Lesser Spotted Eagle?

mvecht

Hello

These pictures where taken in Botswana in September 2007.

The guide "gestimated" it to be a Lesser Spotted Eagle.

Can anyone comment on this?

post-5254-0-54672900-1423235650_thumb.jpg

post-5254-0-12255700-1423235725_thumb.jpg

Towlersonsafari

Courtesy of the raptor guide of southern Africa I think it is a juvenile.

Towlersonsafari

I thought that the white line between the flight feathers and underwing coverts and what I think are white undertail coverts however I am not an expert!

For me the line isn't pronounced enough as a proper line (although I can see some white feathers, so I can see where you're coming from). I think it's the upper tail that should have a white crescent for Lesser Spotted Eagle.

I haven't seen Lesser Spotted Eagle myself, so my words should be taken with a grain of salt. I'd expect a more obviously barred tail and a more pronounced white bar on the underwing. The illustrations in my field guide don't show the dark streaks on the breast, and it shows a gape line to the rear of the eye.

Tawny eagle is notoriously variable. But my field guide also mentions the legs in Lesser Spotted appearing `unusually thin', and this bird seems to have pretty well-developed legs and talons.

Andrea

Towlersonsafari

Yes my guidebook says "long thin looking stove pipe legs" For lesser spotted ! Are you happy about the eye colour for tawney eagle? Dull yellow or pale brown? I've never seen one either!

Eye colour is fine for Tawny. I've seen plenty of those, just no Steppes.

Tawny eagles come in a lot of colour variations - in August I spent about half an hour staring at one in the Masai Mara which was very dark, and I thought it had to be something else. But it was a Tawny, confirmed also from photos I posted on a birding website.

I've certainly seen other Tawnies with light and dark feathers intermingled. I even have a bad photo of one somewhere.

Towlersonsafari

those Tawney Eagles just won't stick to one colour scheme!-thanks for your help