stevelumpkin

stevelumpkin

We are just back from a green season mobile safari to The Central Kalahari and Moremi Game Reserve with Moses Ntema, owner of Unlimited Tours (www.unlimitedsafari.com) and Safaris in Maun, Botswana (

post-47879-0-62950600-1395512959_thumb.jpg

post-47879-0-59775300-1395512977_thumb.jpg

post-47879-0-29443200-1395512997_thumb.jpg

post-47879-0-48500800-1395513487_thumb.jpg

Beautiful images, and really like the last action shot @@stevelumpkin.

Now we need MORE , and a report to go along with them!

(Did I just sound like @@Game Warden or what?)

And welcome to SafariTalk!

:)

stevelumpkin

Thanks Graceland...not sure what happened to my trip report as it looks like the site truncated it...well, here it is...and thanks for the attaboy on the images...now for the report and a link to the 5 min video is below:

We are just back from a green season mobile safari to The Central Kalahari and Moremi Game Reserve with Moses Ntema, owner of Unlimited Tours (www.unlimitedsafari.com) and Safaris in Maun, Botswana (

We booked 12 days in the field with Moses (6 nights in The Kalahari and 6 nights in the Moremi) using 3 very private campsites...the campsite in the Moremi was literally in the deep woods under a sprawling sausage tree right at Second Bridge. First the Kalahari -- as we were cleared the Matswere Gate an hour later right at dusk we came on very fresh lion spoor and around a corner were 4 sub-adults playing by the road.

We later determined that this was a pride of 13 individuals with 2 mature, black maned Kalahari brothers in charge. Over the next 3 days Moses found this pride 5 times...the sub-adults were very curious and we could coo to them and get a response back...very intimate and very thrilling...we were on a photo safari with Moses (just 2 photographers and Moses as our guide) and if you want to see a 5 minute video of our experience the link is at the bottom of this trip report.

This year The Kalahari had record rainfall and we put on the ponchos almost every day. The upside was the explosion of grasses meant the springbok and oryx were fat and sassy. We stayed near Owens Camp in Deception Valley. We later encountered a total of 11 different cheetah (6 in the Kalahari and 5 in the Moremi) and were able to get very close to them.

Up in the Moremi everything was green with very tall grass. We were able to find another pride of lions with 2 big males dominating a wildebeest kill. And we had 2 different sightings of leopards, one a mature huge male and another mama and 6 month old cub in a tree and hunting. The leopards Moses found by some very exact tracking and we got very close to them. Of course we saw big herds of elephant, red lechwe, African buffalo and many birds as the rare migrating ones were in full sight (the endangered Wattled Crane was seen frequently along with all the eagles). We tracked a nice family of wild dogs near 4th bridge in Moremi but they were elusive in the tall grass.

I was so impressed by the value received from Moses and Unlimited I have booked 3 more safari's with him (Dry season 2014, Green season 2015 and Dry Season 2015). He had 2 boys in camp (OT the cook and Boxie the assistant) who prepared wonderful meals and field lunches. At night the air was filled with the sounds of lions roaring, hippos grunting nearby and leopards calling...I will never be in a lodge setting again as this totally feels like the real, unexplored and intimate Africa of my dreams...All at about $400/day per person...what an incredible deal! While some say the green season is not the time to experience Botswana I found the exact opposite based on my 3 green season trips taken so far. In the Kalahari it is the only real time to go where you can see the big herds of springbok and oryx with all the predators following. In the green season you also get see all the babies as they have all dropped in the last 45 days or so. Very memorable time of year to go.

Here are a few links for you to enjoy: 5 minute video on this safari:

and a few images from the trip are here:

Africalover

What a wonderful trip you had, i will hopefully do a similar trip next year .

Did you camp on special campsites ( HATAB) or public?

stevelumpkin

Hi Africalover - - our guide Moses Ntema (www.unlimitedsafari.com) booked all the camp sites -- we used a combination of the public sites (in Deception Valley at CKKOR1 and CKSUN1 at Leopard Pan) and then a BOCA site near Second Bridge in The Moremi which was exclusive/remote...I have attached a link to a map of The Central Kalahari Game Reserve that shows the campsites near Deception Valley and Leopard Pan (taken from the reserve map at the entrance to the park).

