Show us your wolves... (exc Africa)

Game Warden

Please include species details, when and where taken, tech specs and any other pertinent details about the sighting. Thanks, Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

In the absence of anything better, here is my distant shot of 06 the alpha of the Lamar pack returning to her den. sadly she was shot when she strayed outside Yellowstone park last year :(

5823457725_e9e55df74b_z.jpg

P6041141 cropped Wolf 06 the Alpha female returning to her den by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

• 8 months later...

There aren't too many better wildlife experiences than watching a wolf and hearing it howl. It's THE symbol of the wild for me. As most people know, Yellowstone is a great place to see wolves. I was lucky enough to see wolves through a Ranger's scope on our first trip and we have been hooked ever since. We have yet to have a close encounter or even taken a really good picture but we have seen wolves every trip. Having a scope with you is key in Yellowstone.

From May 2008:

Gray%20Wolf-M.jpg

From June 2013:

DSC_1117_edited-1-M.jpg

Wonderful shots! The second wolf looks quite skinny. Can you tell us more about them, which pack they are from, are they known to the researchers?

This video is of a drive I took in Velavadar this year, about 12 mins in there is some footage of a lone Indian Grey wolf.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Here is a still of the same wolf:

8617333100_e7778e15f6_b.jpg

Can you see the video? Something odd is going on with YouTube..

@kittykat23uk - I am not sure which pack either wolf is from. I never got my "wolf card" this year from YPF and didn't manage to ask anyone while I was in the park.

• 1 year later...

the current Alpha female of the Lamar Canyon Pack - 926F, daughter of '06 the Lamar up above

the-chase-1-joshua-able.jpg

755m, former mate of '06 of the Lamar Canyons, now Alpha male of the Wapiti Pack

the-old-man-joshua-able.jpg

Big Tornado, Daughter of 926f, Grandaughter of 755m and '06

slinking-bobs-creek-photos.jpg

kittykat23uk

Beautiful! I must get back to Yellowstone soon! :)

@@BobsCreek beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

thank you

Beautiful! I must get back to Yellowstone soon! :)

be warned. yellowstone is over flowing with people the last couple of year. this year it has 20% more than last year, which was a record year. best times to visit would be may-june for you I suspect, unless you come for the winter and focus on the wolves

@@BobsCreek how do you manage to find the wolves and get close enough to them to photograph them so well?

@@BobsCreek how do you manage to find the wolves and get close enough to them to photograph them so well?

I spend most of my time in Yellowstone and wolves are my favorite animal :) they do wander close to the road at times, the farthest any of those wolves are from a road is about 300 yards.. when I get bored I will post more, Im just hoping somebody else sees this thread and adds their own shots.

check Bobs Creek Photos on Facebook

We were there over Christmas couple of years ago, right after the Lamar alpha female & more had been shot outside the park. My memories of Yellowstone are all tinged with sadness because I had been so looking forward to seeing that pack & had been following them so closely. I stopped after that. Does my heart good to see the pack flourishing again, @@BobsCreek - thank you so much for sharing these :)

Edited by Sangeeta

@@Sangeeta

its been very tough and go.

in March of that year 755m came back with a new female, right when two daughters (including 926f) came back with new boyfriends. the boyfriends chased Dad (755) off and the daughters killed his new mate.

that spring there was a pup, if not more that didnt make it. The daughter who had them has since left. 926f was there and stayed with an out of park male. last year they had 6 pups! all was well till May of 2016 when the male was killed by the Prospect Peak Pack. It really was amazing. He knew he was going to die and he defended his mate and 11 month old pups.

926f and her yearlings got back to the Lamar (they had been on walk about when this happened) and they we doing ok. Mom needed help because she was getting ready to den and the yearlings were not much help. What happens? 3 Prospect Peak males wander into the Lamar and strike up a romance.

The 6 yearlings didnt handle this well and all went on walk about.

926f now has a new male and his sidekick, some of the pups have returned. at least one was killed by a godless poacher on the border of Yellowstone.

they have new pups this year and things seem to be ok.

• 1 year later...
The_Norwegian

The alpha-couple of a six-pack from the finnish-russian border zone, "no mans land". beautiful pair!

23703109699_124d508f41_h.jpg_ASW0983 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

Rugged Point Marine Provincial Park, Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Shot through the door of my tent with a Fuji X-T1 and Fuji XF 55-200mm zoom at the 200mm end, sometime after sunset.

28991096520_6f4e06988a_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@@The_Norwegian, just had another look at your Wolf photos and they really are beautiful. @@Swazicar, what a fantastic sight outside the tent. Amazing what different habitats around the world support Wolf.

• 8 months later...
kittykat23uk

I think these are the same wolves as @TheNorwegian saw:

21723828780_eb2b988e66_c.jpg

Eurasian Grey Wolf & European Brown Bears by Jo Dale, on Flickr

21911894785_7db7d7c181_c.jpg

21921599741_c92daf6dd6_c.jpg

21725315589_9710d42c95_c.jpg

Eurasian Grey wolf by Jo Dale, on Flickr

21912251955_92c2af4174_c.jpg

Eurasian Grey Wolf by Jo Dale, on Flickr

21900354292_a801f7c654_c.jpg

21912352045_13c9f934f2_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Couple grey wolves from Yellowstone National Park

post-49804-0-93531200-1496607499_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-70197200-1496607525_thumb.jpg

Might be a worthwhile idea to require folks to post if animals are wild, captive or baited.