Green Season in Botswana - CATS, CATS & Wild Dogs

graceland

Those sable are so gorgeous - I hope I'll get to see them! And yay, Forty-Niners (I'm not that much of a sports fan but at this point I have to get a little San Francisco spirit)!

While it is the animals we usually are seeking on safari, those fireball lilies are a spectacular shot! Nice catch on the three dogs lined up. When the sable are roadblocked by wild dogs you know you are having one great safari.

Lynn, I happened to see a photo this morning of the young cubs from Duma Tau on the Wilderness site taken recently by a guest.

I checked GL's journal after seeing them today on the blog and he wrote "2 week old cubs"

Green Season is full of babies...

Gotta love a baby cub...cuteness personified

gallery_5364_754_10644.jpg

Thanks for following along. VP provided us with a non-stop experience,

And a Spider Lilly that only blooms in the rain. A rare occurance for one to photograph -and Ron, once again in his ever present exuberance, stops for us to get a shot.

I loved the fact he was excited for us whenever we stumbled upon the" wild and the beautiful".

gallery_5364_754_2107361.jpg

Edited by graceland

Cute cubs. I was just checking out my own Spider Lily shot. We'll have to start a "Show us Your Spider Lilies" thread and we can have dueling Spider Lilies.

I was thrilled to find a flower amongst the grasses!

And How I Ever Forgot to Add this Photo With The Dogs...

They were crazy in circles, and in their usual frenzy found something....we could not see what - not an impala, a warthog, whatever,

then Ron discovers...

gallery_5364_778_607422.jpg

There is a Monitor Lizard in the House. The dogs were dodging in and out trying to figure it out, and I hope realizing the teeth in that lizard's mouth. They were fairly young and got scared a bit and ran off; but we had fun watching.

Note to self - Focus.

They look just like my pup when he finds something intriguing!

Super stuff, Graceland, especially the marching dogs & that sable is magnificent! This was non-stop action...I'm actually enjoying your random thoughts & images - hard to stay focused when you're dashing from dogs to sables to monitors to lions and even some lovely flowers in between :)

It is mid-morning, we've had our coffee amongst the beautiful (and bountiful) fire lillies and Ron comes upon a herd of ellies. Well one ellie alone to the side so we decide to get a few snaps in as I had not seen any since DumaTau and I love to watch a family of ellies.

gallery_5364_779_31480.jpg

As we click away we notice his herd following

gallery_5364_778_855360.jpg

gallery_5364_778_196552.jpg

It appears to be a nice larger herd than we had experienced at DT, and we just sit and watch for awhile..as they too watch us

And one is obviously not very happy with what he sees....

gallery_5364_778_657502.jpg

Agitated and charging us, Ron does not pull away; he backs up and guns the engine......by now I am a bit used to this and trust Ron, so I "act" like I am not petrified the rover will be tossed in the air,

and the ruse worked....he walks away, leading the others to come closer to take a peak.....

gallery_5364_778_1294005.jpg

Still very curiousgallery_5364_779_34826.jpg

until they decide it is more fun to find branches to munch

gallery_5364_778_468654.jpg

Elephants can often provide some great wildlife experiences and you have got some super pictures to show for it. Thanks for sharing the trip, I am really enoying the TR.

Thanks for following along Wilddog, as I am reading your Zam adventure I feel it must be one to add. When we were on our very first safari '07, Zambia and South Africa, we were told in a few years we should think of a Zam trip. My husband never forgot the stories we were told before the political situation became so horrid.

Upon discovering ST and its' loyal Zim and Zam devotees, I'm sure there is reason to be going.

We were very pleasantly surprised by the amt. of game we saw in Botswana; the adventures we experienced, and actually seeing ACTION as opposed to previous safaris where animals sleeping under trees, or in tree branches; maybe a walk about was the activity of the day.

The numerous interactions of the residents of the Okavango Delta will surely live to be one of our most impressionable journeys.

The next morning proved to be yet another incredible encounter! But still on this very day;

We returned to camp, rather late - almost noon. Had a great lunch (VP serves a menu, which is always special) and had no issues with whatever time you happened back after the morning drive. With Ron as guide, first out, last in, was the norm and we were all game for that :):):)

In between lunch and afternoon drive, we walked between South Camp (where we stayed) and North (yet another 7 tents), though separate with their own DR/lounge/common areas. We liked having our walks as it was just about the only exercise we received, though we joked we were losing weight because of the adreneline surges we were all experiencing. That proved to be wrong, but for the moment was a great excuse to indulge!

