Samburu, Buffalo Springs, Maasai Mara November 2013

samburumags

armchair bushman

Thanks AB, I told Rachel you had recommended Kicheche but of course I did not know your real name so she was none the wiser!

Ha! Didn't even think of that. If I had known she was going to be there, I would have let you in on my little secret (my name). I don't know the current full-time managers at Kicheche mara, so my name wouldn't have meant much to them - maybe some of the other staff, though.

Your game viewing and people viewing came through. So many lions.

In Samburu were there herds of eles near the river or were they more dispersed?

I wonder if that elephant sensed your vibes or your spirit or something. What a connection.

Well done persevering and getting the photos sorted. I wouldn't get too discouraged by the out of focus ones - everyone has them and no camera in the world is going to prevent them, especially when the light isn't too bright. You got some lovely photos anyway and I think that was a good investment - although not as good an investment as the binoculars. I was there not long after you and it stayed pretty dry with game viewing about the same - glad you got lucky with the cheetahs on the last day - it'd be a crime to go to the Mara and not see them!

Enjoyed the report and I am sure you will make another safari or four.

Lyn, there were no huge herds of eles but lots of families dotted around. Twaffle, arthritis is back to Hell standard. Once the pills wore off and we have just done two carol concerts with the choir which meant standing for an hour at a time and for the last two days I have not been able to move! Apart from that I'm fine! Pity the elephant did not cure my pains. Thank you for the kind comments, have you read Tony's book yet? I got a shock when I started it last night. B):D

@@samburumags great trip report

the rain must have com as a surprise

I was wondering how the arrivals are done at Nairobi, what temporary facilites are there following the airport fire?

Lucky that international departures are unaffected.

Coming up to the trip you were wondering given how you were feeling medically , how you would react to rough tracks and vehicles which are not built for high level comfort. how did you find things in this respect ? I hope that things were ok .

Hi Cosmic,

The rain was not a surprise I knew it was the season of "light rains" but I didn't realise that light actually meant torrential!

Arrivals were so slick we had steps off the plane onto a bus and into what I believe was an old carpark. As I said it only took me half an hour to go through including getting a visa and picking up my bag. Departure was in part of the old departure building with two or three shops. Only one I could find took credit cards and they all held very limited stock. All in all it was a less stressful experience than the airport had been in the past when it was fully operational.

The "Kenyan Massage" did not give me any problems but I put that down to the cortisone tablets which are a miracle. Sadly they only last 15 days and pain has been horrendous since I got back.

Thanks for your kind comments, have a Very Happy Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the ele herd answer. The torrents of rain during light rain season were a surprise to you. How about your guide? Did he think this was abnormal or routine.

So sorry about your arthritis pain.