Aussie birds

graynomad

~ @@Geoff

Reading an old book yesterday I noticed a reference to what was translated as “an Australian brushturkey’.

Is there such a species?

If so, is it a feral version of North American turkeys, or is it an Australian endemic species?

I'm unable to find any information about it here, especially as there's no binomial nomenclature name available.

Tom K.

Hi @@Tom Kellie

Australian Brush-turkey Alectura lathami (also known as Scrub turkey) is an Aussie endemic species. Fairly common down the eastern seaboard from far north Queensland to New South Wales south coast. There are not found where i live but I've seen them in my sisters backyard on Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

Try this link for more information. http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Alectura-lathami

Hi @@Tom Kellie

Australian Brush-turkey Alectura lathami (also known as Scrub turkey) is an Aussie endemic species. Fairly common down the eastern seaboard from far north Queensland to New South Wales south coast. There are not found where i live but I've seen them in my sisters backyard on Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

Try this link for more information. http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Alectura-lathami

~ @@Geoff

Many thanks for that.

The link is very helpful.

From what you observed firsthand in your sister's backyard, are they nervous, skittish birds, or more easygoing?

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

From what i have observed in my sisters backyard and other places where they are used to humans the Scrub Turkeys think they own the place.

Often they are too busy scraping about in the leaf litter to worry about you. It's when you get very close that they might dash away but then only for a few metres.

We have about 14 of them here every day (up near Bundaberg). They are not nervous at all, if you stand still they will approach with a view to pecking your toes. We even have some of them come inside. :)

Watching their antics can be hours of fun for the whole family as they chase each other up the trees, under the house, etc.

~ @@Geoff and @@graynomad

This is very interesting, as until your comments, I'd never known about them.

It sounds as though they're a species that's relatively unaffected by human activities.

I'm glad I asked, as this opens up understanding of a type of Australian bird completely unfamiliar to me.

I like this Aussie birds section as I've never visited Australia, hence nearly all of its avian species remain to be seen...someday.

Many thanks to both of you!

Tom K.

Out for a walk yesterday afternoon in the Ironbark forest (Ironbark is a type of Eucalypt) near my home, testing the recovering broken leg on uneven terrain. To my delight and astonished surprise I had one of my best sightings for 2015. Whilst stopped at a dried waterhole I had the feeling I was being watched. I looked around, then looked up... I had to walk back to the car park, drive home and return with the camera even though I knew I'd only get a record shot.

Powerful Owl (Ninox strenua)

post-5120-0-10855800-1450748250_thumb.jpg

~ @@Geoff

The ultimate avian surveillance image.

The crooked neck to peer downwards at the lens — classic.

The barred plumage is beautiful.

Funny, I'd never thought about owls in Australia.

What a fine sighting and great photograph.

Very glad that you're out and about.

Thanks for sharing this.

Tom K.

• 2 months later...
theplainswanderer

i have at least 2000 images in my Australian birds collection - hard to pick some for this forum but heres just a few

Chestnut-breasted Manikins

Pale-headed Rosella

Black-necked Stork

Crested Shrike-tit

Plumed Whistling-ducks

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

Hooded Robin

attachment=39879:manikin-male.jpg]

post-47774-0-54183000-1457177215_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-95759500-1457177222_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-03247000-1457177228_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-56892500-1457177265_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-16717300-1457177319_thumb.jpg =39880:lorikeet.scaley.bstd.jpg]

post-47774-0-29167500-1457177620_thumb.jpg

post-47774-0-20680800-1457177922_thumb.jpg

michael-ibk

All stunning. Particularly love the Crested Shrike-Tit and that Green Parrot(?).

@@theplainswanderer

Superb photos - the Pale Headed Posella looks like it has been spray-painted.

I love the Crested Shrike-tit

Peter Connan

All of these are superb David!

@plainswanderer - brilliant photos - the Scaly-breasted Lorikeet is particularly impressive

• 11 months later...

Red tailed black cockatoo - Bargara, Queensland

ce9GVaCh.jpg

Lovely bird.

Do you live in Bargara @@monalisa? I'm not far away in Gin Gin.

@@graynomad Unfortunately not. I'm from Sydney. I came up for a short trip to visit Lady Elliot Island. Have you seen the turtles at Mon Repos? You are so lucky to live near there!

No, like most people that live near something I never go look at it, can always do that "next week" eh? :)

• 1 year later...

Sulphur-crested cockatoo

UPqWrPLh.jpg

Rainbow lorikeet

EqL2j7fh.jpg

Australian king parrot (male)

cbgkdkkh.jpg

Australian king parrot (female)

5yGtHceh.jpg

Crimson rosella

vcsgnQUh.jpg

Kookaburra

bdZeoqBh.jpg

Australian brush turkey

9gnj1Xbh.jpg

xvndYUNh.jpg

Australian magpies

OF3Ldcjh.jpg

Noisy miner

uHNDno8h.jpg

• 7 months later...

Galah

ExbRDUKh.jpg

Noisy miner

58AiWzkh.jpg

Sulphur crested cockatoo

l5K4NrVh.jpg

Kookaburra

E38fXbIh.jpg

Australian king parrot (female)

J4roWiJh.jpg

Australian king parrot (male)

KKCSA9kh.jpg

Australian raven

jCiLYMmh.jpg

Rainbow lorikeet feeding its absolute beast of a baby

1NrbZCdh.jpg

UrBIQ98h.jpg

Cockatoo squabbles

W1HsDBXh.jpg

dbWRwV2h.jpg

ad6Jeozh.jpg

eZr02mMh.jpg

eMVOFuSh.jpg

BPu1Tggh.jpg

f7NWaJQh.jpg

MSS7h7qh.jpg

s9OnMIch.jpg

IsH5uDbh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
melproffit

How about New Zealand? 2010 trip. first shot one of a few nuisance Kea encountered on the trip.

Panasonic 255.jpg

Panasonic 166.jpg

• 7 months later...

Merry Christmas from North Queensland and a beautiful Christmas present for me.  A Torresian Imperial Pigeon nesting just outside my house.  Thank you Santa.

Torrie.jpg

Edited by ElaineAust

• 2 years later...

A Sacred Kingfisher feeding in the Daintree River, North Queensland:

DSC_2664.jpg.e9d6bbaf6dd75b92a6415d85d77b6ede.jpg

Nikon Z6ii, 100-400mm S lens @ 400mm, 1/500 sec, f/7.1, ISO 720