Show us your foxes...

Game Warden

Include when and where seen, tech specs and any other pertinent details about the sighting. Thanks, Matt.

Early Christmas present last year...this beauty showed up underneath our suet feeder on Dec 23

8326546017_5a77f7daed.jpg

Bat-eared fox at Duba Plains September 2010

post-17651-0-84486600-1360042978_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
africapurohit

@@marg - nice photo but it's a side-striped jackal :) . Duba Plains has a healthy population of these and bat-eared foxes.

Edited by africapurohit

• 7 months later...

I never get tired of looking at fox pictures (which is why it's my avatar :) ).

So, here are a few of mine:

Red Fox vixen and kit. We waiting for 3 hours in the cold drizzle in Grand Teton National Park (a city park in nearby Jackson actually) for our very first fox sighting. It was worth the wait even though this was the only decent picture:

DSC_7193_edited-1-M.jpg

My one and only keeper picture of gray foxes. This was taken on the road leaving Chan Chich Lodge in Belize. I would like to blame the poor quality on the fact that the picture was taken through a dirty windshield. But, it's more likely that my hands were shaking with excitement since these were the first gray foxes we had ever seen.

DSC_0300_edited-1-M.jpg

Finally, here is a shot from this past June in Yellowstone. We hired a guide to take us to a private fox den and were rewarded with a 1/2 hour watching this playful kit pouncing and digging. It was fantastic!

DSC_2141_edited-1-M.jpg

@@Atdahl

Beautiful picture at Yellowstone - I followed the web link and saw your other photos from the trip -it looks beautiful - and great pictures - looks like iyour visit deserves a trip report!

Desert fox cub, Little Rann of Kutch, Gujarat, India. Taken with Olympus E620, 50-200 lens 8619999636_1288721f88_b.jpg

Bat-eared fox at Duba Plains....correct identification this time

post-17651-0-36051400-1383502744_thumb.jpg

Arctic Fox, Churchill, Canada, 2009

Canon 40D, Canon 500m,

iso 400, 1/2500, f/8

arcticfox5790_zps4846949b.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This gray fox was spotted in the ruins of an ancient Mayan city of Xelha not far from eastern coast of Mexico about 90 miles south of Cancun. According to Wikipedia, they are normally nocturnal animals who den high in trees. Their ability to climb is only shared with one Asian raccoon dog among canids. We didn't see him climb, but his strong,hooked claws allow him to climb vertical trunks to heights of 18 meters and jump from branch to branch. It was in the middle of the afternoon when we watched him, just sniffing along the ground and munching as he went.

gallery_22564_950_210573.jpg

This gray fox was spotted in the ruins of an ancient Mayan city of Xelha not far from eastern coast of Mexico about 90 miles south of Cancun. According to Wikipedia, they are normally nocturnal animals who den high in trees. Their ability to climb is only shared with one Asian raccoon dog among canids. We didn't see him climb, but his strong,hooked claws allow him to climb vertical trunks to heights of 18 meters and jump from branch to branch. It was in the middle of the afternoon when we watched him, just sniffing along the ground and munching as he went.

~ Hi, @@Terry!

What a STUNNING image!

I mean, WOW! Hats off in admiration for such a superb portrait.

Other than a few bat-eared foxes seen running at a great distance in Amboseli National Park, I've never seen a fox in the wild in my life.

Your truly lovely image is wonderful, @@Terry! Many thanks for sharing it, and for providing the helpful background information, none of which I knew.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

offshorebirder

@@Terry - while Gray Foxes are adept at tree climbing, to my knowledge they don't den in trees. That would be asking for trouble for their kits from Raccoons, Great Horned Owls, Bobcats, and many other arboreal or avian predators. Edited by offshorebirder

Thanks for the update, @offshorebirder . Per Wikipedia, I should have said they "den in hollow trees". The way I wrote it, it does sound like they den out on branches like birds or squirrels.

Taken this winter in my backyard. It was snowing heavily so the quality is not good.

post-18678-0-76176500-1428873259_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Maligne Lake road, outside Jasper, Alberta, Canada. This Red Fox was "mousing" as it ran through the undergrowthgallery_49445_1286_1471922.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

These photos of a young Red Fox were taken from our bathroom window this morning (it is in our neighbour's garden) in Birmingham, UK

gallery_45513_922_178230.jpg

We thought it was a handsome looking young fox and then noticed it moved a little strangely

gallery_45513_922_242957.jpg

The lower half of the back leg is missing.

gallery_45513_922_99827.jpg

The fox appears to get around well enough and the coat appears in good condition - so I presume it is pretty healthy. There appears to be no blood on the end of the leg.

gallery_45513_922_115208.jpg

Good luck to it!

• 2 weeks later...
Tom Kellie

These photos of a young Red Fox were taken from our bathroom window this morning (it is in our neighbour's garden) in Birmingham, UK

gallery_45513_922_178230.jpg

We thought it was a handsome looking young fox and then noticed it moved a little strangely

~ @@TonyQ

Wow! Great fox series!

Foxes come that close to British homes?

No trepidation? I had no idea that they were so bold.

It has the look of a juvenile, yet I lack any experience with foxes.

Is it likely less than one year old?

Thank you for posting homegrown wildlife images.

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

wow, lots of great shots :)

s585932694733366941_p202_i12_w640.jpeg

Ooo I must have missed this thread. Here are this years cubs hunting for peanuts in my garden. Taken in early June at about 9pm-ish with a Nikon D5300 70-300mm.

post-6053-0-24753400-1439144163_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ooo I must have missed this thread. Here are this years cubs hunting for peanuts in my garden. Taken in early June at about 9pm-ish with a Nikon D5300 70-300mm.

You are so lucky to get them in your garden!!!! I would love, love, love to see a red fox. I've never seen one before.

I can contribute arctic fox photos from my Churchill trip in 2014 though!

Arctic fox doing a poo:

LMQcCeth.jpg

Blink and you'll miss her!

9tQBPf7h.jpg

Waking up

YGBD9deh.jpg

• 3 years later...

Vixen walking towards the setting sun (and hence not noticing me). Taken in the field by my house last evening.

MFH_5402.jpg.5e299c1f3fdca55de5db2afacccf98c5.jpg