Dramatic Etosha Battle

Morkel Erasmus

Morkel Erasmus

Not a full trip report per say...but a 3-part account of an amazing morning I enjoyed all on my own at the Klein Namutoni waterhole in Etosha, Namibia, last November (2013).

Part 1: http://bit.ly/liongiraffe1

Part 2: http://bit.ly/liongiraffe2

Part 3: http://bit.ly/liongiraffe3

post-14617-0-14788800-1401052481_thumb.jpg

A totally amazing sighting

incredible sighting. i can relate to the duality even while i'm not a professional photographer. thanks for sharing.

Thank you Morkel for sharing this excellent sighting. Also, I totally agree with your synopsis of witnessing a hunt/kill and the mixed emotions that come with it.

Shocking photos. Thank you for posting all three parts here at once instead of keeping us in suspense. :)

An epic battle! Though in some areas possibly a more common act of predation then some may think. Superb capturing of the hunt and good description following it!

Morkel Erasmus

@@Big_Dog it sure is common in some areas.

Friends we met in Etosha got a giraffe kill on video at night at the Okaukuejo waterhole not 7 days before we witnessed this on the other side of the park. I know it happens often in Ruaha and Tarangire as well, and many cases have been documented in Kruger. It's just that it seems the lions like to hit the girafffes in darkness when they prey's vision is limited and they are vulnerable due to their lanky stature. Seeing it done in the daytime is the actual rarity. :D

And top quality photos like yours probably even rarer! ;)
V de Pienaar mentioned in Kruger large male lions were recorded to bring down giraffe single handedly...must have been one hell of a sight!

Thanks for sharing Morkel, Its not everyday you get to witness the raw reality of life and death in the African bush. The cycle of life.

Morkel Erasmus

@@Big_Dog @ thanks you are most kind :)

Peter Connan

Thanks for a very well written and photographed report Morkel.

In the days when we still had the opportunity to roam freely in a small section of the greater Kruger system, Giraffe seemed to be one of the local Lion's most frequent prey. I suspect though that the main reason we saw the aftermath so often was that a Giraffe carcass and bones simply lasted much longer than almost any other animal's that Lion may have hunted, with the possible exception of Buffalo.

These did as you say seem to happen mostly at night, and I was never fortunate enough to actually witness any part of the struggle.

FlyTraveler

What a story @@Morkel Erasmus! Fabulous images, as usual! I am an admirer of your photography, have been following your Facebook page and now the blog for a while. I also enjoy very much your photos on 500pix.com. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing stories and images on this forum!

• 3 weeks later...
Atravelynn

Your photos and narration are equally superb.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful sighting. Marvellous images. Nicely done Morkel

@@Morkel Erasmus....thanks for sharing. I also wonder if some of the prey knows that this is their time....I have seen prey before just give up or put themselves in places they do not belong. We will never know.

Edited by SSF556

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-91583500-1431792249_thumb.jpg

~ @@Morkel Erasmus

The action stance of the lion on the left is sensational!

I'm growing accustomed to the consistently high quality of your images, but this photo is a showstopper!

Thank you so much for posting it in Safaritalk.

Tom K.