Londolozi, Sabi Sand Trip Report

marindadrake

marindadrake

Our trip to Londolozi started on the 12th of March for 3 nights. On arrival we were welcomed by the friendly camp managers and butlers of Founders camp.

On our 1st afternoon game drive we headed over the Sand River to the northern section of the property.

We had a drink stop in the Manyelethi river bed with rangers Andrea, Nick, tracker joy and Kim.

On our way back to camp we saw a crocodile on the causeway fishing.

Beautiful view across the Sand River towards the western section of the property.

Sunset over the Sand River.

post-48001-0-66393500-1426787969_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-33184400-1426788050_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-42024700-1426788104_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-52558600-1426788142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Game Warden

marindadrake

The following morning's game drive started early. We had an amazing sighting of a male cheetah.

On the afternoon game drive we visited a hyena den, with a fairly big pup with the mother hyena.

The following morning's drive was the highlight of our trip, founding a pack of 14 endangered wild dog in the Maxabene river bed.

Great interaction with the animals, a leopard with a kill in a tree above them, and 2 hyena on the side and the wild dogs growling at them, something I have never experienced before.

The afternoon game drive delivered beautiful giraffe and zebra.

post-48001-0-38623200-1426789432_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-29483700-1426789760_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-10371800-1426789792_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-92781100-1426789883_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-44334400-1426789902_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-42707100-1426789922_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-38778300-1426789940_thumb.jpg

marindadrake

The next morning out early again on drive coming across 2 old buffalo dagga boys.

We were fortunate to see an endangered white rhino cow with a calf, and a rhino bull lurking nearby.

We came across a breeding herd of elephant. Awesome to watch these amazing animals.

It was an amazing trip and we hope to be back soon.

post-48001-0-45933500-1426790077_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-66116100-1426790148_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-27938600-1426790169_thumb.jpg

post-48001-0-61826700-1426790243_thumb.jpg

@@marindadrake wow! Wild dogs, and interaction with the hyenas! I hope we get lucky as you when we are up there in July.

Thanks for sharing your trip and you had some great sightings.

May I ask if the camp sat 6 persons to a vehicle or more? We watch the wild safari live shows (at Djuma, sabi Sands) on the Internet and often we see the vehicles have 9 in one car!

How did you like the guides at the our founder camp? We will be there for a couple of nights.

Great pictures! Wild dogs and cheetah - very lucky!

marindadrake

Hi Kitsafari there is a maximum of 6 guests per safari vechile.

Founders camp is my favourite camp at Londolzi. The rooms chalet's are beautiful. Food is awesome and the staff is always friendly and helpful

marindadrake

Hi Marks, thanks, it was awesome to view these endangered animals

Love the rhino pics, and wild dogs and cheetah... Lucky times....in just three nights!

I knew Kitsafari would be following this; I can't wait for her to go and come back with a terrific report.

marindadrake

Hi Graceland. We were lucky indeed, especially with the wild dogs and cheetah. We don't get to see them often when on safari.

• 2 months later...
TravelinTeacherAU

Thanks for the pictures and report! We are headed to Sabi Sands in July. You've got me excited!

Thanks for the pictures and report! We are headed to Sabi Sands in July. You've got me excited!

Hi @@TravelinTeacherAU, when in July will you be in sabi sands? Are you also staying at Londolozi?

TravelinTeacherAU

Hi @@TravelinTeacherAU, when in July will you be in sabi sands? Are you also staying at Londolozi?

Ha, I wish, @@Kitsafari. We are doing 3 nights in Nottens (July 16-19) and then 3 in Idube (July 19-21).

We are in Cape Town the week before (July 10-15).

Ha, I wish, @@Kitsafari. We are doing 3 nights in Nottens (July 16-19) and then 3 in Idube (July 19-21).

TravelinTeacherAU,

Please report when you come back - we'll be in Cape Town and Nottens in September :)

@@TravelinTeacherAU we are in timbavati from July 17 to 21 so unlikely to bump into you. have a great trip nevertheless and look forward to reading all about your trip in ST!

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-63155200-1433296724_thumb.jpg

~ @@marindadrake

The little rhino seems to be directly looking at the camera lens.

Not any apparent anxiety...just mildly curious.

A very nice rhino image!

Tom K.

marindadrake

Thank you Tom K. It is really a privilege to view these animals in the Sabi Sand. They are very relaxed around the game viewing vechiles, and you can get great shots.

marindadrake

Traveling Teacher AU it is really awesome to travel to the Sabi Sands. It is a bit cool in the mornings in July on the game drives, but the lodges wrap you up warmly in blankets and warm water bottles. Just take a beanie, gloves and a scarf with.

The light is very good for photography in winter and you get the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Enjoy your trip.

Tom Kellie

Thank you Tom K. It is really a privilege to view these animals in the Sabi Sand. They are very relaxed around the game viewing vechiles, and you can get great shots.

~ @@marindadrake

What especially interests me is that your images were in Sabi Sands.

For the past few months Sabi Sands has been on my mind.

I'm nowhere near making a commitment and booking yet, but it's becoming attractive to me.

Thank you so much for your helpful comment.

Tom K.

• 3 weeks later...

On the afternoon game drive we visited a hyena den, with a fairly big pup with the mother hyena.

It's the size of mama. Time for weaning! It's almost funny.

Cheetah AND wild dog in Londolozi, that's great luck. Thanks for sharing the report and photos.