The Circle of Life in Just 9 Days, Tanzania Mid-Feb

Atravelynn

soukous took the words out of my mouth - the cheetah cubs are adorable! i'm so relieved they managed to escape the lion. cheetahs have such a tough life, fighting off so many predators. the cheetah mum did an awesome job protecting them.

during my trip to Ndutu we, too saw with mother with two tiny cubs, plus another mother with five tiny cubs - pictures to come in my trip report

adding ndutu to list of places to go in Africa....

@@ice, I got reports on the 5 cubs. I'm so happy the 2 cubs I saw were still fine when you were there. I hope they all (7) are fine as I write. I saw a pair of cheetah cubs as young as these in 2001 in the Mara @Soukos and for years I wondered about them. Never knew their fate. But a fact I did read is that only 10% of the cheetah mothers account for over half (maybe more) of all the cubs that make it to adulthood. Last March I saw about a dozen fairly grown cubs and hope they are all still around.

Mid to late Feb is perfect @@Safaridude. Ice may convince you the first 10 days in March is when you want to go. A Feb vs March section is coming up.

I accidentally omitted the picture of the roll down windows and will include it promptly. For your eyes only, @@pault

I think it should be Ndutu too, @@bettel. There is a certain excitement in Ndutu in the green season.

gallery_108_992_362331.jpg

Here is the vehicle I used that shows the roll down window on the open door. I thought it would be fun to see the car wash process as opposed to sit at the airport. I can report they do a very thorough job inside and out.

The above vehicle plays a role in the Quote of the Trip.

Quote of the Trip

After the second time George stopped the vehicle and exited, telling me it was to “check the tires,” I shared with him my concern, “I hope there is no problem with the tires.” Flashing through my mind were recollections of tire puncture delays that had required jacking up the vehicle and swapping tires on previous trips. George got a laugh out of that one and explained to me that “check the tires” was really a pee stop. How could I have not known this after all of my trips? How many times in the past did I think there was a tire pressure issue being investigated when in fact the guide was relieving himself?

Our discussion of “check the tires” led me to explain a similar phrase, “talk to a man about a horse.” Fortunately the tires held fine up and no horses were bought or sold throughout our trip.

For the rest of the trip when nature called, of course I announced that I needed to “check the tires,” my favorite new phrase. Before we left the unpaved roads of the Serengeti for the highway, George got out and really did check and adjust a locked setting on the tires. “So you really are going to “check the tires,” I declared, feeling only slightly vindicated.

Edited by Atravelynn

gallery_108_992_142933.jpg

Warthogs in the foreground.

Mid Feb vs Mid March in Ndutu

Feb 15-22 in 2014 vs. March 15-20 in 2013 – exactly one month apart.

In 2013 rains were somewhat late, but then were sufficient. In 2014 rains were pretty close to on-time (despite some concern the 3rd week of January when not much rain had yet fallen in the Serengeti).

There were at least as many wildebeest in March as Feb, but they had started to enter the woodlands so the horizon to horizon wildebeest awe inspiring spectacle was more pronounced in Feb than March.

George said the latest he had ever seen a birth was the first week of March. I recall last year that Sangeeta, a Safaritalk member who met me in Ndutu on March 19, 2013, saw a newly born calf (after a night of heavy rain) with the placenta still present on that day. February is more apt to have births and newborns. March is more likely to have an abundance of young wildebeests that may have been born in late Feb or early March. If birthing is late, then an early to mid-Feb trip might mean almost no calves. I saw no births or newborns in mid-March vs. 3 births and at least 8 newborns in mid-Feb. But it is all rain-dependent.

There were slightly more vehicles at predator sightings in Feb than March. In both months being able to stay out all day meant that during midday I usually had cheetahs to myself. I recall how impressed I was in March 2013 with the behavior of all the vehicles in Ndutu and how conscious they were of giving the predators ample room to observe the herds and hunt. I remember I had hoped that same attitude would prevail during the busier month of Feb. From what I saw it did. Guides would even call/motion to each other to move their vehicles so that the predators’ line of vision to their prey remained unobstructed at all times. All vehicles cooperated in respecting the predators’ space.

