Birds In Flight... Upload your photos.

Game Warden

I had been told in advance that I'd see plenty of Short-eared Owls on North Uist. Even so, I was not prepared for just how many I did see.

It must have been 2 or 3 every day, and they seemed very happy hunting in daylight - although, to be fair, there was not a lot of night.

Their bright yellow eyes make for some lovely photos, even if the weather is not great.

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

although sometimes the weather was great,

Short-eared Owl

Although there were many birds that I did not manage to find - which fact Fred @Galanawill no doubt take great joy in highlighting - I did have great fun with some species that insisted on puttingon a show.

These Common Terns were very entertaining - already in my  BY at #93 with a pretty crappy photo, so allow me to indulge myself.

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

Common Tern

7 hours ago, Soukous said:

which fact Fred @Galanawill no doubt take great joy in highlighting

Oh Sir. How unkind. As if I would stoop so low to mock anyone who hand delivers The Glenlivet at the roadside.:P

Great pictures too.

Edited by Galana

A whole bunch of stunning flight shots! 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:17 PM, Galana said:

Oh Sir. How unkind. As if I would stoop so low to mock anyone who hand delivers The Glenlivet at the roadside

Not at all, given that I missed so many species I should have found it would not be undeserved

xxx

Edited by Galana
repost

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

Not at all, given that I missed so many species I should have found

I dunno. Given that you were unguided and on unfamiliar territory I don't think you did too badly at all. You got the Corn Bunting!

(And you do NOT want to know what I accidentally found at the Common Scoter site less than an hour after we parted on 10th.) Luck does play a big part.

1 hour ago, Galana said:

(And you do NOT want to know what I accidentally found at the Common Scoter site less than an hour after we parted on 10th.)

I so nearlystopped off there again, but the thought of prolonging what was already a long drive dissuaded me. No doubt you found something i really wanted, like Red-throated Divers, or Black-throated Divers 20 metres from the bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

A substantial number of Little Terns going aerial at Winterton on Sea, Norfolk

Little Terns taking off

Little Terns in flight

Little Terns in flight

• 2 weeks later...

Snettisham in Norfolk is a place where one can either see almost nothing or too much.

In late summer & early autumn  the wide expanses of sand on the eastern shores of the Wash are the location for a real wildlife spectacle as waders gather in ridiculous numbers and try to stay ahead of the incoming tide.

Black-tailed Godwits, Oystercatchers are plentiful, but the real stars of the show are the Knots.

Knot spectacular

Knots in flight

Knot spectacular

Knot spectacular

Knot spectacular

Knot spectacular

Knot spectacular

Knot spectacular

Oystercatchers

Oystercatchers in flight

Oystercatchers in flight

11 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

Let me know when you're coming :D

It is a late summer phenomenon and I reckon it is best to try and catch a late afternoon high tide on a sunny day for the best light. My visit was early morning, but I think late afternoon is better.

The unfortunate thing is that apart from this amazing spectacle, it is a very quiet time for birding in the UK, apart from Tern colonies which are fledging and on the point of returning (reterning? :rolleyes:) to West Africa and a few other seabirds. 

Although I suppose that as you are 'offshorebirder' this may be right up your street.

Edited by Soukous

I would definitely recommend Snettisham. I went in late May and although the spring tide didn't produce the numbers expected in the autumn or winter it was still impressive. The nesting black headed gulls and terns were great to watch from the number of excellent hides the RSPB have around the reserve.

MFH_9437.jpg.480c4cd3923d0539f24320a56dd37ccd.jpg

MFH_9440.jpg.1bc9b455859090ee9b27a98aea2adc2f.jpg

MFH_9243.jpg.4563e48912a2171c848b5f755295fbc2.jpg

MFH_9320.jpg.4e1c969e96b156321c0775361226959b.jpg

I was out earlier this week planning to photograph smaller things using my macro lens. Fortunately I had my D500 and PF500 over my shoulder when these two kestrels came out of the trees squabbling over the kill one had made.....

DSC_5582.jpg.8843efbdbd00c6f2f2eef8c158deefb8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Since not everyone looks at the Big Year threads,I'll post a coupleof eagle shots here too.

Even though the purpose of the visit had nothing to do with birds or photography, a recent visit to Gotland gave me an opportunity to see and photograph some Eagles.

Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle

White-tailed Eagle

White-tailed Eagle

White-tailed Eagle

White-tailed Eagle

White-tailed Eagle

A Red Kite as well

Red Kite

I spent a week in the Scottish Highlands recently and amongst other wildlife found myself photographing terns and gulls in flight. This was a common tern entering a dive.

MFH_3649.jpg.c7cd63105b0afc2b13d062895ae8bfee.jpg

Nikon D500, PF500, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO250

• 2 weeks later...

Of the 24 Eurasian Spoonbills I saw at Hazelwood Marshes (near Aldeburgh, Suffolk) only one of them was kind enough to take to the air within camera range ( with a substantial crop)

Eurasian Spoonbill

Eurasian Spoonbill

Peter Connan

If only this was actually sharp...

Lilac-6.jpg.aa203906a51eb92fb1732a57caf17aa9.jpg

You caught a perfect moment, but I feel your pain about the lack of complete sharpness…

On 10/7/2021 at 6:25 PM, Peter Connan said:

If only this was actually sharp...

It is still a really nice shot Peter

A young Gannet 

Gannet

I was sitting on a windy rain swept cliff top watching gannets diving in the distance when I noticed something white flying across the sea about 130 metres offshore.

By the time I'd grabbed my camera it was already past, so this was the best I could get

Male Eider in Moray Firth

Eider