Tal Chapar Trip report

xnegvx

Going ahead with my journey my next stop was a sanctuary called Tal Chapar. This is a sanctuary for Blackbucks and is one of the premium grasslands in India. I spent 4 nights here in Dec 2013. Trip report for the same is at:

http://wildwildindia.com/?p=208

MG_82031.jpg

Cheers

Lovely read - and even lovelier images. The light is indeed magical.

Is this also located near a Bishnoi community @@xnegvx? Asking because of those Khejri trees and the relatively protected condition of the blackbuck.

@@Sangeeta : while I am not aware of a prominent Bishnoi community around sanctuary but I would not be surprised if there was one. Bikaner - Jaisalmer till Jalore area have a lot of Bishnoi communities. On top of that Khejri trees have religious importance in our lives. Hence the conservation. In case of Tal, the place was a lost cause a few years ago. However it was the effort of forest dept who bought this place this back from the verge of a disaster. A part of the sanctuary is yet to be revived but it will happen with the resolve of dept and communal effort. Or I hope it will.

Edited by xnegvx

Do you know if the black buck have any natural predators at Tal? Leopard, jackals, hyena? This was probably once a great place to be a cheetah...

@@Sangeeta : In Tal there is no natural predator for them. The current population in the sanctuary has gone beyond what can be sustained. One can even say that its over populated. I guess that may not be such a bad thing for the bucks. :-)

Edited by xnegvx

It may take me awhile, but when I get through my bucket list of Africa, I may have to head to India!

Thanks for the reports! Looks like there will be plenty to see.

@@xnegvx

stunning photographs - it looks a beautiful place

@@xnegvx how wonderful to hear a positive conservation story, there should be many more of these!

The grasslands look very peaceful and I enjoyed your bird photos - the Indian roller is very colourful, like its African cousin. I'm enjoying your blog and looking forward to more when you have time.

@@graceland , @@TonyQ & @@Treepol : Thank you. This was a great place and I would readily recommend it to everyone. Unfortunately I got delayed with trip report due to some mus-adventures of my little one. Hopefuly I would be able to write more soon.

Second part of Tal Chapar trip report is up now. It can be found at http://wildwildindia.com/?p=249

MG_0120.jpg

Cheers

Tal Chapar - isn't that where @@Sangeeta went? For anyone interested in blackbucks, the Rajasthan location could make it easier to reach than Velavadar in Gujarat. Do you have any info on how these places compare? Velavadar has striped hyena and Indian wolves that are regularly sighted. Glad to learn Tal Chapar has been so successful. A little good news boosts the spirits.

Lovely setting sun shot of the blackbuck.

That black shouldered kite series is most impressive.

Edited by Atravelynn

I was not in Tal Chapar, Lynn. I saw blackbuck living on cultivated Bishnoi land about an hour outside Jodhpur, near a small village called Chandelao. Wish I had known about Tal Chapar then. It really does look beautiful.

@@Atravelynn : I am yet to go to Velavadar so I can not compare it against Tal yet. However you are unlikely to see Hyena or wolf (i.e. bigger predators) in Tal. What you can potentially see are the smaller ones like Desert Fox and Desert Cat (quite rare to come across actually). This place is quite easy to reach and have decent & economic stay option.

@Sangeeta: ah, I remember that you were near Jodhpur. It's quite close to my village actually. :-)

Looks like a lovely place, xnegvx!