stumps from the Kalahari appleleaf next to the mound :) )

post-308-0-91164100-1352716423.jpg

madaboutcheetah

the blood brothers also have been recorded to have taken roan ..... Maybe it's a technique adapted in the linyanti?

This is a monument to the cheetahs of Lebala and Lagoon, Hari - great stuff. All the supporting cast are here, but the stars are clear,.

Another set of "like, like, like" for all those cheetah shots and a number of others.

madaboutcheetah

You are just too kind, Paul ..... Thank you!!!!!

madaboutcheetah

Sometimes, Termite mounds add a dimension to images of cheetah poses!

post-308-0-20482700-1352799065.jpg

post-308-0-90674000-1352799146.jpg

madaboutcheetah

More interesting Termite mounds with cheetah posing!

post-308-0-46256300-1352799294.jpg

post-308-0-20549900-1352799467.jpg

madaboutcheetah

This and That!!!

post-308-0-92672100-1352799773.jpg

post-308-0-00034400-1352799869.jpg

I've also seen them try to hunt Roan, wildebeest, steinbok (unsuccessful those particular times) - guides have claimed to have been witness to watching them kill young zebra, baby giraffe, Roan, full grown ostrich, adult wildebeest .....

When I was at Lagoon in 2010 they were definitely following a herd of zebra- the guides said they would try for a baby.

madaboutcheetah

Hey, I saw those Steroid boys (2 male cheetah at Mombo in 2003) ........

madaboutcheetah

Here's an image in the colors of Diwali ..... or what i think might be! a silhouette!!!!!

post-308-0-97898900-1352830604.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Hey, I saw those Steroid boys (2 male cheetah at Mombo in 2003) ........

They ruled the area for many years..I think one died in 2005 and the other in 2006...

I saw them in all my five visits to Mombo. They were pretty special.

I heard legendary stories of them - but, the one time I saw them on my only visit, they were sleeping nicely ...... had a great guide too - the legendary Brooks Kamanako (spelling?)

Aaaaah, I am dying of jealousy! All these trips before I had even gone on my first trip!!

Hi Hari,

Nice collection of shots some particularly so. ... especially liked the caracal (back on about page 3 or 4)

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot, Geoff....

• 3 weeks later...

It's quite a collection here, Hari! I'm now catching up on so many of the reports, and it all gets better with every page.

I think you should consider applying for residency in Botswana ;)

madaboutcheetah

Shreyas, Thanks so much .......... Hmmmm. It's always a huff and a puff to get the Bots visa. This past August was terrible .......

Nice, MAC.

No honey badger?! :D

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Super Leeds - nothing worthy enough to post here ......

• 4 weeks later...

Great new avatar, Hari! Kwando can halt all of their official advertising campaigns and just use this. Your stealthy leopard shot is exceptional. Good thing cats are such clean animals because those cheetah faces are going to need same washing up. Belated Happy Diwali to you too!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, lynn.....

• 2 months later...

Wow! I just looked at these amazing photos. This definitely puts Botswana on our list of places we have to go. Thank you @@madaboutcheetah for posting these.