Wildlife Safari in Hokkaido Japan!

Nature Traveler

Nature Traveler

Few realise that Japan has an impressive amount of wildlife for nature enthusiasts to appreciate. Last week, we spent 9 days photographing the winter wildlife spectacle in northern Hokkaido. Hundreds of Steller's Sea Eagles, Japanese cranes, Japanese martens, endemic squirrels and much, much more. I think you will enjoy the trip report below!

Cheers,

Coke

http://cokesmithphototravel.com/hokkaido-wildlife-adventure.html

post-17399-0-31481300-1361791477_thumb.jpgpost-17399-0-54286100-1361791511_thumb.jpg

Fabulous! This is the trip I want to take with Ian some day. Any tips on logistics that you can share would be very welcome..

I look forward to reading what else you have to say about these travels. I've never been to Japan, but it is on our radar for some time in the future. I'm a bit of birder so thanks for sharing these pics :)

Nature Traveler

Thanks! Japan is pretty amazing! We live in Shanghai and make it a point to LEAVE China every year during the Chinese New Year festivities - we just can't take it...;-) And we find Japan as a very peaceful and nature-filled destination. Surprisingly it has quite a lot to offer the avid nature enthusiast and photographer. And it is very easy to travel there!

Thanks for a different sort of wildlife journey.

Very interesting and lovely photography. Thanks for posting.

Gorgeous sea eagle and crane photos! Also loved the very cute Hokkaido Squirrels and Japanese Martens. Do you know if the wildlife spectacle will be less in Nov/Dec, e.g., no snow, no sea ice, fewer numbers, etc.? We are planning to go to Japan this year in Nov/Dec.

Nature Traveler

Good question Ovenbird. I think the cranes will be there but the eagles are purely dependent on the ice edge from what I understand. The cranes don't migrate any longer so the are there all year from what I understand...The later in the winter the better for the sea ice and the eagles. Maybe late December is ok. This year was one of the coldest and snowiest on record but normally the ice would not be there in November...December is iffy. The martens can be spotted at Daiichi for sure. Squirrels are common but are hard to - Kinohiroba seems to be a reliable location for them. I would advise that you contact Takeyoshi Matsuo (link is on my blog) - he speaks excellent English and is an expert on the wildlife of the region - he can give you much more solid information than I can. Good luck! You will enjoy Hokkaido for sure!

Lovely, I followed your report link from Fodors, and really loved the report!

Thanks Coke...will need to give the timing of this trip some serious thought.

Coke, just had the pleasure of reading through another one of your excellent adventures. I was in Yellowstone this past Dec and am very struck by the similarities in the winter landscapes. We did not, of course, have your sea component and nowhere near these numbers and varieties of birds, but the fumaroles, the squirrels, the deer, the coyote, the foxes and most of all, the trumpeter swans - all of these bear startling similarities to the wildlife you saw. Perhaps it's just the winterscapes that make it so.

Have you seen the Japanese snow monkeys in winter ever?

Not asking about anything like whales or dolphins because I doubt there are any left in Japanese waters at all :(

Your photos are spectacular and Cokie's poem and crane drawing were lovely too. What a talented child. You must be so proud.

Edited by Sangeeta

kittykat23uk

Actually I think there are some places that do whale watching tours in Japan.

Actually I think there are some places that do whale watching tours in Japan.

I have to confess, I didn't even look to see if there were any! I am surprised to learn that they allow live whales in their waters.

Nature Traveler

Yes - in Rausu they do offer whale watching in the summer, spring and fall months. A few years back, we saw amazing whale action in the waters north of the Hokkaido (Russian waters...) - here is the link to that report:

http://cokesmithphototravel.com/expedition-to-the-kuril-islands.html

But I am sure if the cetaceans know what they do to their kin further south, they'd stay clear for sure!

Sangeeta - Yes - I did get to the snow monkeys in Jigokudani last year at this time and it was fantastic too! Here is our link to that trip report - I think you will find it equally interesting:

http://cokesmithphototravel.com/nature-of-japan-s-chubu-region.html

I agree with your comparison to Yellowstone - I was thinking the same thing while in Hokkaido while there!

Thanks for reading!!!!

Coke

• 1 month later...

So I just managed to finish your snow monkey report. It sounds like an incredible trip and those photos are even better than that ad we used to see on TV! If only Japan were not into whaling, I would have loved to see this for myself. Unfortunately for me, they won't change and nor will I, so have to enjoy these lovely monkeys only through photos such as yours. Did they ever make/release that film they were making while you were there, Coke? That would be the next best thing, I guess.