R&R in Ruaha

pault

Great TR @@pault and super photographs. Like others I sympathise with your "vehicle mates" scenario, fortunately it's never been an issue for us as our camps have always been very good at keeping like minded folk together. Having said that, I don't envy the camp manager at one Ruaha camp when we were there - we were sitting in Coastal's dep.lounge at Dar when two ladies walked in, overweight, matching safari outfits, the works! Before anyone jumps to conclusions, they weren't American (& my apology for the stereotypical response, I'm ashamed to admit that it was mine!) but British and proceeded to ignore everyone before, during & after the flight to Ruaha - to such an extent that when their camp vehicle arrived (we were on the quick Pilatus) they went and sat in it for the next hour & 1/2 on their own until the slow flight arrived via Selous.

You weren't much later than us in Ruaha & we didn't see leopard at all - but we did see Roan - apparently they spend most of their time up on the escarpment and only head down to the river around midday to drink before heading back.

This is clearly the nightmare that many of you wake from in the middle of the night, sweating. I know it vexes me. Hard to think I would get any more sympathy if I had lost a leg!

Anyway, thank you and I would like to stress that we did recover and there is no premanent damage. :P

@@Kitsafari... Hi, thanks and (i) my wife either loves me or Africa very much (ii) safari is like a nice little bush holiday for them - and interactive. And sorry you've been feeling so down. It's sad, I know.

I've enjoyed your tales and photos right up to where you state the depressing part starts.

It's easy to feel helpless when an ele is right outside the tent. I understand. Leopards everywhere for you!

------------------------------

Onward. Your preamable made sense of where you were coming from

"didn't want to be bumping around too long - it was uncomfortable" No, oh no!

You certainly did get some outstanding giraffe photos!

Edited by Atravelynn

Of course one of the nicest drives in Ruaha is along the river. Since you cannot offrioad, there are only certain locations where you can get close to the river, and there is the potential for these circuits to becpme busy. However, that was certainly not a problem for us in Spetember 2014. We met very few vehicles, even thought we were there for the reappearance of the buffaloes, in the form of a very large herd (I wouldn't like to put a number on it but 200-400 animals at a guess).

A river drive here always seems to produce a good variety of wildlife, and this drive was no exception. There isn't really a lot to tell. Drive, spot stop. Or drive, stop and spot. Either way works! Often things are a bit far away since the banks are fairly high, but msot animals here are reasonably relaxed and the rriver bed walking is very good. Actually we should have been doing a walk on this day but having not been able to get much further than the Mwagusi so far, for reasons mentioned, we decided to do a drive.

Along the river

Classic viewpoint. Elephants and a lion (the dot in front of the fourth ele from the left!)

i-vXnqKTd-XL.jpg

Little patches of forest are a feature and the shade is a great place to find animals once it warrms up, although try not to disturb them.

i-tDknDQR-XL.jpg

In the Uganda section of my report I mentioned I got some good practice capturing Pied Kingfishers diiving and fishing. Although I was on the wrong side to make actual diving shots interesting, their habit of hanging out their wings after they exit the water creates nice pictures even from behind. They look almost static but they were moving fast. - they hover higher than this.

i-9xZMFts-XL.jpg

i-9KczzG5-XL.jpg

Croc looking full or pregnant... how little do I know about crocodiles?

i-VL4VprF-XL.jpg

Bee-eater doing just that

i-mQZGJW5-XL.jpg

Water monitor

i-6FwrJ8G-XL.jpg

Yelow-billed storks doing their thing in the heat.

i-KR4GFgz-XL.jpg

Great Egret fishing

i-Bx43LNf-XL.jpg

Naturally there are plenty of baboons and monkeys

i-7PH2WzD-XL.jpg

And Impalas

i-gcrdRwD-XL.jpg

More along the river

i-gK5PXcw-XL.jpg

A few processed shots....

i-SqHSSL5-XL.jpg

i-k24527b-XL.jpg

i-6Kfvsz3-XL.jpg

And.... ladies and gentlemen. From out of the wilderness,,, who knows where. May we present..................................

i-qQ68gnh-XL.jpg

......................the buffaloes!

i-JkP9n9w-XL.jpg

I clicked back here because I realized I forgot to like those cool giraffes and low and behold, another excellent installment of photos.

I have to say that despite the previously mentioned issues, you have come home with some delightful photos. Very enjoyable.