The walkways between the two camps (I asked for a Segway, but this request was not granted) with a table ladden with fruit and snacks...just in case you did not get enough for lunch

gallery_5364_779_50053.jpg

High tea at Vumbura Plains, or as GL called it a "high glass of G&T" please....was at 4pm. We'd stroll up to the most beautiful lounge area about 3pm as we enjoyed chatting with the staff --as they stacked the table with amazingingly delicious treats, gourmet delicacies, home made lemonades, punches, tea and coffee. How do they manage this every single day, along with breakfast at 6am, lunch at noon, high tea at 4 and dinner at 8. I need staff at home!

During our morning drive today, Ron told us he was asked to accompany a single woman on a mokoro trip,as she had been waiting to go on the water for days. Since we had already had 2 water activities we declined the invite...and our group of 4 from the west coast invited us during lunch to join them for the afternoon drive.

We had so much fun with them since DT that we happily accepted, and of course having met Zee on arrival, and seeing him here and there in the camp ,we were excited to try something new with our friends. We were nearing the end of our most remarkable voyage!

Turned out to be quite a treat as I prefer the land drives to the water and with so much at VP,I did not want to miss out on a minute!

It was a beautiful evening; mornings seemed to be rainy and afternoons glorious. My kind of place!

We leave and come across giraffe - had not seen too many at VP and it was a lovely sight....

gallery_5364_778_33653.jpg

Their faces are just amazing. What would we give for those lashes?????

gallery_5364_778_462975.jpg

gallery_5364_778_411480.jpg

And some of the ever growing Impala herds

gallery_5364_778_320506.jpg

and Baboons everywhere

gallery_5364_778_476552.jpg

Notice the little one in the grass??

Well she finally got a lift...

gallery_5364_779_26367.jpg

It was a pretty quiet night as far as action, but we all had a great time together laughing and re-living the past weeks. We passed an some wildies and zebras and on the way back to camp, and stopped for a sundowner

gallery_5364_779_15902.jpg

And as usual, the most amazing African sunsets ~ more than anywhere in the world, the BEST sunsets...even having dipped so low ~

gallery_5364_779_9413.jpg

A lovely relaxing, but fun filled evening with new friends..

As usual on safari, mornings tend to be most crazy! And tomorrow did not disappoint......gallery_5364_779_64516.jpg

I'm so glad you persevered despite problems with your image posting. Wonderful sightings and snippets into how your trip evolved.

That's so funny that they even stock the walkway with snacks - in case you begin to feel faint on the stroll from one camp to the other!

Losing weight on a safari like this is wishful thinking. They are usually 10 lb trips for me.

Great trip report. You visited some of my favorite areas.

Thanks all for continuing this journey with me; I really appreciate your interest and comments!

So, reality is really setting in that evening that time is flying by, as we laugh and chat with our Fab 4 from the West Coast, a new couple from Uk who were also great companions, our single adventurer from Australia who has been volunteering in Namibia for 6 weeks and a new couple from UK who were great fun. Dinner at VP is by menu, which I like mainly because everyone gets involved in discussing what it is we may be served (!) and what will you be choosing! No standing in line for a buffet and very relaxing with time to get to know your table mate.

A great way to break the ice so to speak.

VP (and I imagine other Premier camps) has a staff member announce the menu, including the wines, giving them a chance to practice their English and speaking to a group. All of us admired them as I can only imagine the anxiety it produces. One young man was so nervous he was shaking and we all gave him around of applause when he finished. You have to admire the staff who are working so hard for their livelihood and caring for many family members back in their villages.

Next morning we get our early Good Morning and off we go, once again with Zee and group. Ron was taking his Aussie guest to the airstrip so we just decided to jump on the Zee wagon once again.

Immediately we see the sables, as they had been hanging out around camp.

gallery_5364_754_25035.jpg

Zee hears there is a rogue lion milling about so off we go and yes, we find him lazing in the morning sun....

gallery_5364_778_1170673.jpg

Edited by graceland

The walkways between the two camps (I asked for a Segway, but this request was not granted)

gallery_5364_779_50053.jpg

If even people ask, Segways may be issued upon arrival.

