Sign in to follow this  
kittykat23uk

Show Us Your Lemurs!

TonyQ

@@Antee

Great pictures - how lucky to see a baby Indri! (I think the sound of Indri calling is one of the most special sounds in the natural world)

Antee

@@Antee

Great pictures - how lucky to see a baby Indri! (I think the sound of Indri calling is one of the most special sounds in the natural world)

Absolutely. This is a chilling, fantastic sound. Like a Whale-song but on dry land.

Let´s hope the baby-Indri will make the sound for many years onwards.

Tom Kellie

@@Antee

Absolutely. This is a chilling, fantastic sound. Like a Whale-song but on dry land.

Let´s hope the baby-Indri will make the sound for many years onwards.

~ @@Antee

Although I've never visited Madagascar nor seen a lemur, your description above is terrific!

What a compelling description!

Lemur and whale vocalizations — what a juxtaposition!

Love it!

You've added a fascinating layer to @@TonyQ's comment.

Thank you!

Tom K.

AfricIan

I can only echo the words of @@Antee @ @TonyQ, the sound of the Indri is so special - here's a short clip The Call of the Indri. that doesn't really do them justice - just waking to that sound echoing round the forest is one of the top memories from our trip.

DSC_1921.jpge

Black and White Ruffed Lemur

DSC_1939.jpg

Coquerel's Sifaka

DSC_1941.jpg

Indri (also called the babakoto)

DSC_1943.jpg

DSC_1985.jpg

Diademed Sifaka

DSC_2011.jpg

Furry-eared Dwarf Lemur

DSC_2048.jpg

Bamboo Lemur

DSC_2098.jpg

Ring-tailed Lemur (aka King (Queen!) Julian)

DSC_2137.jpg

Sleepy

DSC_2188.jpg

Verreaux's sifaka

Edited by AfricIan

Tom Kellie

~ @@AfricIan

A ‘sifaka’ is a type of lemur?

Tom K.

AfricIan

They certainly are @@Tom Kellie , Sifakas are a genus of lemur from the family Indriidae (as are Indri) and, like all lemurs, are only found on Madagascar. Their name comes from their characteristic "shi-fak" call.

Antee

As I understand it there is some difference. For example Sifakas has the possibility to walk/jump/dance on their hind leg on the ground. Lemurs can not.

The word Sifaka means something like "alarm call" and Sifakas has the possibility to make noises. Lemurs can not.

There is also some difference with their jaws and they are bigger than the Lemurs.

But all in all they are type of a Lemur :)

Edited by Antee

Tom Kellie

They certainly are @@Tom Kellie , Sifakas are a genus of lemur from the family Indriidae (as are Indri) and, like all lemurs, are only found on Madagascar. Their name comes from their characteristic "shi-fak" call.

~ @@AfricIan

My question shows that I've never visited Madagascar or encountered a lemur, let alone a Sifaka.

It's useful to know that they're a mammal named for their vocalization. That's cool!

Thanks for telling me.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

As I understand it there is some difference. For example Sifakas has the possibility to walk/jump/dance on their hind leg on the ground. Lemurs can not.

The word Sifaka means something like "alarm call" and Sifakas has the possibility to make noises. Lemurs can not.

There is also some difference with their jaws and they are bigger than the Lemurs.

But all in all they are type of a Lemur :)

~ @@Antee

Fascinating!

I've never heard of sifaka before, so tonight is a major upward step in my awareness of Madagascar mammals.

They look a bit larger than what I imagined lemurs to be like.

Your helpful post is another link in my gradual understanding of African wildlife.

Thank you!

Tom K.

AfricIan

You're welcome @@Tom Kellie

Madagascar is one of those rare places that everyone has heard of but knows nothing about other than "that's where lemurs come from" Even by "Africa standards" it's a desperately poor country so it's very difficult to argue the case for the government spending what little cash it has preserving wildlife - It’s pretty clear that deforestation is going to continue apace and put more & more pressure on the wildlife but I'd encourage as many people as possible to visit at least once, your tourist $, £, € will make a huge difference. Yes it an be difficult at times but the highs more than outweigh the lows so if you want to be woken to The Call of the Indri then get on that plane, you’ll never see (or hear) one in your local zoo! (& Tom, please don't take this as a "personal instruction", it's aimed at all ST readers!)

Tom Kellie

You're welcome @@Tom Kellie

Madagascar is one of those rare places that everyone has heard of but knows nothing about other than "that's where lemurs come from" Even by "Africa standards" it's a desperately poor country so it's very difficult to argue the case for the government spending what little cash it has preserving wildlife - It’s pretty clear that deforestation is going to continue apace and put more & more pressure on the wildlife but I'd encourage as many people as possible to visit at least once, your tourist $, £, € will make a huge difference. Yes it an be difficult at times but the highs more than outweigh the lows so if you want to be woken to The Call of the Indri then get on that plane, you’ll never see (or hear) one in your local zoo! (& Tom, please don't take this as a "personal instruction", it's aimed at all ST readers!)

~ @@AfricIan

I like how you've worded it.

Very persuasive, causing me to reconsider Madagascar as a possible future destination.

What you've eloquently expressed will do a world of good for Madagascar tourism, having already shaken loose my indifference.

Thank you so much!

Tom K.

TonyQ

@@AfricIan

Great pictures - and it was good to hear the call on the video clip

This topic is quite old. Unless updating a photographic thread with new images, please consider starting a new discussion. Thank you.