Mara Cheetah photos - help the Cheetah Research team

loafer247

Mara Meru Cheetah

Dear friends, thank you very much for your wonderful photos! To date, we identified 67 adult individuals in the Mara and know kinship of 55 of them. To accomplish task, we are looking for images of mothers with cubs of different ages photographed in 2002-2012. For identification, we use spot patterns on the limbs and spots and rings on the tail. For more details see: http://marameru.org/eng/project/cheetah-identification/ Please note, that profiles of walking, standing or sitting cheetahs are the best for identification. All photographs contain date and time (if it was set up in the camera) which helps keeping personal cheetah records, while posted pictures don't have this important information. We would highly appreciate if you could send your original photos of cheetah profiles of single individuals or groups to mara-cheetah@mail.ru Thank you for your support!

Mara Meru Cheetah

I would like to thank Dhruv, who kindly sponsored Mara-Meru Project stand at the first ART FAIR held at Sarit Center in Nairobi for given opportunity to display my art works, and all visitors of the Fair for sharig ideas and offering collaboration, and for purchasing my art pieces. Thank you Dhruv for your continuous support of our work! And thank you all who are willing to support our projefct! We appreciate any help

Mara Meru Cheetah

Special thanks to Matt for coordination our project with Safaritalk great team

Mara Meru Cheetah

@@ice

Yes, certainly, it would be easier to us working on photos if they are sent by e-mail. Please send your photos to: cheetah9@mail.ru Please be sure that theiesize is not less than 1Mb. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Elena

Mara Meru Cheetah

@@ice

Yes, certainly, it would be easier to us working on photos if they are sent by e-mail. Please send your photos to: cheetah9@mail.ru Please be sure that their size is not less than 1Mb. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Elena

Mara Meru Cheetah

isn't it possible to submit the photos via eMail? I have dozens of pictures from half a dozen visits to the Mara, some more than 10 years old - sorry but it's too much work to upload them here pic by pic

Yes, I will highly appreciate if you could send your photos to cheetah9@mail.ru . Please be sure that the size of pictures is not much less than 1Mb. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Elena

19th November 2010, Olare Orok Conservancy, Mother (very distictive scar on cheek) with 2 sub-adult cubs

DSC_1189.jpg

DSC_1190.jpg

DSC_1202.jpg

DSC_1206.jpg

DSC_1213.jpg

Can you work with .NEF Raw files or do you need .jpeg? If you let me know I'll email them through.

Sorry @@Mara Meru Cheetah, forgot to "mention you" in the above post - Can you work with .NEF Raw files or do you need .jpeg? If you let me know I'll email them through

• 1 month later...
Mara Meru Cheetah

Dear Ian,

Thank you very much for your great photos. The female you saw was Narasha, who isthe oldest female in the Maraat the moment. If you have profiles of both of her cubs of 2010, please send them to: mara-cheetah@mail.ru

I can work with NEF, but they might be too large to send. Therefore, I would prefer Jpeg of 1-9 Mb. Thank you. Elena

Edited by Mara Meru Cheetah

Mara Meru Cheetah

Oh! How did I miss that????

Not sure now ...... She wanted me to email them to her.

Maybe @@loafer247 can give us some input too as how to take this forward.

Definitely, sending photos via e-mail saves a very important information - date and time which saves automatically if these parameters were set up in the camera. All picturesposted on the Internet lose these data and wecannot use these photos for thepersonal cheetah records.

Edited by Mara Meru Cheetah

Mara Meru Cheetah

Sorry @@Mara Meru Cheetah, forgot to "mention you" in the above post - Can you work with .NEF Raw files or do you need .jpeg? If you let me know I'll email them through

Dear Ian,

Thank you very much for your great photos. The female you saw was Narasha, who isthe oldest female in the Maraat the moment. If you have profiles of both of her cubs of 2010, please send them to: mara-cheetah@mail.ru

I can work with NEF, but they might be too large to send. Therefore, I would prefer Jpeg of 1-9 Mb. Thank you. Elena

Mara Meru Cheetah

Masai Mara, Burrangat Plains, two males, Late Jun , 2010:

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

DSC_8207.JPG

DSC_8211.JPG

1197519384.JPEG

1197504392.JPEG

1197616128.JPEG

1197650800.JPEG

1197632384.JPEG

Your pictures are great. Would ypu please send the one with a profile to cheetah9@mail.ru? If you have any other profiles, would ypu pleasesend them too? Thank you. Elena

Mara Meru Cheetah

isn't it possible to submit the photos via eMail? I have dozens of pictures from half a dozen visits to the Mara, some more than 10 years old - sorry but it's too much work to upload them here pic by pic

Sending photos via e-mail saves a very important information - date and time which saves automatically if these parameters were set up in the camera. All picturesposted on the Internet lose these data and wecannot use these photos for thepersonal cheetah records. You can send photos to cheetah9@mail.ru Thank you. Elena

Mara Meru Cheetah

IMG_0954-2.jpg

Here is a photo of a mum and two sub-adult cubs taken in April 2012 near Double Cross. This photo was taken by by good friends and professional photographers Aatish and Aashit Patel

That was Resy, the oldest Mara cheetah ever recorded. I observed her in 2001, and the last spotting was when she was 13 yars old! We now observe her daughter and grand-daughter in the Mara

• 1 month later...

