A new convert to Birding

KageraSafaris

KageraSafaris

I would not be quick to call myself a birder. I am rather more into sightseeing, cultural and ofcourse big game. I recently had a tour to the southwestern part of uganda in the famous Bwindi Impenetrable forest- Ruhija, Echuya Forest and Nyamuliro Swamp and I must say that is where my conversation took place.

I had no clue what fun and joy the birders have. Ofcourse being my first detailed birding trip I was very ethusiastic but also tired from the many species, hence I could not remember alot of the birds. Here are a few I managed to recall, my teammates who are avid birdwatchers and guides ended up with a longer list.

1. African black Duck
  2. African Dusky Flycatcher
  3. African Mash Harrier
  4. African Pied wagtail
  5. Augur Buzzard
  6. Black Sawing
  7. Blue headed waxbill
  8. Brimstone Canary
  9. Bronze manikin
  10. Cape reed Warbler
  11. Caruthers Cisticola
  12. Chubbs Cisticola
  13. Chinspot batis
  14. Cinnamon chested Bea-eater
  15. Common Bulbul
  16. Common stonechart
  17. Dusky crimsonwing
  18. Dwarf honey guide-endemic
  19. Fawn breasted waxbill
  20. Grey crowned crane
  21. Grey throated barbet
  22. Hadada Ibis
  23. Handsome Francolin
  24. Ludhers Bushrike
  25. Mackinons Fiscal
  26. Marabou Stork
  27. Mountain Masked Apalis
  28. Mountain Yellow Warbler
  29. Northern double collard Sunbird
  30. Olive bellied Sunbird
  31. Olive Pigeon
  32. Papyrus yellow warbler
  33. Red faced woodland Wobler
  34. REDCHESTED SUNBIRD
  35. Regal Sunbird
  36. Rwenzori Batis
  37. Rwenzori NightJar
  38. Sacred Ibis
  39. Savanah chested beaeater
  40. Sharp’s sterling
  41. Strange weaver
  42. Swamp flycatcher –n Nyamuliro
  43. Variable Sunbird
  44. Western Green Tinkerbird – high altitude bird
  45. White Necked Raven
  46. White tailed flycatcher
  47. Yellow rumped tinkerbird
  48. Yellow Wagtail
  49. Yellow Whiskered Greenbul
  50. Yellow white eye

I sure will enjoy my new hobby especially considering that in Uganda one can find birds everywhere.

Miriam

KageraSafaris

I agree photos would such a great delight but unfortunately I was engrossed in the birds and didnot take any, also because the camera I carried would need one to be upclose to get a good shot which was close to impossible in the forest - I will need a "birders" camera, one with good lenses. The current one serves well with big game or nature not birds.

@@KageraSafaris I am also "hooked on birds' So a warm welcome to this new addictive hobby :)

A very impressive list for your first birding trip.

Rainbirder

Welcome to a higher level of enlightenment Miriam! B)

Some real birders birds on that list.

KageraSafaris

Welcome to a higher level of enlightenment Miriam! B)

Some real birders birds on that list.

thanks Rainbirder

Let me enjoy this "higher level of enlightement"

kittykat23uk

@@KageraSafaris You can get a lot of good bird shorts with a relatively cheap superzoom camera. I used to use a Panasonic FZ18 before I upgraded to an olympus 4/3 system. The FZ series of cameras have been regularly upgraded since then too. Here is a link to a trip I took to Brazil. Nearly all of the photos were taken with the Panasonic on that trip:

owenshaffer

Dear Miriam,

Many people including of course learn to love birding on safari. I've even met those on the first safari who were already appreciating the sheer joy of it. I learned to love on my second safari because my guides in Namibia ,

Zimbabwe , and Tanzania at least made an effort to identify to me and my fellow tourists various birds. I've never met anyone on at least their second safari who didn't love birding. You can go birding anywhere in Africa, I'd even describe the Kilimani area of Nairobi where I live as a decent place fro birding because I see and hear plenty of lovely birds daily.

I also learned to appreciate many other things on safari such as walking safari, the smaller animals, etc.

The joy of safari is that the only limit to it is one's imagination.

KageraSafaris

@@KageraSafaris I am also "hooked on birds' So a warm welcome to this new addictive hobby :)

A very impressive list for your first birding trip.

Thank you. I am hooked, now I am working on learning the different birds - very addictive indeed.

My friends think therez something fundamentally wrong with me- heheheh

KageraSafaris

@@KageraSafaris You can get a lot of good bird shorts with a relatively cheap superzoom camera. I used to use a Panasonic FZ18 before I upgraded to an olympus 4/3 system. The FZ series of cameras have been regularly upgraded since then too. Here is a link to a trip I took to Brazil. Nearly all of the photos were taken with the Panasonic on that trip:

@@kittykat23uk, thats helpful. Will keep that in mind. beautiful shots you took!

• 3 months later...
KageraSafaris

gallery_17742_869_2863.jpg

Its been an interesting season here in Uganda for me and the people at Kagera Safaris. On personal note, I have enjoyed birding the environs of Kampala and been amazed at the population of bird species in and around Kampala. Of course the seeing the Shoebill is exciting every time. Miriam