Love the Ele, Giraffe, Impalo and Buffalo pics! :)

beautiful colours in the panoramic shot of the eles in #54 and that vertically hovering kingfisher is stunning.

beautiful colours in the panoramic shot of the eles in #54 and that vertically hovering kingfisher is stunning.

It's actually exploding up out of the water - you can see the drops of water following it out if you look closely. I think the wing position is at the top of a very vigorous flap. But yes, it really does look like hovering doesn't it? But they hover much higher than that.

Look here to see......

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/24/article-2207693-1528510A000005DC-731_634x430.jpg

Edited by pault

@@pault

I really love this report and its illustrations. Being more focused on close-ups and details, it makes me rediscover Ruaha, as @@FlyTraveler report's also does, with its landscapes and wide spaces' pictures. Thank you!

I love this trip report @@pault! My heart almost skips a beat when looking at your photos and the beauty of Ruaha. They are all extremely beautiful, the B@W flying Yellow-billed storks photo is my pick from the latest batch, though... I am sorry to hear about the inconveniences with the other guests while on game drive, I've had similar (although not the same) experiences even with my very limited safari experience. Really enjoy your narration, as well and always promise myself that I would go through all of your reports again when I have time or at least through the most recent ones about Uganda and Ruaha... Thanks for sharing your experiences and photographic and writing talents.

Edited by FlyTraveler

@@pault, I'll meet you and your wife at Serian! :D

If you want to drop in around Feb..I'd have room :D

I'm a bit late as usual, but really excellent pictures and storytelling - the elephant outside the tent was totally captivating. I also am impressed by the detail/texture of many things in your photos, namely tree bark and bird plumage. Perhaps that's a weird thing to point out, but I noticed it!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent report & stunning photos!

My favourites were the giraffe with oxpeckers and the eles.

The ele outside your tent is amazing!

I've become more & more interested in birds with each safari however would be a bit short on patience if my vehicle mates were into playing bird identificatoon games AND bird calls. Sounds like the camp did the best they could for you tho.

Edited by KathBC

• 2 weeks later...

@@pault from here in Oz to save you (your TR) "for a cold night with a cup of cocoa" means far too long a wait!

Your report captures the magic and atmosphere of Ruaha beautifully both in your descriptive words and wonderful photos. Thank you.

PS I know exactly what you mean when you say:-

Anyway, it's one of those parks that everyone will like, but some (a sizable some) will love. I am in the latter category. I think about going there every year. I rarely do, but I think about

That could make a good topic for a new post @@pault asking people what parks fall into your above category ?

PPS In a few months time on a cold night I'll revisit this report to enjoy it again - without cocoa but perhaps with something else in lieu.

@

Like your photo; I have become quite fond of Kudu after seeing so many in Tz and Zim.

We also loved Ruaha. But I have not been anywhere I haven't loved in Africa. All so special.

I see you are a wildlife photographer-- do you have a blog, web page, fb page for us to peruse? It's cold and wintery here; got to do something while sipping my fine red wine!

Edited by graceland

Wonderful photos with a nice diversity of animals seen! Brilliant storytelling too!

I so feel for you regarding the other guests in your vehicle - I am so traumatized by past experience that from now on I will be requesting a private vehicle. I seem to be a magnet for sharing a vehicle with folks who should never be on safari in the first place.

Great trip report on Ruaha. I visited it in 2012 on a private but budget custom made safari which consisted of 6 nights Selous and 6 nights Ruaha. I stayed in the public huts by the river not far from the park HQ! Had the whole place to myself for six nights at the end of May!! Eles crossed the river every night right in front of where I was sitting,lions roaring outside my hut for two nights!! Did not see leopard but saw cheetah once. Lots of elephant and lions including on a kill. Loved the scenery and loved Ruaha!! Stunning baobobs and dry riverbed action with lions. It was a nature crossover between Selous and Serengeti in species type. Need to go back! Maybe one September in the dry season...

@@Swahealy 43 Need to do a trip report then... I think many would be interested in the budget option. Matt.

Grrr just lost two hours of typing!!! Will have to start again tomorrow?! Damn!!

@@Swahealy 43 Start a new topic in the trip reports subforum. Always worth writing in word then copying and pasting. But you should have a recover option at the bottom of the text box if you were writing directly into a post on ST.

@@pault, just caught up with your report. Had a lovely time reading about your trip so far. The pictures are simply magnificent, you are a talented photographer. But your humor and narrative is what really makes your reports special. Thank you.

Your experience with your vehicle mates, just reinforces my thinking on the requirement for a PV. Bread and water will suffice, but great guide and PV required.

Edited by AKR1