Tips and Tools asked about mana Pools.

sylvia000

Hello,

I'm new menmber of this forum and thanks for exepting me.

We organised / planned a self drive trip to Zimbabwe and Botswana in July / August 2014.

Everything is booked allready.

I have been reading here great trip reports, very nice.

I hope some Mana Pools lovers can help me with some questions?

- What are the GPS coordinates for all (4?) checkpoint on the way in?

- What are the GPS coordinates for Mucheni # 3 and Chitake # 2

- First we sleep 3 nights at Mucheni and the we go to the new campspot Chitake # 2, what is the best route to go?

Hope some one can help me with this and maybe have some other tips.

Thank you all.

Our resident expert on Mana self drive @whyone will be the one to help you with this he will see the link when he logs in. In the mean time have a look around the forums there is loads of info on Mana pools for you. And welcome to Safari Talk.

Hello Andy,

Thanks on welcoming me.

I will keep reading, very informative and also nice stories. :D

Hello you all,

Nobody else with some tips and tools or Gps coordinates :rolleyes:

Hi @@sylvia000

Sorry for taking so long to pick-up on your request.

I am afraid I cannot help you with GPS coordinates. I wold recommend that if you haven't already, get tracks4africa on a satnav unit.

http://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/africa/

Mana Pools is a relatively small national park, and pretty well signposted.

I gave a few details of the drive in recently in post no.4 this thread - this may be of some assistance:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/12186-mana-pools-self-drive-june-2014/

Look forward to hearing about your trip - the Mucheni camps are beautiful, and Chitake properly wild!

Hello Whyone,

Thank you very much for responding.

That was a great tip about the other post, I am printing it now, very helpfull!

I also read a great trip repport from you, very nice! ( also at Mucheni)

I head lot s of fun reading it.

Thanks for the help

• 2 months later...
SelfDriveAfrica

Hello Whyone,

Thank you very much for responding.

That was a great tip about the other post, I am printing it now, very helpfull!

I also read a great trip repport from you, very nice! ( also at Mucheni)

I head lot s of fun reading it.

Thanks for the help

Hi Sylvia,

You will love Mana Pools, it truly is a special place and one of the best places we have travelled.

I am sure I am repeating much of what you have read but here goes:

The 1st place you will need to stop on the way in is Marongora Parks office. Here they will check your paperwork and permits and you will also get licences for fishing etc. GPS S16 13.834 E29 09.699

You will then proceed further down the escarpment for approximately 7km to the Mana Pools Turn Off. Here they will check your permits and will sign in and go through the boom. You need to proceed with caution as this section of road is a vehicle breaker. Also when you stop be especially observant as we have seen Lions recently very close to the main Chirundu road. This road to the Rukomeshe River is approximately 30km. S16 03.345 E29 24.560

Once you are at the gate you will either turn right to Chitake Springs (fantastic Lion & Leopard country) or left to head down to Mana Pools. This road is generally better but you still need to drive slowly. The gate will check your permits (again) and sign you in.

This road is approx 42Kms long and you should start to see sign of game. Again be careful when stopping as the elephant in this area are generally skittish as the poaching has increased in this mid area in recent years. The Tsetse fly are also quite prevalent here.

Nyamepi Main Camp S15 43.510 E29 21.606 is where you will sign in an pay your conservation fees. This was $20 pppd the last time i was there (September 2013) From here you will head west toward Mucheni which is approx 10kms.

Enjoy your trip and please send a trip report

Muchene Campsites are S15 45.453 E29 17.637 and Chitake is S16 06.338 E29 29.619 a point to note about Chitake is that it is very much Lion country. Be very observant especially at night and make sure you have a strong torch and try not to move away from camp at night.

Edited by SelfDriveAfrica

Hello Selfdriveafrica,

Thank you very much for the tips / advices and the GPS coordinates.

Very helpfull,Great!!!

After the posts, that check you in as described by SDA, it is mandatory (or at least it was two years ago) to check in at the parks headquarters as well.

f

That is indeed still the case, as detailed in my linked thread describing our visit lOctober 2013.