Kenya - Masai Mara 2004

Adam

Hi , I am new to the forum and wanted to share my experiences.

Kenya Masai Mara Report ( 2004 ) Part 1.

It was migration time in the Masai Mara, on this , my one and only visit to Kenya.

An uneventful flight from London Heathrow to Nairobi and the obligatory transfer to the Norfolk Hotel. A luxury beacon in expanding Nairobi. Good location and within easy reach of the suburb of Karen, the home of the Karen Blixen Museum.

I have to say that the Norfolk seems to have lost some of its old world charm which would have been experienced by President Theodore Roosevelt when he stayed there in 1909 before commencing his East African safari complete with 250 porters and guides. Nevertheless a great place to stay with an authentic vibrant bar.

Couldn't sleep, wouldn't sleep. Today was “the” day when we would fly from Wilson Airport, Nairobi to the magnificent Mara. A slightly turbulent journey of 45 minutes and then our scenic descent to the dusty airstrip near to Little Governors Camp. We had arrived and caught our first glimpse of the Masai dressed in red against the back drop of the Mara’s rolling plains which seem to whisper come hither and stay.

A 15 minute journey followed in open land cruiser to Little Governors Camp river crossing. On route I saw my first elephant, wilderbeest, water buck, giraffe, a mischevious troop of baboon and impala ( later to be affectionately known as " cheetah macdonalds " ) This was indeed African heaven.

Hi Adam and welcome and thanks for the above - good start! I still remember the thrill of the fist few minutes on safari seeing the animals in the wild for the first time.

There is something very thrilling about the Mara..the vegetation oozes age, time seems to stand still, the atmosphere is full of expectancy...it is very unique.