2 weeks self-driving and photographing in Namibia - May 2014

xelas

@@Atravelynn, yes, we were faster than usual. Zvezda did the major work of choosing the right ones. I was (again) only a humble assistant. You do not need to wait 8 months ... our next itinerary is 90% done :D

@@Morkel Erasmus We both are privileged that you took time to look at our (well, mostly my wife's) photos. There is indeed a stunning scenery, specially in Damaraland. Next time it will be south of Namibia and KTP.

FlyTraveler

@@Atravelynn, yes, we were faster than usual. Zvezda did the major work of choosing the right ones. I was (again) only a humble assistant. You do not need to wait 8 months ... our next itinerary is 90% done :D

@@Morkel Erasmus We both are privileged that you took time to look at our (well, mostly my wife's) photos. There is indeed a stunning scenery, specially in Damaraland. Next time it will be south of Namibia and KTP.

So, you are going to South Africa next time? Give us a rough idea about the itinerary... :)

It will be part road trip part safari. First week Windhoek-Barchan Dune-Sossus Dune Lodge-Namtib Lodge-Fish River Lodge-Mesosaurus Fossil Camp. All one nighters ;), main focus on landscape photography, and, weather permitting, some night skies.

Second week we will spent in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. Where exactly not sure yet as my agent is working on getting us to as many of the Wilderness Camps as possible. Cats and birds of prey our main interest. But we will enjoy whatever mother Nature will show us. It is not South Africa complete trip. Most probably next one.

We are fortunate that you did decide to write a trip report. It is great and the photos great as well. Thanks!

Echoing Marg. Just read this. Both the writing and photos are super. I spent a lovely afternoon in your company - thank you!

@@Jochen - wonderful news and fingers crossed that all works out as you have imagined.

Edited by Sangeeta

It will be part road trip part safari. First week Windhoek-Barchan Dune-Sossus Dune Lodge-Namtib Lodge-Fish River Lodge-Mesosaurus Fossil Camp. All one nighters ;), main focus on landscape photography, and, weather permitting, some night skies.

Second week we will spent in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. Where exactly not sure yet as my agent is working on getting us to as many of the Wilderness Camps as possible. Cats and birds of prey our main interest. But we will enjoy whatever mother Nature will show us. It is not South Africa complete trip. Most probably next one.

Might see you in KTP? We are there in five weeks time and again in March. Trying for the night sky shots! Pen

Looks like a great trip again in Namibia.

@Sangetta: I hope it was a rainy afternoon outside :mellow: . It was only fair to give back to this great community.And thank you for your kind words!

@penolva: Nope, we will be in KTP last week of April. So we will have enough time to get more info from your upcoming detailed trip reports!

@Atravelynn: And surely not the last one, in that part of the world!

"And surely not the last one, in that part of the world!"

Absolutely, in fact I was counting up about 4 that I think would be needed just for Namibia.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for a great trip report.

I am interested to hear if you think driving around Namibia can be done as a solo driver? My drives will not be longer than 4 hours with stays at each camp averaging 3/4 nights. I am not an experienced 4WD but will rent a Toyota 4WD more for the clearance and height for better game viewing. Will head over in January/February which I know is a hot time but coming from Oz I feel that it should be ok and will make sure I do what the animals do and chill out during the middle of the day.

@@SaminKaz yes I am confident that you can do it as a solo driver. Myself I am an only driver and I did not find driving to be stresful at all. There are not many roads to chose from, and main sites are good signposted. Distances between turn left or turn right are similar to those in the Northern Territory down under. Just do not underestimate the daily distances ... Calculate an average speed of 50 km/h and stop every 2 hours; it is recommended to stop and fill up your fuel tank at every gas station you see ( but obligatory if the fuel gauge is on 3/4 full or less). There is no need for any off road driving skills if sticking to usual tourist routes, yet driving a sturdy bakkie is a way to go, driving feels more comfortable and safer.

Jan/Feb is a time when it might rain, and if so some roads will be impassable. If you will start a separate thread stating your initial itinerary, many knowledeable members of ST will give you valuable advices.

One more thing, use a local tour agent. We did, first time after 20+ years of traveling the world, and we were happy to do so.

Peter Connan

If you have travelled solo in the outback, I am sure Namibia will not be a problem.

Just like the outback, most of Namibia is dry and sparsely populated, so make sure you have a good supply of water and food, and also make sure that you have set up a regular contact schedule with somebody who has your itinerary. That way, if you have a vehicle breakdown or similar, somebody knows where to start looking. Follow these precautions and you will be fine.

Thanks guys. Will start a new thread with my trip details to see what people think.

• 1 year later...
Jaycees2012

@@xelas

Great TR. We travelled around northern Namibia a few years ago and loved it - and will be going back later this year so I'm planning to read your 'Red Dune' TR next :)

Loved the photos - but particularly liked the one of the LBR with the spider (I can see why this is a favourite of lots of people), the field of Springbok horns in the long grass, the ever so small baby chameleon and that beautiful water sprayed gecko!!

@@Jaycees2012

Thanks for reading our TR. Namibia indeed is a very attractive country: wildlife and landscapes and people, they all deserve multiple visits.

• 1 year later...

Fantastic photos!!! Nice trip report as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for encouraging words, @@opsafari ! Sorry for late reply, we have been out of the office ... in Namibia!!