Dung beetles rolling their dung balls seemed easier to find in March than Feb.

Rain and sun—Certainly beyond the third week of March the potential for very heavy rain that can restrict access to some areas increases. But in general I think hours of sun or rain is just luck for Feb vs. the first half of March.

The low temps were not as low in Feb as March and it was less windy in Feb than March. So overall, warmer in Feb than March. In either month I found that rain produced damp, cool conditions, not hot sweltering tropical heat and humidity.

gallery_108_992_543692.jpg

More cheetahs, especially families, had moved into Ndutu in March compared to Feb, which is the typical pattern. In fact, in an email exchange with George, received in March 2014 after I had gotten home, he informed me the pair of cheetah brothers I had seen the previous year in March had finally shown up in Ndutu. Also a mother with five cubs had arrived in March. The Ndutu cheetah count for the two trips was: 18 different cats during 5 nights/6 days in mid-March; 13 different cats in 7 nights/8 days in mid-Feb. Quality cheetah sightings each trip!

med_gallery_108_992_381649.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_26482.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_267555.jpg

gallery_108_992_445196.jpg

Pricing—March may offer a bit of a price break, especially mid-March, depending on the camp.

I’d gladly go back in either month! If both a Feb and a March trip, done in consecutive years, is in your future, do Trip #1 in March and get a multi-entry one-year visa—same cost as single entry—then do Trip #2 in Feb and complete it before the visa expires. That saved me $100 in visa costs this year by using the visa purchased last year.

gallery_108_992_182065.jpg

Edited by Atravelynn

I can add the following:

1. during my trip I did not see any birth altough we were not really looking for it because

2. the big herds had pretty much left Ndutu - my guide told me that they might come back, though if the rains returned because

3. during my 10 nights we hardly had any rain at all, a few drops and short showers but that was it

Parks and Lodging

KIA Lodge in Kilimanjaro was a good bargain and is just minutes from the JRO airport for a convenient first night. If spending the first day in Arusha National Park, it makes sense to drive into Arusha on the arrival night in to avoid driving back and forth nearly an hour to/from a Kilimanjaro hotel. But since I was not visiting Arusha National Park this time, staying near the airport on the arrival night was convenient. The trip to Manyara took an extra hour the next day vs. if I had stayed in Arusha. If the clouds cooperate, there are views of Kilimanjaro from KIA Lodge. I didn’t see it.

There is an airport shuttle to KIA Lodge. When exiting the airport your name is on a card, along with the other arriving KIA guests. You don’t go seek out a KIA van that runs on a schedule between the airport and hotel, which is what “shuttle” implies.

KIA’s boxed lunch, enjoyed in Lake Manyara, was a standout!

Lake Manyara--I wanted a buffer day up front before heading to Ndutu, and chose a return to Lake Manyara to see how it had changed over the years. Though I had read and had been told that the lake had shrunk, seeing it was startling. More like Marsh Manyara now, though I understand at the conclusion of the big rains (late March and April) it begins to resemble its former self. Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge is reasonably priced and a nice location overlooking the lake. For one night in the park, it was a good choice. Nice room, good food, monkeys on the perimeter of the grounds…

Upon arrival at Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge I was given Room 94 (one of the nicest lake views and a long walk from reception). I told the porter that room number was a coincidence because I first came to Lake Manyara in 1994 to which he replied, “I was here then.” He had been working for the lodge since 1971. I recalled meeting a porter the previous year at Seronera Wildlife Lodge who also told me he had been employed at Seronera when I first visited that lodge in 1994. Nice to see employees can have long careers at these facilities.

med_gallery_108_992_419134.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_171382.jpg

View from Room 94, Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge, the lake is visible A Valentines Day Karibu Rose at Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge

Ndutu, Gol Mountains

I was so captivated by Ndutu during my 5 night stay in March 2013 that I booked a return for Feb 2014 for a week. I figured a week would allow daytrips to visit Gol Mountains at no extra cost (which I did); Gol Kopjes for an additional $10 (which I didn’t do); or maybe a trip north into Serengeti for an additional $60 I believe (which I didn’t do). There was too much going on in Ndutu to take time out for Gol Kopjes or Central Serengeti this year.