Here is the link to the map: http://www.hightail.com/download/elNJZHlobEFvQUp1a3NUQw

Hope this helps in your planning...S

You clearly had a great time, despite (and partially because of?) all the rain. Thanks for posting this - it brings back nice memories.

Peter Connan

Womderfulphotos and video!

stevelumpkin

HI Peter...thanks for your note...The Kalahari in the green season is such a special place...in 6 days we only saw 3 other vehicles and we went from Passarge Valley to Deception Valley to the Letiahau water hole...and here was a sighting for the books - - we came on a big rain water hole and it was filled with African Bullfrogs, the huge dinner plate size frogs that had awakened after a big, big rain...about 30 of them in a pool the size of an average home living room...all fighting for dominance and mating...I guess they can stay buried in the deep sand for up to 2 years ...the year before was a drought in the Kalahari but not this year...pretty incredible...all the best...Steve

Peter Connan

Thanks Steve.The central Kalahari and Moremi both stole my heart in June 2010, but good rain definately adds an extra dimension to anysafari!

I will be back...

Great job on the video and fantastic photographs. Have they taken the top of the drivers cab off recently? I know that was a concern. We are planning a trip with them next year in the dry season.Pen

stevelumpkin

Hi Penolva...thanks for looking at the posts...the main safari Rover has no cab on the front just a canvas top...the crew vehicle (which tows the supply trailer) had a cab/was enclosed on our trip but I understand from Moses that all the cabs have been cut off and the trucks opened up on all of their vehicles...when are you going? I have booked 4 more safaris with them (dry '14, wet '15, dry '15 and wet '16) as I found the experience so incredible...we met Moses in Duba a few years ago and were taken by his tracking ability and who he is - - a very caring guy that just wants to show you the bush...hope you trip goes well! all the best...if you want to have a more in depth conversation I would be glad to skype or chat sometime...cheers...Steve

Beautiful video, Steve. Glad to learn (and see) Moses doing well on his own. He guided us at Duba Plains a couple of years ago.

IMG_1963.JPG

stevelumpkin

AKR1 - - you have me grinning...that the brotha for sure...thanks for passing along...cheers and thanks for looking at the video - - Moses is one of the good guys for sure...S

Oh dear, this is so inviting. YET another mobile I'd want to try.. I need to be a twin....with tons of money and twin husbands.

A reality show for sure. :blink:

VERY enjoyable @@stevelumpkin

Is there an african located Betty Ford clinic for addicted safarigoers?

Hi Penolva...thanks for looking at the posts...the main safari Rover has no cab on the front just a canvas top...the crew vehicle (which tows the supply trailer) had a cab/was enclosed on our trip but I understand from Moses that all the cabs have been cut off and the trucks opened up on all of their vehicles...when are you going? I have booked 4 more safaris with them (dry '14, wet '15, dry '15 and wet '16) as I found the experience so incredible...we met Moses in Duba a few years ago and were taken by his tracking ability and who he is - - a very caring guy that just wants to show you the bush...hope you trip goes well! all the best...if you want to have a more in depth conversation I would be glad to skype or chat sometime...cheers...Steve

Hi Steve planning for around end August next year. We will have to make sure we are not fighting over Moses as our guide!! We will do a similar trip in Namibia, Kakoland, before we fly to Botswana

also fitting in a self drive to Etosha. We love Namibia almost as much as Botswana. Will be in touch for more info from you. Thanks Pen

Oh dear, this is so inviting. YET another mobile I'd want to try.. I need to be a twin....with tons of money and twin husbands.

:D :D Me too!

so it looks my family and I are those who are going next with Moses (July 2014)

@@ice Yes, you are the next of Safaritalkers coming up! We are looking forward to that and hope you will have a great time! Will be tough to match you Ndutu experience, but Moses will work hard to make you happy! Hopefully many others will follow ;-)

@@basto

I am not expecting that Ndutu will be matched; after all it was conducted in an area that generally allows off road driving; something us will only be able to do in Khwai

stevelumpkin

@penlova - - no fighting over Moses I think...I will be after you if you are late August as I am mid Sept to early Oct with him in Savuti, Kwahi and near 4th bridge...really looking forward to it! Cheers...Steve