Treepol

Thought I should get a move on with this thread as the year is almost one third over. I'll be having an Australian year in 2019 with trips to outback Queensland and regional Victoria. Here are a few birds seen locally around Hobart to get started.

1. Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, Mt Stuart. February 2019.

1282452908_Blackcockatoo.JPG.00bd7dd8cd290a7251ca898a0301495d.JPG

Edited by Treepol

2. Great Crested Terns, Cornelian Bay. February 2019.

2034841649_CrestedTerns.JPG.ce3eb549d428fafc4d2aa0c4cf187691.JPG

Edited by Treepol

3. Eastern Rosella, Hobart Domain. March 2019.

193148275_EasternRosella1.JPG.fedf6368b2c62369ff4572ad1f1ce0bb.JPG

4. Forest Raven, Hobart Domain. January 2019.

1975312031_ForestRaven.jpg.2b16df3842ffd42b07f092e464747a20.jpg

5. Kelp and Silver Gulls, Cornelian Bay.  February 2019.

Kepsilvergull.JPG.7ed528c1048792e2c824b0b4671801a9.JPG

6. Australian Magpie, Hobart Domain. January 2019.

Magpie.JPG.d7a02e6b6a455248aca69dbf29a619c5.JPG

7. Masked Lapwing, Hobart Domain. January 2019.

902330576_MaskedLapwing.JPG.9cf1b04cbe8c98c991eafec07d9af5ce.JPG

8. Pied Oyster-catcher, Cornelian Bay. February 2019.

PiedOyster-catcher.JPG.b31d6bdd4e4457d13c836aa33f765b33.JPG

9. Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Cornelian Bay. March 2019.

Sulphur-crested1.JPG.e037c51ace5faa2919e85acb62da3f7e.JPG

26 minutes ago, Treepol said:

5. Kelp and Silver Gulls, Cornelian Bay.  February 2019.

Treepol, we do not count posts in Big Year; we count birds :D. Thus, it is 5. Kelp Gull and 6. Silver Gull :). You can edit other numbers accordingly.

37 minutes ago, Treepol said:

I'll be having an Australian year in 2019 with trips to outback Queensland and regional Victoria.

It will be a year of colourful birds then!

Welcome to the BY again and so looking forward to bright and colourful birds from Australia. the rosella is stunning. 

Dave Williams

Yes, looking forward to this thread. Time is running out as to whether I ever visit Australia. The distance is daunting but you may persuade me it's worth the effort!!

Woohoo!! I love seeing Australian themed posts ^_^ ...especially because I have hardly scratched the surface of what my home country has got to offer. I have not seen half the birds you have already posted!! Good work!!

Beautiful birds for starters.

@xelas I don't think I will worry about 1 bird as I won't get within a bull's roar of the hare and the tortoise this year!:)

@Kitsafari @monalisa stay tuned, as the Victorian trip has some great parrots, wrens and robins on the birdlist which I would really like to see. Not sure how colourful the birds of the Queensland outback will be.

@Dave Williams I do hope that you get to visit the wonderful land of Oz one day. I hear that there is now a direct flight from London to Perth with Qantas that takes about 17 hours. 

@pedro maia Thanks

10. White-faced Heron, White Beach. April 2019. P1130226.JPG.ae3284f5d9a6a581e613b0fcb8314fae.JPG

wonderful to see birds from Down Under

Peter Connan

Great to see you back for another year, and some really stunning birds already!

@Peter Connan I’ve been a bit lazy this year, all of these photos except for the heron were taken within 5 minutes drive from home while I’m out dog walking.

Still trying for decent shots of the honeyeaters and silver-eyes in the backyard though. 

Dave Williams
On 4/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Treepol said:

@Dave Williams I do hope that you get to visit the wonderful land of Oz one day. I hear that there is now a direct flight from London to Perth with Qantas that takes about 17 hours. 

17 hours in one seat ( economy for this frugal traveller) is more than I would/could  put up with. However, a stop over in Singapore might be a good option!

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

17 hours in one seat ( economy for this frugal traveller) is more than I would/could  put up with. However, a stop over in Singapore might be a good option!

Sounds like a good plan to me!

michael-ibk

Very happy to see you back for another Big Year, and great start!

@Treepol Enjoying your photos. Happy memories of Tassie birds and looking forward to more from other parts of Oz.

@Dave Williams I stopped in Singapore for three nights on the way back from Oz and it was great plus it helped to break the journey and cut the jetlag. Singapore Bird Group and Birding Singapore (a bird guide) are worth checking out on Facebook.

Great start @Treepol and welcome back.  That Eastern Rosella is a very colourful bird - lovely photo.

• 1 month later...

11. Plumed Whistling Ducks and Great Egret, Cuttaburra - Queensland, June 2019.

BED45.JPG.97819b334cd2ddad75fb15cbc39ac2c8.JPG

Edited by Treepol

12.Australasian Grebe - Longreach, Queensland, May 2019.

LON31.JPG.aba81338d476de21a5ed1297e08a8736.JPG