I think the general framework I employed for this migration trip of “Base yourself in Ndutu During Green Season & Venture Out From There as Needed According to Rains and Animal Movement” is a good one.

Of course that means your safari provider has to allow unlimited mileage so you can venture out, which The Wild Source does; and your guide has to be willing to spend the day in the field, which George is. And you have to be enthused about some full days out with probably two boxed meals, in contrast to the preferences of some clients who I was told had made the announcement: “This is a nice place we have booked so we want to spend some time at it drinking whiskey and using the swimming pool.”

Bill obtained good pricing at Wild Frontier Ndutu Wilderness Camp I stayed there, a fabulous choice for a comfortable tent with ensuite facilities, great staff, and excellent food. The boxed meal contents, especially the lunches, could be considered fine dining. Last year I had made the suggestion to stock up on some goodies in Arusha to augment the lunch boxes. There was no need to add variety to the assortment provided by Wild Frontier. And the quantity was so ample that after Day 1 I asked for the contents of my boxes by reduced by 2/3, except for the fresh fruit.

med_gallery_108_992_288907.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_298774.jpg

My tent, #1 or 10 tents. Bucket shower, which worked wonderfully, is visible. Left to right, dining tent, lounge/bar/battery charging tent, kitchen

med_gallery_108_992_235847.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_12545.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_181475.jpg

The interior of my very nice tent, #1. Lamps are solar. Ensuite eco toilet is shown here.

Wild Frontier Ndutu Wilderness Camp has won my prestigious award for Most Abundant Animal Noises Heard from my Tent at Night, snatching the title from Sausage Tree on the Zambezi. Our first night in camp the migration surrounded us and gnu-ing was ongoing at full volume. Peeking out through the tent netting by the light of the full moon I can confirm I was absolutely “surrounded” by wildes and zebra.

med_gallery_108_992_205382.jpg

Firepit in the foreground on the right and 4 tents in the background of Wild Frontier Ndutu Wilderness Camp

The second night, not a wilde in sight because the lions had moved in and were calling loudly throughout the night. They even had their way with a guest towel that hung on a bar under the sink outside the community restroom, which ended up in shreds.

Bill has also started his own Tanzania mobile camp, The Wild Source Research Camp.

Making a half-day trip along the expansive plains at the foot of Gol Mountains from Ndutu is easy. Just pick a day without heavy rain so you don’t get stuck. Gol Mountains are located about 35 kilometers northeast from the Ndutu-to-Serengeti entrance. We went as far as Nasera Kopjes, a rather mysterious looking landscape, which crop up before the landmark Nasera Rock at Gol Mountain. Despite being very dry, there were Thomson’s Gazelles as far as the eye could see, which is what that region is known for. No predators other than jackals and hyenas were seen. Our leisurely round trip was about 4.5 hours, but might have been longer if there had been predator activity to occupy us. We saw just one pair of vehicles heading to Piaya Camp, during our entire Gol outing. Later in the season after rains hit the area, more predators are often drawn to the Gol Mountain region.

med_gallery_108_992_230962.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_115963.jpg

