UK birders, what birds are visiting you?

Game Warden

Game Warden

Have you had any interesting sightings in your area? Any of the usual migratory species arrived yet or is the weather playing havoc with "flight plans"?

As an aside, heard the first cuckoos at the HQ today. They are heading north from Africa and perhaps were hoping for a little Portuguese sun, but it has been pouring with rain almost non stop...

I heard on the news today that the BTO gps collared cuckoo Chris just crossed the Sahara on the way here.

We still had some snow flurries today so he is advised to wait in the warm for a while yet.

Game Warden

I saw a tweet earlier on Twitter that Cuckoos had been heard on the Downs near Lewes...

Been seeing Redwings and Blackcaps. Apart from that, just the usual suspects ... parakeets :)

• 7 months later...

Coming up to Christmas, what winter birds are in your garden? Are you putting any food out for them?

I've a flock of 8-12 starlings coming daily for a feed of mealworms and the sunflower seed feeder is attracting green and gold finches as well as chaffinches, robins and tits. Nothing exotic.

• 2 weeks later...

No Waxwings visiting the North East yet... hoping at least a few venture this way! We've got a couple of Bitterns at the local nature reserve, which I saw at the weekend!

Lots passing through Northumberland on their way North such as Black Throated Diver's, Great Northern Diver's and Long Tailed Skua. These have mostly been spotted flying off the Northumberland coast!

However, the noisy Kittiwakes on the River Tyne are waking me up in the mornings at the moment!

• 10 months later...

What UK birds have you had in your backgardens recently?

Just the usual mostly. Goldfinches and starlings seem to be up in numbers, greenfinches down, though I haven't kept a count scientifically. We are reaching the time when I depart in darkness and return in darkness so don't see much of the garden. Just one slightly unusual visitor this summer

post-6125-0-59822400-1413552693_thumb.jpg

My mum and I twitched a Little crake that's been knocking around at Minsmere recently, a first for Suffolk.

Check out this video i took of him on YouTube:

• 1 month later...

I know winter is starting to get serious when the reed buntings come into my garden from the countryside. Here's a female I saw a couple of days ago

post-6125-0-98764500-1417124955_thumb.jpg

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EF 70-300mm L at 300mm, f/5.6, 1/10 second, ISO 800, hand-held through a dirty (ahem) kitchen window. Processed with Camera RAW 8.7 + PS CC 2014.

Sparrows. Neighbour had a sparrowhawk make a kill of the aforementioned in his garden!