Last one taken at Bitterpan

post-17162-0-53134500-1434560191_thumb.jpg

@@penolva

Beau-ti-ful!! The first at Kielikrankie looks the best to me. We did not consult the lunar calendar but we have been lucky this time.

Peter Connan

They are all stunning Pen!

Please remind me again what focal length lens you use for these, and am I correct in saying the camera is a full-frame?

Thank you.

Thank you Peter, much appreciated. We used a 14mm lens on our Nikon D610 full-frame camera.

@@penolva lovely shots. We were there at full moon, so virtually pointless even trying :(

Next time I will consult the lunar calendar before booking.....

Thanks @@Tdgraves. Very true about the moon, printing off the lunar calendar is one of the first things I do before I start booking. :rolleyes:

Peter Connan

Thanks Pen

@@penolva I have been browsing bits and pieces of this excellent report but I have just now sat and read it, with great pleasure, all the way through. I especially enjoyed learning about some of the lesser known parks and have added them to my wish list for future trips. You had some great sightings. I particularly liked the caracal (on my wish list as we've never seen one), the bat eared foxes (also on our wish list), the meerkats, the elephants in Addo, the brown hyena, the lion roadblock, the big storm, the wonderful shots of scenery, and, of course, the lilac breasted roller sequence.

I was especially interested in the Kgalagadi portion of the trip as we have just booked to go there next year. In fact it was your book on your trip to Kruger and Kgalagadi that helped us make the decision to do a self drive trip to Kgalagadi next year.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Edited by Pennyanne

@@Pennyanne thank you for reading it all!! And glad you enjoyed my book last year.

Just about to put the book of this trip on here in case anyone is interested.

When are you going to Kgalagadi next year? Pen

Your final night skies are a spectacle! The red dust really colors the photos, almost as if using a lens filter. Was the pair of hornbills right below the other two "lovebirds" intentional in your photo placement? It seemed obvious to me.

Great trip. Since you answered all the other questions, here's one more. Why did you choose this time frame?

Edited by Atravelynn

@Atravelynne we were happy to share the tree with the other 'lovebirds' and they tolerated

us :)

We chose the time of year to fit in two trips with a reasonable time between. I look after my 91 year old father so I need to sort things out for him. We leave in 7 weeks for Namibia, Botswana and Zambia. Pen

@@Pennyanne thank you for reading it all!! And glad you enjoyed my book last year.

Just about to put the book of this trip on here in case anyone is interested.

When are you going to Kgalagadi next year? Pen

@@penolva We will be there for two weeks starting April 27 then will go into Namibia. Just read your book today too - fantastic!

@@Pennyanne glad you enjoyed the book. We will miss you next year as we are there in Feb/March and again in September, it's a shame, everyone is missing each other next year!

@penolva Thoroughly enjoyed this TR and especially the additional images since I last visited.

SafariChick

@@penolva just read this report in two big chunks, last night and today - wonderful photos and thanks so much for talking about the logistics and where you stayed. Loved the caracal, mongoose, rainstorm, and red rhino and the LBR-worm series was great! Where did you fly into and out of? How long did it take to drive back to the airport after your last stop?

@@SafariChick thank you for the kind comments. From Mokala back to the B&B in Johannesburg took roughly 7 hours. We flew into and out of Johannesburg this trip. Pen

The nighttime shots on this page are as beautiful as anything I've ever seen. I'm seriously in awe of the spectacle itself and of your ability to capture it!

@@Marks thanks a lot. We love to try to capture the clear night skies in Africa. It's a big part of the holiday.