Nasera Kopjes in Gol Mountains Region

No Tarnagire, Central Serengeti, Crater this trip

I prefer Tarangire in dry season; I’d rather visit the crater at a less crowded time of year than the popular February calving season; with just 9 nights in Tanzania, I wanted to concentrate on Ndutu rather than Central Serengenti. I thought I might pay ($60) to go to Central Serengeti from Ndutu for one day but I never did. Most Feb itineraries, and certainly first time visits, rightly include the wildlife-diverse Central Serengeti especially for hippos, crocs, and monkeys, which are not generally found in Ndutu. First time visits also almost always include Ngorongoro Crater. In fact when a couple of staff members heard my itinerary and noted it lacked the crater, they were visibly concerned until I assured them I had visited that lovely location in the past.

med_gallery_108_992_383704.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_59429.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_516008.jpg

All animal photos are from Ndutu

ice, on 21 Mar 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

I can add the following:

1. during my trip I did not see any birth altough we were not really looking for it because

2. the big herds had pretty much left Ndutu - my guide told me that they might come back, though if the rains returned because

3. during my 10 nights we hardly had any rain at all, a few drops and short showers but that was it

Paolo, on 21 Mar 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

I see that everybody has got his/her own favourite time of the year for Ndutu/southern Serengeti....a never ending debate, I guess!

The only way to settle this is to visit at numerous times over the course of decades. I'd like to try the first part of March and the first part of May and hopefully go for George 4.0 and George 5.0.

There is only one bad time for me to go and that is a trip that encompasses Feb 24. Which is my anniversary. Actually that is an excellent time to be in Ndutu.

Edited by Atravelynn

Good idea. Here it is. The Ndutu Car Count. In sum, more cars in Feb than March. Mid-day in both months, there were very few vehicles.

Lion

Feb

At several large sleeping lion prides where we stayed only a few minutes, the vehicles ranged from 6 to 18.

On our way out of Ndutu, a male and female sitting together brought 20 vehicles together.

Watching cubs play during 2 early mornings, there were 0 to 2 other vehicles.

A pride of grooming and playing lionesses cubs near a kill one afternoon had 3-4 other vehicles, then quickly dwindled to about 2 other vehicles.

We came upon lone lions or small groups about 3 times with 0 vehicles.

March

We saw a couple of females here and there, shared by maybe 2 other vehicles.

We followed a male who joined with 2 females who had killed an eland early one morning. We had the sighting to ourselves (0 vehicles) for most of the time until 1 other vehicle joined us at the end.

I happened to see few lions in March.

Leopard

Feb

We listened to a leopard gnawing bones for an hour with 1 other vehicle. We saw the leopard briefly with 0 other vehicles.

We watched that same leopard hide for hours, hunt and kill with 2 other vehicles.

March

No leopard

Cheetah

Feb

Two instances of cheetahs on a kill eating, there were approx 8 other vehicles.

Much of one day and several hours another day were spent with a mother and son cheetah; 0 vehicles for 90% of the time & 3-4 other vehicles 10% of the time.

We stayed with one cheetah all day and other vehicles would come and go, 0 vehicles for 80% of the time & 5-6 vehicles 20% of the time.

Mother and 2 young cubs had 2-3 other vehicles when we first encountered them running. When they hid in the thicket, up to 3 other vehicles joined us at times, sometimes 0 vehicles. When they emerged and headed out, there were 0 vehicles.

When a cheetah or a pair were found resting with herds in the background, so that they might hunt, there would be 5-6 vehicles for 20% of the time and 0 for 80%.

We encountered lone cheetahs a time or two with 0 vehicles.

March

We spent many days with various cheetah families for hours. Cars would come and go. 30% of the time 4-5 vehicles, 40% of the time 1-2 vehicles, 30% of the time 0 vehicles.

Waiting for hunting and watching the hunt and kill the first time, approx 5 other vehicles

Waiting for hunting and watching the hunt and kill the second time, 1 other vehicle and then eventually at the kill site a total of 2 other vehicles.

