We have 6 bee eaters of which the European, Carmine and Blue Cheeked are Summer visitors. The Rosy Bee Eater and White Throated have been recorded as vagrants in South Africa.

European Bee Eater

CB7A6034.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

White Fronted Bee Eater

IMG_6738.jpg

CB7A6202.jpg

Little Bee Eater

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Southern Carmine Bee Eater

CB7A5789.jpg

CB7A6020.jpg

Swallow Tailed Bee Eater

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Blue Cheeked Bee Eater

BCB1of1.jpg

BCB3-.jpg

@@Sharifa - Beautiful. I have become more a fan of birds since visiting Africa. We even sit in our backyard and try to distinguish the songs of our local birds..

Something I never thought I'd be doing :)

..and in Africa the bee-eaters are my fav.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by graceland

simply stunning @@Sharifa, It seems that you have some time on your hands at the moment :rolleyes:

Time on my hands @@Soukous and withdrawl symptoms :lol:

@@graceland, once you get into birding, there is no lookin back ;)

Glad you enjoying it, wonderful to sit and listen to birds and distinguish the different calls.

@@Sharifa, I ordered a book on birds of Africa to give my DH for father's day. He is really keen on seeing them in Africa come Sept.

Having good binocs helps, and after our first safari he purchased Swarovskis and handed down his Zeiss to me. Both winners on getting close up to see those beaks, eyes, and colors!

Peter Connan

Beautiful @@Sharifa

@@graceland, I find a camera with a long lens far more useful. I can't remember details well enough from a sighting to ID a bird from a book. Much better to get a picture or two, so that I can refer backwards and forwards. And even then I often get it wrong, of which there are at least two examples on this forum...

Beautiful @@Sharifa

@@graceland, I find a camera with a long lens far more useful. I can't remember details well enough from a sighting to ID a bird from a book. Much better to get a picture or two, so that I can refer backwards and forwards. And even then I often get it wrong, of which there are at least two examples on this forum...

Quite a learning process when starting out. I enjoy watching more than photographing so with two of us, one can snap and one can stare!

Because we walk so much on our safaris NOW, as opposed to drives, neither one of us wants to lug heavy equipment. Because of the enjoyment in being out in the bush on foot,we just accept the limitations. Our photos are precious to us; but on one else would want them ;)