Show us your bears...

Game Warden

Here's one I took on Friday evening on the Finnish/Russian border. We stayed in 3 different hides in different locations over 3 nights, the first 2 locations provided us with plenty of bear sightings maybe 20+ individuals. Whereas on this final night we only saw this one bear for about 15 minutes, and after the most beautiful evening light had all but faded.

Olympus EM-1 + 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 Mk 1

@200mm, F4, 1/100, ISO1600

28059984683_370b79e023_b.jpg

@@IamFisheye just beautiful. I hope you can find the time to share a bit more about your trip. Locations, logistics etc Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
The_Norwegian

The golden eagle is a massive bird and a very effective hunter and a bird many animals needs to look out for. This animal though, could not care less about the eagle :-) all of a sudden the table has turned and the eagle has to wait for its turn at the carcass.. Smart move ;-)

23775404240_56e24bd52e_h.jpg_ASW0350 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

• 5 months later...

My next dream is to see brown bears in Alaska (or anywhere really!) We don't get any bears in Australia, but I did get to see polar bears in Canada :)

PrxP72ah.jpg

7KziccMh.jpg

These were taken from a helicopter so quality is unfortunately not the best here

dcp0HxZh.jpg

buualJ3h.jpg

4GQbUlWh.jpg

• 2 months later...
gatoratlarge

Grizzlies feeding on salmon near Brooks Lodge. Here are a couple from the Katmai Peninsula --- scanned images from film photos I took:

post-6239-0-90060300-1493926295_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-04072800-1493926302_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-03946300-1493926311_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-52991100-1493926317_thumb.jpg

gatoratlarge

Wow--- good question @@SafariChick it may have been the late 90s! Those are scans from pictures I took with a film camera before I went digital... Brooks Lodge gets booked up so I flew from anchorage and then via a float plane to the lodge. I only had a short day there but it was amazing seeing the bears all over the rapids getting their fill of salmon. I seem to remember 14 bears over that one section of the river...

SafariChick

@@gatoratlarge yup that's how we got there too - we stayed there for several nights, the best though we were there very beginning of August so not the peak time, only saw one bear per day, but you saw 14, wow!! Learned about it from @@Atravelynn! I have a trip report on here somewhere - oh here it is: http://safaritalk.net/topic/11276-alaskan-adventure-an-american-family-safari/

Edited by SafariChick

I've been thinking about squeezing in a trip to Vancouver Island this summer to look for bears. Perfect timing to see this topic!

Atravelynn

I've been thinking about squeezing in a trip to Vancouver Island this summer to look for bears. Perfect timing to see this topic!

It is Canada's 150th Birthday and to celebrate parks are free. Could be a bargain or could be harder to book.

SafariChick

@@AmyT Wow!!! so how did that end?

@@SafariChick, that was the end of the story as far as I know. Bears come down into our neighborhoods all the time (happily, or maybe unhappily? I am miles from the foothills). That same day, a friend of mine posted a picture of a bear in her backyard.

We get mountain lions locally too; they use the storm drains as highways and have popped up in the vicinity of the school where I work.

@SafariChick http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/05/15/bear-struck-210-freeway/

Late breaking news. :( 1 mile from where I am now, watching the news helicopters. Bear jumped the wall and was hit by a car. Has been tranquilized to remove him and provide medical treatment, but he's not going down without a fight.

post-48414-0-03415800-1494868673_thumb.jpg

Edited by AmyT

SafariChick

@@AmyT oh no! I was thinking it was an adult mama with cubs - did they ever say more about it?

Female bear suffered several fractures in her leg and had to be euthanized. :(

That being said (typed,) a bear or several bears have been invading homes in La Verne. On Friday evening, a bear (the same one?) killed a collie in the owner's garage. Another day, someone came home to a bear in their kitchen eating honey and other food.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple grizzly shots from this Spring

post-49804-0-07625300-1496607377_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-70297300-1496607428_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
The_Norwegian

In the midst of the night, this one hurried by my hide. In the borderzone between finland and russia, "no man`s land".

_DSC6436.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The_Norwegian

some friday-bears :-) have a great weekend everyone! 

_ASW9149.jpg

_ASW9730.jpg

_DSC7146.jpg

Indeed, Friday bears are very handsome!

• 10 months later...

Close encounter

With a guide at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in Lake Clark NP, Alsaka. We were sitting by a small creek expecting a couple of adolescent brown bears to walk past, which they did:

MFH_1446.jpg.6d53281dc0e85d50032d4d040adcd3ac.jpg

We didn't expect one of them to come back round behind us and appear from just above my right shoulder:

MFH_1552.jpg.9afe3778483127ebb12bc4a1975d5153.jpg

He then proceeded to give me a sidelong galnce before moving away:

MFH_1555.jpg.dd59884db483f7f85db2ca234974c6fc.jpg

The first taken at 110mm and the last two at 80mm (leaning back), Nikon D500 and 80-400mm lens.

One of several great bear encounters (and one less planned that I will describe in a trip report to come).