Hyenas

0 other vehicles in Feb or March, not a lot of hyena sightings

Jackals

Feb = 0 other vehicles

March = 0 other vehicles except at carcass with vultures, then it ranged from 5-12 vehicles

Bat Eared Foxes

Feb = A single, brief glimpse and 0 vehicles

March = For hours on at least 2 mornings we watched many bat eared foxes with 0 vehicles, 1 or 2 vehicles joined us at most

Wildebeest Births

Feb = 0 other vehicles

March = no births

Driving around/through wilde herds

Feb and March, we'd occasionally see another vehicle in the distance but usually 0

Watching wildes and zebras cross rivers/lakes

Feb = 25% of the time 0 other vehicles; 75% of the time 2-3 other vehicles, sometimes in the distance

March = no crossings

Elephants

Feb = 0 vehicles for the 3-4 ele sightings

March = saw no eles

Giraffe

Feb = Dozens of giraffe "neckling" and moving across the dried pans; 80% of the time 0 vehicles, 20% of the time 1-2 other vehicles.

March = not much giraffe activity

Steenbok

Feb = My best photo ever of a standing steenbok was shared with 0 other vehicles.

March = no steenbok photo ops.

Birds we had to ourselves with 0 vehicles in Feb and March

When the only Reedbuck of the trip was seen galloping with the wildes, there were 0 other witnesses in Feb. I believe March had been Reedbuck-less.

To reduce the # of other vehicles encountered it is important to have a guide who knows the entire Ndutu area and not just the "main drags."

gallery_108_992_421505.jpg

Prized Standing Steenbok, unseen by other Human Eyes Besides George's and Mine Until Now.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

do you actually takes notes of the number of vehicles at sightings? :o and keep these notes for years to know?

Wow Lynn, you're thorough. With all the note taking you're doing I'm amazed you find time to take photos or eat meals. :P

wow, you either have an awesome memory or you have awesome note keeping abilities for such details! love those pix of the lions' paws.

Error in post. I can't delete it, so I'll throw in a photo using my hot shoe external flash that I bought for anteaters.

gallery_108_992_131451.jpg

We were alone with this cub in the rain before dawn. 0 vehicles.

Edited by Atravelynn

ice, on 22 Mar 2014 - 02:58 AM said:

Several years back I kept detailed notes on the exact # of vehicles at every sighting in Kenya. But these major sightings from just a few months ago and one year back, I remember well. It is possible I am off by 1 vehicle and sometimes I gave myself +/- 1, as in 3-4 vehicles, but it's a fairly accurate picture.

wow, you either have an awesome memory or you have awesome note keeping abilities for such details! love those pix of the lions' paws.

Way back in grade school we did some memory tests for a science experiment and I had total recall of random things over the course of months, which was surprising, so I think I do have a good memory--what's left of it. At least I can remember that experiment from Mrs. Johnson's class in 5th grade. I never cared for Mrs. Johnson. I definitely remember that.

Some of the Ndutu lion sightings and eating cheetahs were just way too many people and we did not stick around very long. The vast majority of the trip, whether Feb or March, I saw nobody else. The fact that there are other vehicles does not bother me that much, it's what those other vehicles are doing. The behavior of the drivers when predators could possibly hunt was very impressive. Always an arced semi-circle, allowing the predators a view. This contrasts with behavior I saw in Kenya. :(

The #s of vehicles I experienced, say at Mara River Crossings in the Maasai Mara would deter me from doing that again. The # of vehicles I experienced (and the behavior) at major sightings in the Maasai Mara in high season would make me pause before returning in high season to areas that are not in conservancies. The # of vehicles I experienced throughout Ndutu, whether Feb or March, was not a deterrent.

When just sitting and looking at animals, drivers were highly cognizant of not blocking each others view and practiced good etiquette. When I'd ask George if we could "go over there" to look, not realizing how it would position us in relation to others, sometimes he'd suggest we wait or suggest another angle so as not to cut off the view of others.

There were 2 annoying other vehicles and one that was equal parts cute and equal parts annoying.

Annoying Vehicle #1

At a cheetah a guy kept doing lion calls, those low grunting sounds. Once or twice it was kind of funny. This went on and on like the hiccups. The cheetah showed zero reaction. I bet his vehicle mates were ready to kill him.

