Kenya Safari, or "My first safari wasn't my last, and the second won't be either"

amybatt

@@amybatt

Very enjoyable report

Lots of great photos - beautiful cheetah (very cute baby), some excellent landscape shots (because you have an image in your head)

I realy like the hyena - and the leopard

Thank you for putting it all together - we look forward to the next one!

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot, @@amybatt - shall watch......

• 1 year later...

post-49296-0-86371800-1452346152_thumb.jpg

~ @@amybatt

Reading your trip report this evening was a revelation.

The leopard image above is so, so, sooooooooooo FINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your upbeat, honest, enthusiastic writing style is delightful!

I love the hippos submerged in a pool beneath floating vegetation.

A major tip of the cap to you for the Acacia sighting. You were a first-rate spotter with that sighting.

Reading through your report was an education for me in effective trip report writing.

The comments by @@graceland reflected her generosity of spirit and limitless joie de vivre. I shared her pleasure in your trip report.

Your trip report style is all your own, yet in places it brings to mind how @@SafariChick and @@Kitsafari describe their safari adventures.

You also remind me of @@JohnR with your skill in recounting safari events in a straightforward manner which nonetheless has a wry perspective on life's incongruities.

Aspects which I especially enjoyed included your passion for big cats, your photographs, your appreciation for the Porini camp and guiding staff, the meal details, the love for Tangawizi, the baby animals.

The events you described occurred nearly two years ago yet reading them tonight was as thrilling as if they'd happened yesterday.

I think that you may have inspired me, just as @@Tdgraves inspired me to visit Leopard Hills in Sabi Sands, South Africa.

With Much Appreciation,

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Thank you @@Tom Kellie. You had me re-read bits of this that did nothing but fuel the fire for my NEXT safari, which is only 5 weeks away now. Fig is a beautiful cat, she knows how to walk the runway and pose for her paparazzi. I was blessed with those sightings, but yes, Acacia was so special. I love the cats and am glad you enjoyed reading this adventure.

I've so missed graceland as I prepare to go on this safari. She put me in touch with the amazing @@Sangeeta who has put together a wonderful itinerary in Kenya that I'm beyond excited for. For that alone, I thank her. But for encouraging my new found passion for that continent we're all here for, I can't thank her enough. Every lilac breasted roller I see I will ask if it's our dear graceland traveling along with me.

Edited by amybatt

Thank you @@Tom Kellie. You had me re-read bits of this that did nothing but fuel the fire for my NEXT safari, which is only 5 weeks away now. Fig is a beautiful cat, she knows how to walk the runway and pose for her paparazzi. I was blessed with those sightings, but yes, Acacia was so special. I love the cats and am glad you enjoyed reading this adventure.

I've so missed graceland as I prepare to go on this safari. She put me in touch with the amazing @@Sangeeta who has put together a wonderful itinerary in Kenya that I'm beyond excited for. For that alone, I thank her. But for encouraging my new found passion for that continent we're all here for, I can't thank her enough. Every lilac breasted roller I see I will ask if it's our dear graceland traveling along with me.

~ @@amybatt

Although I'd suppose that in all outward aspects we couldn't be less alike, yet from what you've written above I can't help but feel that concerning nature and wildlife we might be kindred spirits.

Your instinctive reactions to safari life, animals and Africa are remarkably similar to my own, and to our late, dear @@graceland.

Hence I understand how you must be feeling with your next safari so near. One week from this moment I'll be on my way to the airport to begin my 11th safari, which has my thoughts bouncing every which way.

I'm so pleased that @@graceland placed you in the good hands of @@Sangeeta, who walks the walk of wildlife conservation.

What you've mentioned about seeing lilac-breasted rollers brings to mind an eerie phenomenon which I've noted in my present trip report, but bears repeating.

Late last Spring I mentioned in Safaritalk that I was seriously considering a stay at Leopard Hills in Sabi Sands, South Africa. Right away @@graceland wrote with her characteristic verve, warmly encouraging me, saying how she'd look forward to details of my experience.

After her untimely passing, when I arrived at Leopard Hills, on the drive from the Ulusaba airstrip to Leopard Hills, I spotted a lone lilac-breasted roller watching the safari vehicle pass.

Yet during the stay I never saw any lilac-breasted rollers during game drives. However, on the final day, while driving from the lodge to the airstrip, I once again spotted a lilac-breasted roller.

That made me think of @@graceland, who was such a welcoming presence in Safaritalk, with a love of life and fun which I miss to this day.

Your trip report's ringing endorsement of Porini Lion has stayed in my mind, and was reinforced while reading your trip report yesterday.

I'm happy to see that @@bettel will be staying at Porini Lion next month for 7 days. I hope that her stay will be as fruitful as yours was.

With Much Appreciation,

Tom K.

Safari njema, Tom! Wishing you a zorilla on this trip :)

• 5 weeks later...

I have a completely off topic (and could be considered very silly) question, if you don't mind @@amybatt

Could I ask you for the brand of your zip off pants in post #10 (Me and Baraka)?

I have tried on so many, both in store and some ordered on line, but they just look ridiculous. The cut is always way too wide. The ones that you are wearing however look good :)

Edited by martywilddog

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, @@martywilddog, I've been in Kenya since the 15th and this is my first day with wifi. Those are Eastern Mountain Sports, circa late 2012. I have them here and they are wonderful. I hope you can find them!

It seems like there were a few Safaritalkers in Kenya the last few weeks...perhaps we do need the discrete Safaritalk lapel pins or baseball caps!