Kafue—RETURN TO MY ROOTS—Musekese & Ntemwa, Oct 4-14

Atravelynn

@Atravelynn

I just had a look at  my son Willem's " rather impressive " list of birds sightings in the Kafue and we didn't see the WB Night Heron ,  so it is fantastic that you found it ; we managed to see the African Finfoot three times  but my photos of it can 't match yours ! By the way you remember I asked you which camera you used and apart from the Canon you mentioned the Sony RX 10 - IV and I was so impressed by the sharpness of the images that I bought it in the meantime for my safari to Luangwa in 6 months !

• 2 weeks later...

You'll love the Sony RX 10 - IV.  It really does take sharp shots and does a nice job with motion.  Where it falls short is low light, but all bridge cameras have that problem.  Even the digital SLRs  can be hard pressed in low light.  The number of continuous shoot images  without buffering is very impressive.  I actually took a couple of one-on-one lessons from the camera store where I bought it.  You might consider that.  In 6 months you may be able to figure it all out yourself, though.

It is a nice size for walking safaris in S. Luangwa.  Not as heavy/bulky as a digital SLR.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, Biko said:

Great pictures, thanks for your TR, amazing bug suit you are using. I will remember that whenever I go to visit Kafue ( no fixed plan yet). Do you think the RX10 works well for game drives?

Yes, a great bridge camera.  I also just finished using the RX10 in cold weather, often on foot, sometimes mounted on a tripod and it worked well in that environment too.  I just responded to @BRACQUENE in the post above about the merits of the Sony RX10 - iv.   Right after getting the RX10, I practiced with it for the challenging task of bank swallows zipping past the high sandy cliffs, in and out of their nests, along Lake Michigan.  I also used my digital SLR for the swallows. The RX10's results were great and held their own with the digital SLR, but I had good light.  In lower light, the digital SLR does better.

The guy who convinced me to buy the Sony RX10 told me he no longer uses his digital SLR and relies solely on the RX10.  And he is serious about his photography and has excellent results.

Edited by Atravelynn

@Atravelynn

Nice to hear from you again  and reading that you have been away in the cold on a  trip with the Sony RX10-IV camera gives me hope for another TR ; thanks a lot for the tips I still have to fully exploit the possibilities though but I hope to be ready in July; low light has always been my  main problem but it can not be worse than my other bridge who was doing a very nice job in normal daylight ; anyway as you rightly say portability especially on foot is essential !

@BRACQUENE seems we are at the same level here. I must confess I was never the photographer as my husband is a pro. Still four months to go for me, I just wish we had better weather.

@Biko

I know you will go first to SLNP in June having announced  it the day before I joined safaritalk so I think we might see your report before mine which gives me a bit more time to get used to my gear 😉

3 hours ago, Biko said:

@BRACQUENE seems we are at the same level here. I must confess I was never the photographer as my husband is a pro. Still four months to go for me, I just wish we had better weather.

Practice, practice with the RX10-iv or whatever camera you are taking!  Four months will zip by.

finally finished the TR - i am so jealous that the finfoot always shows so well for you, and that is a fabulous white-backed night heron!

Thanks once again for the most comprehensive TR - it is certainly the root of all our delight.