Annoying Vehicle #2

These "Ampersands" kept shouting and whistling at a cheetah. I stood up and glared at them and made it evident I was writing down the vehicle number. I thought about contacting the & company but their guide was trying to reign the unruly tourists in. I didn't want the guide to suffer for some tourists with heads up their ampersands.

Equally Annoying and Cute

I overheard some ladies from the US in the next vehicle become very excited at seeing the large wildebeest herds. "Oh look, there are those wallaby-things again." Had these ladies uttered that in an Australian accent, I think I would have found it 100% cute. I give them credit for genuine enthusiasm.

Edited by Atravelynn

I totally agree with you, the drivers I saw at Ndutu behaved way better than the majority of the drivers during my Mara trips

I totally agree with you, the drivers I saw at Ndutu behaved way better than the majority of the drivers during my Mara trips

A shame. Hope that can be changed.

To set the quotation record straight in post #43.

ice, on 22 Mar 2014 - 02:58 AM said:

do you actually takes notes of the number of vehicles at sightings? :o and keep these notes for years to know?

I responded:

Several years back I kept detailed notes on the exact # of vehicles at every sighting in Kenya. But these major sightings from just a few months ago and one year back, I remember well. It is possible I am off by 1 vehicle and sometimes I gave myself +/- 1, as in 3-4 vehicles, but it's a fairly accurate picture.

Want to have the he said she said right.

------------

AN AFTERNOON AND MORNING DRIVE IN LAKE MANYARA

gallery_108_992_105789.jpg

A Blue Monkey, actually looking blue in Lake Manyara. No "monkey business" with the tint controls on this photo. It really has a blue-ish tinge.

The lake may be a mere shadow of its former self, due to competing agricultural interests, but the monkeys remain out in force. The three species found in Manyara are Olive Baboons, Vervets, and Blue Monkeys, shown respectively below.

med_gallery_108_992_316202.jpggallery_108_992_60573.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_498246.jpg

It’s also a great place to see, and even photograph, the elusive Silvery Cheeked Hornbill. Other interesting birds seen in Manyara were: Diederik Cuckoo, Greater Spotted Eagle, White Fronted Plover, and a favorite of mine, the Ground Hornbill. We even saw a family of Ground Hornbills nesting.

gallery_108_992_347364.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_123506.jpggallery_108_992_327710.jpg

Silvery cheeked Hornbill Nesting Ground Hornbills with chicks Female Silvery cheeked Hornbill has a morsel in her bill

med_gallery_108_992_75709.jpg

Silvery cheeked Hornbill

The wildebeest in Manyara are a lighter color than in other parts of Tanzania, which is noticeable. The surprise of the park for me was a family of klipspringers.

med_gallery_108_992_430412.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_472162.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_624948.jpg

Lighter colored wildebeest of Lake Manyara Klipspringer in typical terrain - A Lake Manyara Surprise

gallery_108_992_442926.jpg

Mother, Father, Baby Klipspringer in Lake Manyara

One 3-ish hour visit to Lake Manyara is sufficient to see the different kinds of monkeys and get a good feel for the park, but I wanted two visits, one morning and one afternoon. The huge baboon troops that patrol the roads, a classic Manyara scene, are more prevalent in the morning than the afternoon.

med_gallery_108_992_481601.jpg

Classic Lake Manyara

But absent were any signs of hippos or elephants. It had been a couple of years since George had seen any tree climbing lions. The lion population is on the decline in this park.

Though February is peak tourism season in Tanzania, we rarely saw another vehicle during either the morning or afternoon drives in Lake Manyara. There was a big gathering of vehicles at a lunch spot, but it was just me and the monkeys for the most part. We did have to share the klipspringers with 2 other vehicles.

