Game Warden

Show us your bears...

AmyT

@SafariChick http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/05/15/bear-struck-210-freeway/

Late breaking news. :( 1 mile from where I am now, watching the news helicopters. Bear jumped the wall and was hit by a car. Has been tranquilized to remove him and provide medical treatment, but he's not going down without a fight.

post-48414-0-03415800-1494868673_thumb.jpg

Edited by AmyT

SafariChick

@@AmyT oh no! I was thinking it was an adult mama with cubs - did they ever say more about it?

AmyT

Female bear suffered several fractures in her leg and had to be euthanized. :(

That being said (typed,) a bear or several bears have been invading homes in La Verne. On Friday evening, a bear (the same one?) killed a collie in the owner's garage. Another day, someone came home to a bear in their kitchen eating honey and other food.

BobsCreek

Couple grizzly shots from this Spring

post-49804-0-07625300-1496607377_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-70297300-1496607428_thumb.jpg

The_Norwegian

In the midst of the night, this one hurried by my hide. In the borderzone between finland and russia, "no man`s land".

_DSC6436.jpg

Dave Williams

Sloth Bear.   Yala NP. Sri Lanka.

You'd have thought he might have had a wash and brush up before the photoshoot.

23904081376_16fec3c624_b.jpgSloth Bear   Sri Lanka by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The_Norwegian

some friday-bears :-) have a great weekend everyone! 

_ASW9149.jpg

_ASW9730.jpg

_DSC7146.jpg

Atdahl

Friday bears are some of the best kind!  Great pictures @The_Norwegian

Alan

Peter Connan

Indeed, Friday bears are very handsome!

Dave Williams

Brown bear in Estonia.

41337173050_f92f5c1f14_k.jpgBrown Bear  Estonia by Dave Williams, on Flickr

pomkiwi

Close encounter

With a guide at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark NP, Alsaka. We were sitting by a small creek expecting a couple of adolescent brown bears to walk past, which they did:

MFH_1446.jpg.6d53281dc0e85d50032d4d040adcd3ac.jpg

We didn't expect one of them to come back round behind us and appear from just above my right shoulder:

MFH_1552.jpg.9afe3778483127ebb12bc4a1975d5153.jpg

He then proceeded to give me a sidelong galnce before moving away:

MFH_1555.jpg.dd59884db483f7f85db2ca234974c6fc.jpg

The first taken at 110mm and the last two at 80mm (leaning back), Nikon D500 and 80-400mm lens.

One of several great bear encounters (and one less planned that I will describe in a trip report to come).

SafariChick

Good to see some new entries to this thread this summer. Excited to hear that you went to Silver Salmon Creek @pomkiwi  and great shots! we loved it when we went - look forward to the report!

Dave Williams

Wow! @pomkiwi That's when you discover adrenaline is brown and runs down your leg!

pomkiwi
1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Wow! @pomkiwi That's when you discover adrenaline is brown and runs down your leg!

The close encounters with a guide were exciting and interesting, the moments that raised the adrenaline were when hiking on our own through woods with evidence of recent bear activity and (much more intensely) when out on my own at SSCL when a bear decided to mock charge me - took a while for my heart rate to settle after that one: 

MFH_2287.jpg.49a2b5786d5bf385fedabe7641054e12.jpg

Dave Williams

@pomkiwi I'm not sure that having a guide would make it any safer would it? At least the charging one is a baby having a bit of fun, but you don't know that for sure!! Looking forward to hearing the full story details.

pomkiwi

@Dave Williams I have some faith in the guide being able to read a situation rather better than I can. If all else fails however they are somebody to stand behind :)

SafariChick

@Dave Williams I've been to the same place @pomkiwi is posting photos from - the bears there are very habituated and you can stand very near them even with cubs while they are digging up claims or feeding on grass in a meadow, they are aware you are there but not concerned.  The guides are very experienced with their body language also, just like guides who are trained in walking safaris in Africa and they have you always stay in a group together when near the bears.   Here's a photo showing how close people were able to stand to the bears (sometimes even closer if the bear chose to walk closer) 9533691181_5a3a3c62fe_c.jpg

pomkiwi

A lonely life.

DSC_6493.jpg.b780240a3dda91f55956df223dfa0d15.jpg

Most of the time bears lead a solitary life and actively avoid contact with others (with the exception of mothers and cubs of course). Here one has the beach to itself as it searches for clams.

Nikon D500, 80-400mm lens @80mm. f/4.5, 1/3200 sec, ISO 200. No post-processing.

shazdwn

Brown bear, Knight's inlet, Canada - taken this September

Safari-.jpg

pomkiwi

A bit of cuteness for Thursday. This coastal brown bear cub took a close look us while we were on the beach at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark NP, Alaska.

MFH_1101.jpg.11bc8aeb0b98540f533a570b4524554d.jpg

Nikon D500, 80-400mm lens @ 310mm, f/7.1, 1/500sec, ISO 200

melproffit

E. Washington state 2008

P1040163.JPG

melproffit

Brooks Falls, AK  2011

DSCN1358.JPG

DSCN1782.JPG

DSCN1998.JPG

DSCN2119.JPG

DSCN2160.JPG