This photo belongs in the Wilderness promotional materials.

A lovely relaxing, but fun filled evening with new friends..

..gallery_5364_779_64516.jpg

Going for the sepia look!? Very attractive.

Exciting ele action, and action is what is you wanted!

Edited by Atravelynn

S-O-M-E-B-O-D-Y stop me, I discovered sepia!

:rolleyes:

gallery_5364_779_4198.jpg

but I do like the look....

I'm thinking Steep and Redford could play the roles of Graceland and Greenlantern....

AND OF COURSE --I should be WS Safari's new Marketing Agent. Hordourves & Segways, what more do you need.....21st century safari. :D

I'm thinking Steep and Redford could play the roles of Graceland and Greenlantern....

Hordourves & Segways, what more do you need.

Recalling a discussion of days gone by, wooden walkways everywhere is what you need. From the tents to the dining room to the bar, circling the lagoon, and connecting to the distant airstrip.

I can picture you now in one of those "romantic utilitarian" outfits worn by Meryl Streep in Out of Africa, zipping along on the wooden walkways, on a Segway, perhaps serving hors d'eouvres of chocolate covered strawberries on a doily. In fact I can picture it in Sepia.

Love the sepia, and the idea of you zipping along on your Segway, Graceland. And that lion lolling on his back is priceless!

Hordourves & Segways, what more do you need.

Recalling a discussion of days gone by, wooden walkways everywhere is what you need. From the tents to the dining room to the bar, circling the lagoon, and connecting to the distant airstrip.

I can picture you now in one of those "romantic utilitarian" outfits worn by Meryl Streep in Out of Africa, zipping along on the wooden walkways, on a Segway, perhaps serving hors d'eouvres of chocolate covered strawberries on a doily. In fact I can picture it in Sepia.

A friend of mine actually brought me a long kahki skirt, vest, and scarf to wear. She definitely had been watching way too many old Africa safari movies -

AFRICAN QUEEN, perhaps (love that Hepburn look)

I told her I'd save them for Halloween and my white lab can be my "lion cub"~ and she obviously had never seen me on safari in dirty tees, fishing shorts and unwashed hair. :lol:

We are mesmerized by this large, dominant male lion watching over his domain. Because it is morning, and not a rainy one we assume he is lazing the morning away ~ and he is so goodlooking that we are content to sit and see what happens,

gallery_5364_779_6268.jpg

You can tell he is rather delighted with himself,

gallery_5364_779_33112.jpg

But in a split second he is UP and on all fours, a heightened awarness of something.....so we follow along....

We are thinking," Great, give us an adventure, fella...."

He walks, then he runs - something is in the air ~ a scent? A sound? Zee knows there are several females and adolescents in the area and perhaps he has an inclination they are nearby..

Off he goes -

gallery_5364_778_340887.jpg

and this is who he is after, hoping to run them off....

gallery_5364_779_8472.jpg

He is frenentic now - too many scents; one from the lion pride and one from what must be a kill

gallery_5364_779_60518.jpg

Having run the lions off into the heavy brush and turning to do the same with a group of hyenas trying to take advantage of the situation, he returns to the Buffalo that the females had killed earlier.

How happy and proud he must be to have this to himself, with - obviously - the womenfolk having done the work for him! Ah, life in the bush. A nap, a walk, a run and omg, a buffalo!

He sits down to munch, but decides to be smart, and lug it off to the brush, keeping it away from the vultures,

gallery_5364_779_59340.jpg

gallery_5364_779_16630.jpg

gallery_5364_779_81032.jpg

The Buffalo had to weigh a ton....The strength of the male's jaws, awesome....

He drags it for what seems forever, but he is content and assured that it is his...and only his.

We made a video on the Iphone as we followed him and will be uploading it (eventually) It was yet another incredible adventure at Vumbura....

Meanwhile the lions move away and we find them stalking a journey of giraffes.....and zebras who are keenly aware they are there!

gallery_5364_779_41372.jpg

And it appears the lions are still on watch for Big Bad Male....

Great series of shots of the male lion and his adventures!