Since we saw zero monkeys in Ndutu (flat plains are not monkey habitat), pairing the monkey-rich Manyara with the monkey-less Ndutu was a nice combo.

gallery_108_992_167162.jpg gallery_108_992_439138.jpg

Baboon Blue Monkey

gallery_108_992_526697.jpg gallery_108_992_160538.jpg

Baboons of all ages and sizes - Lake Manyara

med_gallery_108_992_32501.jpggallery_108_992_177318.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_370540.jpg

Baboon climbing on Mom Blue Monkey Baboon Foot

gallery_108_992_308932.jpg

Best Buddies - Baboons in Lake Manyara

gallery_108_992_221267.jpggallery_108_992_375091.jpg

Young Vervet - Lake Manyara - Enjoying the Grooming

Edited by Atravelynn

NDUTU FOR ONE WEEK, FEB 15-22, 2014

Daily Log of Sightings and Time Spent

post-108-0-96999800-1395523927_thumb.jpg

gallery_108_992_118892.jpg

Tawny Eagle

gallery_108_992_243895.jpg

Pygmy Falcon with a rodent

gallery_108_992_110480.jpggallery_108_992_428444.jpg

Same Pygmy Falcon, same rodent One of the few elephants seen in Ndutu

Edited by Atravelynn

gallery_108_992_111894.jpg

Mother and nearly adult son

post-108-0-34677100-1395524430_thumb.jpg

gallery_108_992_449114.jpg

gallery_108_992_457070.jpg

Giraffe Bouquet

gallery_108_992_359835.jpggallery_108_992_110015.jpg

Martial Eagle Verraux's Eagle Owl

gallery_108_992_562576.jpg

gallery_108_992_185959.jpg

gallery_108_992_158345.jpg

med_gallery_108_992_290368.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_468421.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_342904.jpg

Black chested Snake Eagle Common Snipe

med_gallery_108_992_48578.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_89578.jpg

Edited by wilddog

This is amazing, Lynn. I wish I had seen it before I cancelled my two Serengeti Feb. trips, but actually better that I now KNOW more! Oh where can I get more time????

and funds.

One question concerning temps. I don't mind daytime heat, but how hot was it in the tents when sleeping? If I can't sleep I am not a very happy camper. ^_^

(which by the way I could be very happy ln those tents), so reason Number 2 for not going - I would have spent too much time and money trying to stay in an "upmarket" permanent camp!

Funny how the more you go, the less you need. Except a great guide, abundant game - and a good boxed lunch!

(babies help too)

This has been so informative, as ALL your reports are, and I am imagining you are a researcher, scientist, or similar You are quite diligent as a record-keeper. I give up by the 3rd day. Good for us that you do not.

I feared all the cars I heard about (you know staying up at night obsessing!); though able to avoid in the Mara (thanks to a great guide, thank goodness)

So, a thank you from me....Serengeti can go back on the list..but it has to wait until 2 others are checked off!

Good thing I subtract years on birthdays and I am actually getting younger. :P

post-108-0-54116100-1395526021_thumb.jpg

gallery_108_992_65061.jpg

gallery_108_992_59955.jpg

gallery_108_992_242306.jpg

Giraffes all over the place for several mornings, and then very few giraffes. Just passing through I guess.

post-108-0-30178100-1395526504_thumb.jpg

med_gallery_108_992_48650.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_222965.jpgmed_gallery_108_992_421058.jpg

Displaying Khori Bustard with Wildebeest Background

gallery_108_992_234591.jpg

gallery_108_992_234001.jpggallery_108_992_196892.jpg

Twiga looking very Twiggy

Calving and Cheetah Cubs--Quite a Day!

Edited by Atravelynn

Fabulous Lynn, it has brightened my weekend considerably. Thank you.

you have just set the standards for note-keeping. its amazing keeping hourly records, but a great way to emulate, especially to keep track for old and forgetful me! that is, if i can remember to jot down the notes at that time.....

i love the giraffe pix. the giraffe bouquet especially.