Madagascar in 100 Seconds

cheetah80

We are making a habit out of this it seems, but in lieu of a conventional trip report here is a video with 100 1-second clips from our trip to Madagascar in September/October 2013. Shot and compiled by my partner who still is not on Safaritalk...

If you are interested in more short videos of Madagascar - in a more regular format - here they are

The Dancing Sifakas

The Call of the Indri

Fascinating "wiz through" Madagascar @@cheetah80 with many familiar sights (& sounds) from our trip in 2013. You covered more ground than we did though, how long was your trip?

Thank you @@AfricIan glad you like it. We spent 3.5 weeks there - and we would have needed a lot more to actually see all I wanted to see :)

Edited by cheetah80

Great stuff! You definitely got around a bit! :)

How did you get the underwater swimming shot?

I had not realized how incredible the Dancing Sifakas were. That shot where it leaps from flag to flag is almost a powerful unifying message for the world.

As a novice to Madagascar, isn't the Indri call "the money shot" that everyone tries to hear? Actually, a rather annoying sound, but not to other Indris.

Very cool clips!

Edited by Atravelynn

That bridge around one minute into the video looks straight out of Indiana Jones.

Looks like a great trip full of color and variety.

The sifakas must be one of the most entertaining animals to watch, anywhere.

Why is so little attention paid to Madagascar's incredible wildlife?

Madagascar is home to 5% of global biodiversity and the second highest number of threatened mammals in the world – yet even cartoon lemurs in the movie of the same name seem to receive more public attention and cash

a timely article in the Guardian from Alison Clausen (Alison Clausen is Madagascar country director for the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS))

I hope you don't mind me posting this here @@cheetah80, I'm not trying to hijack your TR. It just seemed appropriate as background information on Madagascar.

I'd go. I need to move to another continent :unsure:

Met several folks on a plane who were going.Sounded (and looks) amazing.

Thanks for sharing @@cheetah80!

Thanks everyone glad you liked it :-)

@@Atravelynn

The swimming shot was taken with a go pro - the water was shallow so we placed it face up at the bottom :-) The dancing sifakas are amazing!! I was mesmerised by them and spent hours and hours waiting for them to dance! They do not do it too often ;-) Seeing them jump so gracefully, powerfully and acrobatically was pretty special too. The call of the indri is unlike any other thing I have ever heard anywhere - and it is unbelievably LOUD. If you are close to them they hurt your ears!!

@@Marks yeah that bridge was pretty adventurous , especially when it sways with each step. I have to admit my legs were a bit weak :-)

@@Soukous I am glad you bring these things up - I can't believe we are letting Madagascar go up in smoke. Literally. It broke my heart to see everywhere being slash and burned and the amount of land used for agriculture. All the wonderful animals are literally living in the tiniest pockets of viable habitat - marooned. I urge anyone who loves wildlife to visit, and visit soon - you can feel the vice being tightened around the wildlife, it won't be around for long. Tourism might help to save the precious little that still exists.

Since you liked the Sifakas here is my favourite shot that I took :-)

gallery_6535_1182_99018.jpg

Ok can't resist - have to include the Fosa :-) I can't believe this wild Fosa let me approach this close :-)

gallery_6535_1182_16167.jpg

one two cha cha cha

• 4 weeks later...

one two cha cha cha

I was thinking more along the lines of "Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive"

Ok can't resist - have to include the Fosa :-) I can't believe this wild Fosa let me approach this close :-)

gallery_6535_1182_16167.jpg

A cross between cute and scary!