Self Drive in Mozambique or Angola

appleblossom

appleblossom

Hi All,

am considering one of the above countries as an alternative to Zimbabwe, if the elections scupper our plans.

Does anyone have an itinerary that follows an off the beaten track route (I guess they all are in Angola!). We would like to have a similar experience as the one we had planned for Zim. This means National Parks, remote camping, self sufficiency is fine. Small lodges are OK too, if there is no camping.

I gather from what I have read in Angola, that there is no wildlife left to speak of. In that case it would be scenery and stays in National Parks for the quietness.

Mozambique seems to be better situated for the wildlife.

We have three weeks to play with in September. 4x4 hire probably from Jo'burg for Mozambique but maybe Namibia for Angola?

Thank you :)

Mmm - Moz has a bit of a shocking reputation with bribes and roadblock rubbish. I haven't been to Angola for ten years, but it certainly will be an adventurous trip.

You are right - don't expect to see any wild animals in either Moz or Angola. Their conservation ethic has been questionable over the years.

If you are that adventurous/brave, than why not do Zim during the elections? I cant see it being any worse than Moz or Angola.

Are you planning on going alone? - I mean one vehicle? I wouldnt do Moz or Angola without a few vehicles, and I am not normally the cautious type. Why not try Zambia via Botswana?

That may be true, but is Gorongosa open to self drivers?

appleblossom

Thank you all for your replies. former member (and your dad), that was wonderful reading!

I shall have to try and work out logistics.

Ultimately we would love to stick to our trip to Zim.

Reading about the encroachment of China into Zimbabwe and their track record of protecting wildlife and conservation, I really think that to go now rather than later would be wise.

Edited by Tdgraves
p

Places like Angola and Mozambique are for hardened over-landers. More often than not such over-landers travel in convoys or groups, for safety reasons.

I didn't want to scare you, but it wouldn't be right if I didn't warn you. There is nothing wrong with being adventurous, but its better to know the risks.

For good overland advice take a look at http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=148

A good route through Zim to keep you out of main cities would be this one. http://safaritalk.net/topic/6832-overland-kariba/ - There are options to stop at Hwange on the way to fit in a trip to Mana, and come back via Zambia. (drive round Kariba)

appleblossom

Hello, Order of the Pith,

thank you for your reply. I really loved your photos 'sigh'. You were so fortunate to have Rhino Lodge to yourself as it was closed. I just had a quick Google, and it costs $300 pppn now. Your route would certainly be something to consider as an alternative.

I went on to the forum at 4x4 and read a couple of entries. Actually, looking at the photos and reading some reports, I feel that Angola would be a place for us to visit on our own. I understand your warnings and take it all on board. We travelled for a year through Africa (UK to Cape Town), on our own, in a tiny russian jeep. True, we were young then (1980's) and had plenty of time on our hands, but at least we have that experience and an idea of what to expect with off the beaten track destinations.

If anyone is out there who has done this safari on their own, please get in touch?