Share your latest sightings...

Game Warden

@@Tom Kellie You must be jet lagged. Last time I was there Kruger was not in Kenya.

Towlersonsafari

Hurrah! @@Tom Kellie you must have been in the Kruger a week or so after us-and what a splendid time with the lush vegetation and what appears to be very fine sightings!

~ Thank you for such a warm welcome and generous comments.

What brings me back to Safaritalk time and again are the kind,

easygoing, supportive comments and encouragement.

As this trip report may not be written this year, here are a few more

images from rain-brightened Sabi Sands and Kruger National Park.

post-49296-0-18812200-1487937055_thumb.jpg

Expressive Eyes

post-49296-0-74008600-1487937093_thumb.jpg

Elephant in a Verdant Setting

post-49296-0-54361400-1487937141_thumb.jpg

Martial Eagle

post-49296-0-71143100-1487937190_thumb.jpg

Beauty Is As Beauty Does

Wow Tom, the lion and nosehorncritter certainly gave you a show!

Three days ago our latest sightings were a group of tenty wild dogs , in Tsavo West NP, hidden in the rhino sanctuary .

post-26959-0-58065300-1488144429_thumb.jpg

post-26959-0-53051200-1488144459_thumb.jpg

as we left them, the youngest wanted to follow the car.

post-26959-0-08367700-1488144475_thumb.jpg

post-49296-0-89228400-1488719606_thumb.jpg

Unconcerned with Eve's Fate

Taken on 18 February, 2017 at 6:20 pm in Kruger National Park, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens

ISO 250, f/2.8, 1/500 sec., 400mm handheld Manual shooting mode in a safari vehicle during in early evening tree shadows

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

~ Baboons crossed the road in warm early evening temperatures at the close of the first sunny day after several days of heavy rain associated with a cyclone passing over from Mozambique.

Next to the safari vehicle this baboon entertained with a careful approach to eating fruit. It tried several surprisingly dainty bites before finally taking a major chunk.

@@Tom Kellie

I was worried you may not go on safari again - but glad to see you fitting in a trip. Lovely photos!

• 2 weeks later...
Ndaro Teddy

post-49520-0-56191500-1490172145_thumb.jpg

Tsavo East National Park, 21/02/2017

Andean fox - at 4000m in the altiplano above the Atacama in Chile. Nikon D7200 with 18-300mm lens. A short trip report will follow later.

post-50257-0-61331200-1490201298_thumb.jpg

post-50257-0-95648900-1490201253_thumb.jpg

post-50257-0-24000100-1490201251_thumb.jpg

@pomkiwi Hope you're getting lots of comfort stops in - those landscapes look amazing - allt those different colours!!

@@Ben mosquito Wow, missed that completely. that really looks like the same pack I saw in the same place in 2008 - or at least a branch of that pack. I hope there is more on this coming? Would love to hear how Tsavo West is faring in the drought - and to hear more about the dogs of course!

Ben mosquito

@@pault, Tsawo west was dry, rivers and waterholes were empty. No big cats seen, but birds were there in large quantities. Dogs in the rhino sanctuary were a big surpise. The day after we saw briefly another herd on the way back to the airport. This was a group of appro 20 dogs, they were very calm but it was hot . We stayed there one hour or so, two or three cars passed rapidly, dogs are for safari lovers.

Edited by Ben mosquito

• 1 month later...

Not latest but recent. Could not find general primate or guenon specific posts.

Red bellied guenon Benin subspecies - Lama forest

ULsAGLg.jpg

KaingU Lodge

Caracal Kitten. Last w/e. A mate took the picture on the way in to the lodge, so technically it's not my sighting. But I do know that this is probably the most unique sighting of the year for us here (and yes I know its only May!). Amazing. Julia and I have never seen a Caracal in the Kafue. JohnD in his 10+ years guiding here has seen one!

post-42446-0-02507300-1493918074_thumb.jpg

Peter Connan

Wow, Magnificent sighting!

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2017 at 1:15 AM, KaingU Lodge said:

Caracal Kitten. Last w/e. A mate took the picture on the way in to the lodge, so technically it's not my sighting. But I do know that this is probably the most unique sighting of the year for us here (and yes I know its only May!). Amazing. Julia and I have never seen a Caracal in the Kafue. JohnD in his 10+ years guiding here has seen one!

post-42446-0-02507300-1493918074_thumb.jpg

~ @KaingU Lodge

For the second time today you've stopped me in my tracks with an image you posted.

A caracal kitten ?!?! Terrific!

It's a lovely image in its own right, with great color and focus.

Also, so nice to have this confirmation of the presence of caracal in the Kafue.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Tom K.

@KaingU Lodge - Wow what a special sighting and beautiful photo!

So you and Julia have never seen a Caracal in Kafue - well I've never seen one anywhere!.

Maybe one day!

• 4 years later...

~ It's been far too many years that I've failed to post anything in this thread.

I hope to remedy that oversight within six months.

All of those who've posted here whet my desire to be out on game drives once again.

Tom K.

• 1 year later...

~ I reread this earlier today, sighing with regret that 2022 afforded no opportunities to post any image here.

January intentions had no results throughout the rest of the year.

The good news is that 2023 is just beginning!

Tom K.

• 3 months later...
Tom Kellie

~ This week took me to a local office building, ClayDesta Center.

To my great surprise, a Leopard was perched on a thick branch in the atrium.

As it was, it was the artful result of a skilled taxidermist.

Therefore, while a sighting of sorts, not really qualified for inclusion in this thread.

Tom K.

• 2 months later...

image.jpeg.01d580a2185fffe7e80b06f339404af7.jpeg

Après le dîner

Taken on 27 June, 2023 at 5:23 pm in Manyeleti Game Reserve, Buffelshoek Camp, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens

ISO 5000, f/2.8, 1/400 sec., handheld Manual shooting mode in a safari vehicle with moderate early evening tree shadows

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

~ After 6½ years away from Africa and game drives, it was soul-satisfying to be back where lions pause after gorging on an African buffalo.

There was a large pride spread around the carcass, eating their fill while a small jackal nervously pranced on the margin.

@Tom Kelliehow lovely to see you have finally made it back to Africa. So happy for you.:)