9 nights in Kruger, were to stay?

JayRon

I actually asked this question ( well almost) before, but I still haven't figured it out :(

We will be in Kruger from the 21 feb and then stay 9 nights. We will divide the time between 3 camp and stay 3 nights each place. We are a family 2 adults and 2 kids aged 5 and 9. We will hire a 4x4 with camping equipment, so we wanna camp:)

I thought about

Berg-en-dal 3 nights

Balule 3 nights

Tsendze camp 3 nights

But maybe I should switch Balule or Tsendze with another restcamp, maybe Mopani, Shingwedzi or all the way up the Punda Maria.??

Any feedback on those camp would be nice ?

I have stayed at Lower Sabie, Satara and Olifants and they were nice, but we wanna try some new ones this time.

My kids would propably behave a lot better on the gamedrives if they could go to the swimmingpool in the middle of the day :) But we (my wife and I) would prefer the small places, mainly for the bush feeling and the peace and quiet. Hmmmmm........

So any feedback would be highly appreciated :)

I really liked Shingwedzi: few people staying there, not many vehicles around - the Red Rocks loop is very nice and I found a great amount of birdlife in and around the camp along the riverbanks. Saw lots of big tuskers there as well. If and when I get back to Kruger I will base my stay around this public camp.

A reply from the Chief 1, thanks... ;) I will check out the camp, do you know if it is possible to game walks from the camp?

Am no expert and there are many more experienced people on here than I. I just liked the de-stressed and unhurried ambiance of the camp - I only stayed in public rest camps. We took one of the evening drives with ranger: we were the only ones. I believe walks are offered. We didn't do one though.

kittykat23uk

Have you considered doing one of the wilderness trails for 3 nights? If you like walks, this would be just the ticket as you stay in a bush camp and have morning and afternoon guided walks out from camp. The camp is serviced so no need to worry about cooking, and you are the only group using the camp so nice and secluded for that bush ambience. :) We did the oliphants trail.

...I just liked the de-stressed and unhurried ambiance of the camp

This kind of says it all in one sentence - It's one of the two reasons for going on safari; the flora and fauna (especially black rhinos) being the other (for me).

Yes, and with our daughter, it suited us perfectly. Whether it would fit the bill for more experienced safari goers is debatable. But in terms of value for money, it was perfect. Down to the bat which dive bombed us in the rondavel every evening :)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it also depends what you / your kids are hoping to see - the general rule (altough of course not without exception) is: the more north you go, the less chances you have to find the big predators - but of course, the more quite it will become, visitor wise

• 4 weeks later...

@@JayRon nothing wrong with your choice of camps.

Berg-en-Dal has a pool for the kids and some good game viewing roads around.

All the main camps have pools and February is very hot time of the year so ideal to stay in camps with pools.

In the north Punda and Shingwedzi are good camp choices.

There is another camp you can stay at Maroela Caravan Camp close to Orpen gate. The H7 is "big five" road and all the cats can be seen here. Large herds of antelope too.

Unfortunately your children are too young for walks and drives, they have to be 12 and older.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my 6 pence worth:

Depending on your travel times to and from the airport to the camps I'd switch my camps around. The South of KNP is busier than the North due firstly to its proximity and accessibility for local day visitors, secondly for the sheer size of Skukuza rest camp and most importantly due to the good game (both general and big cats) that are often spotted.

Be warned to expect long grass at this time of year throughout the park. Sightings might be a bit tricky even from a 4x4.

Whilst Berg n Dal has it's charm I would recommend either Lower Sabie or Skukuza. Skukuza does have the spoil dinner option of going to the Salati Restaurant. All major or main camps have swimming-pools so fear not. Pretoriuskop as an option in the South must also be seriously considered. It has an amazing swimming-pool.

Satara for me is one of the best camps in KNP due to the high density of Lions. There has been a lot written about the S100 in this area and night drives are hugely popular.

Swingwedzi as a camp was badly damaged in the floods from a year ago and has recently re-opened. I believe the swimming-pool reconstruction hasn't been completed yet, but is imminent. This camp as Matt has mentioned has a very rustic charm to it. One I love, but sadly my wife isn't all that keen on.

Pafuri or Punda Maria is a far drive and you'll find more birders in camp. The bird life in the North is well documented and the camps will be less busy.

My favourite camps in all of Kruger in rank are:

1. Lower Sabie: Spectacular setting on the Sabie River, great sightings of both general game, very good selection of varied roads to do self drives on. This camp in my opinion also, in my opinion, has the best trained Rangers who make for very good game drives. They make the small things as interesting and important as the big things. Sunset Dam a few 100 metres from the camp gate also adds a unique dynamic.

2. Pretoriuskop: Oldest camp in Kruger with a magical setting. Very good swimming-pool with a rock step on the one side. Within easy reach from various entrance gates. Good game and variety of roads.

3. Satara: This camp just breath big cats and the atmosphere around the braai fire here is different to any other in KNP. It is well known that a honey badger and also and African Wild Cat regular roam the camp. So people sit on the veranda's after dinner and with cold drink in hand to see if they'll have any special visitors whilst they recall the day that was.

Any spot you choose in Kruger is bound to have its own charm. So the biggest thing to remember is to switch the car radio, mobile phones and just enjoy the experience.

Regarding the game drives and the earlier comment regarding the age limit. The below is the exact wording as found in the website for the South African National Parks Website. I would be very surprised if the age one your kids is thus an issue.

Note that children under the age of 6 are not permitted to take part in these activities for their own safety.

SelfDriveAfrica

Tsendze is a magnificent camp and one of the jewels of the Kruger. Punda Maria is also a fantastic place to visit and they often have awesome leopard sightings behind the main camp on the night drives. Most Kruger main camps have swimming pools and the kids will have fun.

Enjoy your trip