Western Ghats Wildlife Safari

Nature Traveler

Nature Traveler

So on our FIFTH trip to India, we decided we'd had enough of the mess up north and decided to focus on one of the less-visited regions in search of India's amazing fauna. So off to the Western Ghats it was! What an amazing trip. Sure the bureaucracy was the same as always, but the species we spotted and scenery were spectacular. Take a look at our trip report below!

Cheers,

Coke

http://cokesmithphototravel.com/expedition-to-the-western-ghats-bioregion.html

"... an interesting fungus that was reported to only grow on Gaur horns. I could find nothing about this in the literature so if anyone can help shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated!"

Don't know what it is, but I've seen this kind of "fungus" also on the horns of a cape buffalo skull in Tsavo East NP.

Nature Traveler

Actually I think you are correct - I should not have stated gaur horns exclusively - I think it is buffalo in general, perhaps all bovids? I would love to know more about this but I cannot seem to find anything on the net...

Loved reading your report. Thattekad and Valparai is on my wish list as well. A shame about the red-tape though.

Cheers

Thank you (for both reports), a most enjoyful read. Sorry to hear about all the problems you encountered, most of all a drunk guide! About the treatment of VIPS against "mere mortals" - I only experienced that in Corbett Park where the river road was closed to normal visitors because of someone "important", but besides that I didn´t have any bureaucratic problems in all the parks (Kanha, Bandhavgarh, Ranthambore and Corbett) I visited.

Do you think that the issues you had on this trip were specific for this region, i.e more of a problem than in Central/Northern India?

Nature Traveler

I am thinking the problems we faced in India occur throughout - we've had similar situations in Gir and Kanha when some bigwig somes through. Bandhavgar had the richest man in India come by and they shut down routes, gave him and his brother illegal elephant rides and basically terrorized tigers to get them to stay put so one their girlfriends to get pics.... India is so disfunctionally corrupt.

madaboutcheetah

Loved reading your report. Thattekad and Valparai is on my wish list as well. A shame about the red-tape though.

Cheers

I love Valparai - The Tea estates etc etc., have awesome places to stay, rest and relax......

• 3 weeks later...

I'll admit I just scrolled to look at the photos, some of them by Cokie! Those Lion-tailed Macaques might just send me off on another trip. You have done that to me before, you know. Last time it was wild asses. A more careful reading of your always detailed reports would definitely be in order before any Ghats excursion.