Snow Leopard Expedition to Ladakh

Nature Traveler

Nature Traveler

Truly a mythical animal for wildlife watchers around the world, the Snow Leopard represents for most of us the unattainable; the impossible; the one species that will always be a pipe dream. It was that way for us anyway. But that is until October 2014! Two weeks ago, the Smith family trekked deep in to the heart of Hemis National Park in Jammu & Kashmir and spent over a week tracking and spotting FIVE wild Snow Leopards! This trip report shares our experiences and images of the this truly epic expedition! Enjoy!

Here is Link to the Story

http://cokesmithphototravel.com/snow-leopard-expedition-in-ladakh--india.html

post-17399-0-07214800-1415795385_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Magic ......

Holy Grail - and you had FIVE of them! :)

@@Nature Traveler

A wonderful report. You had really good sightings of the leopard, and I am pleased you got to see the Urial (and the Blue Sheep and tibetan Wolf!)

The scenery is also amazing.

We went to Ladakh more than 10 years ago (not a wildlife trip so we didn't have wonderful sightings like you). We trekked between villages with a home-stay in each one. I remember how draining the lack of Oxygen was so I sympathise with you for this. I think it takes a long time to get used to this altitude.

Thank you for the report - I really enjoyed it.

Thanks so much for posting your TR. Amazing photos of snow leopards and how magic to see 5 different cats.

I enjoyed the variety of wildlife in your report from snow leopards to blue sheep, urial, wolves and birds and smaller creatures. Truly a wealth of sightings in this seemingly barren land.

Amazing report. I would love to spot the snow leopard in Ladakh.

Do you know how are the possibilities in Tadjikistan, Pakistan and Mongolia where safaris are also offered to tourists?

Cheers

Fantastic trip report Coke. I'm still contemplating whether I can cope with a trip to Ladakh. Having just spent some time in Ruoergai I'm even less convinced that I would enjoy such a trip, even though I'm sure the sightings would be all the more rewarding for the effort!! :D

Nature Traveler

I know the leopards are definitely in the locations you mentioned Jeremie, but as far as I know there are no reputable tour operations offering expeditions to see them. Ladakh has it down to an art. I think that perhaps one day the success seen in Hemis will open up other options, but for now I would center on Ladakh if you are interested in getting a good chance at spotting the species. Prices are fair and the odds are better than 50/50.

• 2 weeks later...

Snow leopards for me, like Siberian tigers, have been the impossible dream (a dream too far) @@Nature Traveler

So your TR brings hope. Thanks for sharing