Show us your cougars...

Game Warden

Please include when and where taken, tech specs and any other pertinent details about the sighting. Likewise, any advice for others planning a cougar safari. Thanks. Matt.

kittykat23uk

3759047799_00f77395dd_b.jpg

Puma by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Same cat. Both shots taken with Panasonic FZ18. We were one of the last groups to visit this collection before it was shut and the animals rehomed. Have not been lucky to see a wild one yet! :)

If I were going to look for one in the wild then I would go to Torres Del Paine in Chile. Naturetrek do a just pumas tour which is usually a good indication that this is a reliable site. Of course you can have a chance to see these cats in many places in the Americas, Chan Chich in Belize frequently captures pumas on their camer traps, but I don't think that is a good indication that they can be seen easily. I believe they can als be found in the Pantanal, but do not know of anyone who has seen one there.

Max Waugh has had good luck photographing them in costa rica, not sure where exactly.

• 2 months later...

I would love to see one in the wild. We have struck out on 2 trips to Chan Chich and 4 to the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. But someday, we will get lucky. Max's sightings were in Corcovado National Park in the Osa. I think he is leading another group there next year in fact.

• 3 years later...

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge in the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica, in December of 2011. They were spotted during our hike on the Titi Trail. Not the highest quality photos, unfortunately, but it'll clearly remain in our memories forever.

gallery_51215_1632_17556.jpg

gallery_51215_1632_220557.jpg

Edited by KI-NRT

• 3 years later...
Sebastian Kennerknecht

Great topic!

Mountain Lion sixteen month old cub, Torres del Paine National Park, Patagonia, Chile. Taken while leading one of my puma photo trips.

1/800, f/7.1, ISO 800.

IMG-180422-Mountain-Lion-Chile-Sebastian-Kennerknecht.jpg

• 1 year later...
Sebastian Kennerknecht

So excited to head back to Patagonia in a few months to see these cats again. This is Blinka. I have watched her grow up since she was six months old!

IMG-282108-Mountain-Lion-Chile-Sebastian-Kennerknecht.jpg

Beautiful!