Ganeshgudi – armchair birding (contd)

xnegvx

Going ahead with my series of trip reports, I have finally finished the final installment as well. Ganeshgudi was my last destination and I had a great time there. Anyone who is loves birding, should visit the area. I seriously hope that OMH retains its old world charm and does not give in to pressure of "renovation", its great the way it is.

The last and final installment of the report can be found at:

http://wildwildindia.com/ganeshgudi-armchair-birding-contd/

MG_3442.jpg

I hope you enjoy reading it. I sure had fun writing and reliving the trip.

Cheers,
Kartik

michael-ibk

Another fantastic installment. Love the pic of the Green Vine Snake and the Paradies Flycatcher. You really had an awesome trip, thanks for sharing. :)

@@michael-ibk : Thank you for the kind words. It indeed was an excellant trip, and I had some really memorable sightings. The paradise flycatcher is a tease for photographers, I am yet to see a photographer who is immune to his charm :-)

Cheers :)

Edited by xnegvx

Really enjoyed reading the installments of your trip to the old magazine house.

Looks like you had some wonderful sightings.

I visited Cotigoa wildlife sanctuary,during my visit to India last winter and had planned on going back again this winter.

After reading your reports I think that I may also look into staying a couple of days at Ganeshgudi during my time in Goa.

Thanks for posting

Cheers :)

@@Johnmac : I think it will be really good if you can make it to Ganeshgudi for a day or two. Specially if you would like to take it easy and do lazy birding. Cotigao has some amazing birdlife and I had some great time with the Trogon there.

Cheers,

Kartik

Edited by xnegvx

Yes,I also had some great sightings of Malabar Trogon at Cotigoa.

Particularly around the 1st tree house at small water hole. Was a good climb up the steel ladder up to the viewing point. Really good and high vantage point though. I was observing a pair of Trogons playing when I heard a rustle behind me and was at eye level with a Malabar giant squirrel in the tree canopy.

Really enjoyed walking around Cotigoa,it was a very peaceful and beautiful place.After visiting Ranthambhore and Tadoba NP on the same trip,it was a complete contrast to just wander around the trails on foot trying to spot wildlife.

When I was there,the small zoo at the entrance to the NP had just received a very young and very beautiful Leopard that had just wandered into 1 of the local villages in the NP. It was thought that its mother had been killed and the youngster through hunger had moved to the village. Sad but at least he would survive.They said that he would be moved to a local zoo as it would not be safe to release him back into the wild.

Will be back next winter!!!!!!

Goa indeed was fantastic. The sancturies as well as river cruise was an unforgettable experience. I might do it again if my winter plans work out in favor of western ghats. :-)

Cheers