Show us your badgers...

Game Warden

Towlersonsafari

excellent artice and photos, @inyathiwe have been to a few badger hides, but have also been lucky enough to have a hole in the wire fence where badgers come into the graden to see what bird food is left- we do put a few peanuts down but we watch from the conservatory and as long as we are not noisy, they seem fine- and much more confident than the fox that sometimes visits.

• 1 month later...
Dave Williams

I contributed to this topic four years ago....and what a difference time makes. Back then I'd only ever seen one living Badger and as a result of visiting Kruger NP in 2019 and deciding I needed a trail camera I was soon to discover they visit our back garden...virtually every night! I give them a few peanuts and some dried dog food pellets to supplement their natural diet and now I watch them from our kitchen window.

7M3A0428.jpg

Wow, that's awesome Dave!

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

I have decided to stop taking photos through the window and moved the camera outside as they are starting to appear earlier while there is still some natural light about.

51354883992_a3c1f16536_b.jpgBadger by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Outstanding Dave!

Fabulous picture of a badger!

Peter Connan

Beautiful!

• 10 months later...

Badger raiding the bird food storage container.

Not the best quality, I really need to invest in a better trail cam.

• 3 months later...

Earlier I offered some advice on how to watch badgers, as I discovered back in July, you don’t need to follow all of that advice, you might just happen to get lucky. Now and again I like to go on a walk with my camera, to take a little exercise and have my camera just in case I see something of interest, if I’m going out on the spur of the moment, because the weathers nice, I can’t always be bothered to change into drab clothing, I will go out in whatever I happen to have on, on this occasion, I had a light blue sweat-shirt on, that I’d put on just because my shirt was largely white and even more conspicuous. When I set off, I didn’t have any intention of looking for badgers, however, I did end up next to the wood where the sett is, that I have visited a few times and where most of my previous shots were taken. Just on the spur of the moment, I went into the wood, not really expecting to see anything, as it is nearly impossible to walk quietly, so any Roe Deer or Muntjac would likely scarper, before I had much chance of photographing them, but I could get lucky or maybe find a fox or something else. Without consciously meaning to go there, I suddenly realised that I had arrived at the badger sett, so I thought, I suppose I could wait and see if they will come out, because I could clearly see, that the sett was still active.

I looked at my watch and saw that it was already almost 20:30, and I’d intended to head back at that time, so I thought maybe not, if they do come out it might not be until after 21:00 and I’m really not sure I want to wait that long. Just as I was about turn around head home, I was surprised to see that there was in fact already one badger out and clearly visible. So, I backed up against a tree, stood as still as I could and started taking photos, thinking that they are sure to spot me, because of my pale sweatshirt. Evidently, they didn’t, I did say in my earlier advice that their eyesight is not good, this encounter really proved the point, because I was able to move around a little bit, going from one tree to another a few feet away and back, just keeping still if one appeared to be looking in my direction and they weren’t bothered, they didn’t seem to know I was there at all. I must have watched them for a good 20 minutes taking photos and a little video, standing up the entire time, but I was obviously lucky that the wind was in my favour, had that not been the case, then I am sure they would have caught my sense and disappeared underground, after seeing a number of them head of through the wood to go foraging, I quietly turned around and headed home pleased with my unexpected encounter.     

52202345466_6dd7e38d4e_o.jpg

52203814722_1dc1a7cfb8_o.jpg 

52218653602_a68c3a0a80_o.jpg 

52237543772_8240ed6891_o.jpg 

52252169287_e1368ea5f2_o.jpg 

52258099907_a6046ec340_o.jpg 

52243983469_c391494d2a_o.jpg 

52265869471_72e8e4304f_o.jpg 

52277254291_e48048c464_o.jpg 

52284656841_d7b6a5c366_o.jpg 

52293103692_fb9d78f545_o.jpg 

52309118045_1cd7b54356_o.jpg 

52325825904_49ec7d6375_o.jpg 

52342191107_bc67c79b53_o.jpg 

52231946764_c5f887d67e_o.jpg 

52386824355_a469167699_o.jpg 

offshorebirder
2 hours ago, inyathi said:

I must have watched them for a good 20 minutes taking photos and a little video

I am very jealous - I have never seen a badger.

Very cool!  So much different looking than the ones here in the US.

@offshorebirder

@Atdahl

Thanks, it's good to know that in our nature depleted country, we still have some wildlife to be envious of, I think your American badger is solitary, as well as looking quite different to ours, but I'd be happy if I see one, one day. After seeing so much amazing wildlife around the world, it's easy to think our wildlife is a bit boring, it's good to see these wild badgers and remember that we do still have some nice mammals in the UK, worth making a little effort to try and see,

what a fabulous sighting! very jealous indeed. 

Wonderful!