The Mara Meru Cheetah Project is finally starting in Meru, the website of which can be found here: www.marameru.org. Where should photos of Merus cheetahs be uploaded or are Safaritalk only supporting documenting of Mara cheetahs?

We on Safaritalk are also supporting the project by documenting cheetahs in the Masai Mara here, so if you have any images taken of cheetahs in the Mara please upload them there.

Game Warden

Not at all and thank you @@nhanq for bringing this up: I'll open a new topic for the Meru cheetahs this afternoon. @@Safaridude and myself had a wonderful sighting last year which will be added to the index. In fact, I'm waiting for Dr. Chelysheva to return the indepth interview I've recently done with her to shine more light on the project and her work.

Matt

Mara OM conservancy near Mara Plains

Morning 02/17/2015

post-5364-0-28416300-1425386724_thumb.jpg

post-5364-0-65968000-1425386764_thumb.jpg

post-5364-0-22771800-1425387095_thumb.jpg

We saw 10 cheetah in one day; will attempt to gather all I have and mail them to the Cheetah team...Unfortunately they all look alike to me, but I did see one very scrawny cheetah attempting to hunt, unsuccessfully.

The unsuccesful hunter -

post-5364-0-21001400-1425388025_thumb.jpg

post-5364-0-29769700-1425388044_thumb.jpg

and this cheetah on our way from the Mara Reserve to Mara Plains from the timestamp...

post-5364-0-37842000-1425388151_thumb.jpg

We also saw Maiikia and her cubs in the Mara reserve; a sucessfull hunt and lots of playtime. I believe my travel companions took notes of names; and perhaps can add to the pics/list.

Having only seen one or two cheetah in 2010; and again in 2012; I am not an expert in recognition!

Edited by graceland

As going through some pics today I found a rather thin cheetah we saw as we moved from Nkorombo in the Mara over to Mara Plains...if it helps..

All of us felt so bad for this cheetah as it was apparently hungry and not very successful at hunting. We thought of it often the next few days hoping a kill had been successful.

post-5364-0-36255300-1425427209_thumb.jpg

post-5364-0-31165700-1425427230_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

post-49296-0-62906400-1427888062_thumb.jpg

Photographed in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, on 21 August, 2014 at 12:24 pm, with a Sony RX1 R camera.

ISO 100, 1/500 sec., f/5, 35mm, handheld Manual exposure.
In an ecology course this would be ‘Female Acinonyx jubatus Nursing Six Cubs’. When I was there I thought to myself, ‘Picnic Lunch in the Shade’.
We were entirely alone with this cheetah family, on the lower side of a gently sloping hill with few distinctive landmarks, although gifted Masai trackers would surely see it differently.
No other vehicles. The safari van had my guide, Anthony, a Chinese graduate student and myself. A light breeze was blowing but it was otherwise silent.
We'd been driving around in search of a raptor I'd spotted when we came upon this savanna crèche.
Anthony shares with me a revulsion at disturbing the domestic life of wildlife, thus maneuvers his van so as to obtain satisfactory photographs with what we hope is minimal disruption.
This 35mm image portrays the peaceful setting more effectively than close-ups with a super telephoto lens.
There were six cubs, which we counted as they crawled around while repositioning themselves. The cub on the mother's head was a kiss-a-holic, bestowing buss after buss on his mama.
Seeing this scene again is such a pleasant memory. Safaris have a way of healing life's bruises. Love how her tail curls around in front of her brood.
Edited by Tom Kellie

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

I think that's Malaika, Tom....

Tom Kellie

I think that's Malaika, Tom....

~ @@madaboutcheetah

I apologize for the tardy reply. Somehow I overlooked this thread.

Many thanks for confirming her identity.

I have maybe 200 other images, several of which may be of interest.

Over time, I'll find and post the better ones, mindful that you kindly identified her for me.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

• 1 year later...

Malaika and her two nearly adult cubs, up near Double Cross

post-51374-0-84287300-1490527130_thumb.jpg

post-51374-0-62183400-1490527143_thumb.jpg

post-51374-0-58547100-1490527159_thumb.jpg

post-51374-0-75109900-1490527196_thumb.jpg

Malaika's daughter was seen near Entim Camp, attempting to hunt Tomis from very long distance and at and after sunset -- uncessfully

post-51374-0-50365500-1490527288_thumb.jpg

post-51374-0-49271800-1490527298_thumb.jpg

Taken in the dark at ISO 102,400 - she had just failed to catch dinner while it ran away (ISO 72,408).

post-51374-0-42801400-1490527350_thumb.jpg

post-51374-0-23306600-1490527510_thumb.jpg