Show us your chimpanzees...

Game Warden

Please include when and where taken, tech specs and any other pertinent information from the sighting. Thanks, Matt.

• 1 year later...

No posts?

All from Kibale National Park in late August 2014.

i-kk7bGm4-XL.jpg

i-2GKmRwb-XL.jpg

i-3qXgrP4-XL.jpg

Well done @@pault - what kit were you using? Does it make sense to take a smaller focal length lens on the walk? Loving the expressions.

A 70- 200/2.8 lens on full frame.It's what most people would think to take and in this case most people are right and that is what I used.

Definitely it makes sense to have a shorter zoon too. I shot some stuff at 24mm, which is quite wide - not much though. 70mm is rather long for shots with an environmental element.

If your interest is portraits, a 300/4 would be good too (a 300/2.8 best but very, very heavy for an all day trip I think and awkward to use in this environment).

But gear is a challenge in that environment.Better to be master of one tool than slave to two or three.

@@pault did you spot, center weight or matrix meter?

Matrix. The light is too variable and mixed to think anything else would help (even on the faces). Then I use exposure comp based on instinct. Spot would be theoretically better, but in practice I think the exposure would be off by 1-2 stops for some shots.

good call @@pault

spot metering would possibly have got a better 'subject' exposure but would have more than likely need more PP work on the background.

Oop, forgot to say how much I like the photos. stunning (as are the ones in your TR)

Edited by Soukous

Ditto here... Forgot to mention just how much I ve enjoyed seeing these beautiful images. Looked back at them several times.

Chimps, my favorite. I just can't imagine having to leave them in an hour though.

Chimps, my favorite. I just can't imagine having to leave them in an hour though.

Why, where are you gallivanting now? :)

• 10 months later...

post-49296-0-11721300-1441259557_thumb.jpg

Max at the Ol Pejeta Chimpanzee Sanctuary

~ Photographed on 24 July, 2015 at 12:15 pm in Sweetwaters Ol Pejeta Conservancy Chimpanzee Sanctuary, Kenya, with a Sony RX1 R camera.

ISO 100, f/8, 1/400 sec., 35mm focal length, handheld Automatic exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

After leaving Samburu and Buffalo Springs we drove to Nanyuki thence into the Sweetwaters Ol Pejeta Conservancy, which was my first-ever visit to any Kenyan conservancy.

A chimpanzee sanctuary has been established there to care for chimpanzees traumatized in conflicts and predation in other African nations.

This image shows Max, an older male chimpanzee who briefly emerged from shade to nibble vegetable treats. There is considerable care and dedication from the staff, as the chimpanzees often have difficult temperaments as a result of multiple factors. We were surprised at how rapidly Max moved when he was ready to leave.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...