Show us your flamingos...

Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-66081700-1432628821_thumb.jpg

Phoenicopterus ruber in Lake Bogoria

Photographed at 10:06 am on 10 February, 2014 in Lake Bogoria National Reserve, Kenya using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/4000 sec., f/5.6. 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

******************************************************************************************************

Due to the flooded lakeshore, we had a bumpy ride on the hillside overlooking Lake Bogoria. A hare, several female greater kudu and various birds had enlivened the drive.

Upon reaching a geyser area, Anthony produced eggs to cook in the boiling water. This Phoenicopterus ruber, Greater Flamingo, was quietly wading in the water, its color drawing our admiration.

Hi @@Tom Kellie ...very nice pic...especially the reflection of the greater flamingo in the water. ..have you visited lake nakuru also...plz share some pics

Tom Kellie

Hi @@Tom Kellie ...very nice pic...especially the reflection of the greater flamingo in the water. ..have you visited lake nakuru also...plz share some pics

~ Hello and thank you, @@gagan

Yes, I've visited Lake Nakuru 4 times, and will very likely visit it for a 5th time two months later.

There are lovely flamingos throughout the world, thus I placed this topic under ‘Worldwide birds’.

I'm so pleased that you liked the Lake Bogoria flamingo.

According to your request, I'll add a Lake Nakuru flamingo image.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-59091700-1432676088_thumb.jpg

Phoeniconaias minor at Lake Nakuru

Photographed at 10:33 am on 9 February, 2014 at Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/5000 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

******************************************************************************************************

Observing and photographing flamingos at Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya, has been a hit or miss proposition in each of the four visits I've made there.

Rising water levels have affected food supply, thus the picturesque immense flocks of flamingos are less frequently seen.

These Phoeniconaias minor, Lesser Flamingo, were feeding in a lake-side puddle, their distinctive plumage a splash of improbable pink.

Tom Kellie

~ @@gagan

One reason I've refrained from posting flamingo images until now was because I've seen such stunning massed flamingo shots by others, which I've never yet been in a position to make.

Another reason is that I've fretted about identification, as in the field I've confused the two flamingo species found in East Africa.

I'm not a birder, lacking their refined skills, thus am more clumsy in identifying species.

Tom K.

~ @@gagan

One reason I've refrained from posting flamingo images until now was because I've seen such stunning massed flamingo shots by others, which I've never yet been in a position to make.

Another reason is that I've fretted about identification, as in the field I've confused the two flamingo species found in East Africa.

I'm not a birder, lacking their refined skills, thus am more clumsy in identifying species.

Tom K.

Aah @@Tom Kellie ..you are so humble....just give your best everytime ..whether it is photography or any other thing...nobody is a real master here...

Tom Kellie

Aah @@Tom Kellie ..you are so humble....just give your best everytime ..whether it is photography or any other thing...nobody is a real master here...

~ @@gagan

Much time is devoted to establishing correct identification.

Yet even after doing so, errors creep in.

Fortunately, other Safaritalk members graciously correct by sending private messages.

I like that about Safaritalk.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie Ahh!! You are already using ISO 800.

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie Ahh!! You are already using ISO 800.

~ @@Geoff

It's been known to happen. :)

Nonetheless, in the upcoming late July safari — 50 days hence — I'll be following your kind suggestion and making greater use of it.

Very likely maintaining ISO 800 throughout entire game drives, in order to see how it goes, especially in more bird-rich areas.

You may be sure that I'll be thinking of you, truly wishing that you were along for the game drive, camera in hand.

Tom K.

Love that first portrait, very striking.

Tom Kellie

Love that first portrait, very striking.

~ @@twaffle

Thank you!

That visit to Lake Bogoria hadn't gone as expected, because of the lake's raised level due to ongoing heavy flooding.

As with other major lakes in Kenya, most notably Lake Nakuru, the altered shorelines and changed water consistency has strikingly affected flamingos.

We'd not seen the flamingo flocks for which Lake Bogoria was known.

Thus spotting this lone flamingo was a highlight of the visit, especially as its stance had a certain soulful quality.

I'm so pleased that you liked it.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-95110000-1433292953_thumb.jpg

Phoeniconaias minor in Flight
Photographed at 10:05 am on 10 February, 2014 at Lake Bogoria, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.
ISO 800, 1/4000 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.
*****************************************************************************************************
We'd been warned by the KWS staff at the gate that due to heavily flooded conditions it was unlikely that we'd see many flamingos while visiting Lake Bogoria.
Their kind advice notwithstanding, we observed a small coterie of Phoeniconaias minor, Lesser Flamingo, near the spouting geyser area, including this duo in flight.

post-49296-0-00532300-1433917856_thumb.jpg

Flamingos at Lake Bogoria

Photographed at 8:36 am on 10 February, 2014 at Lake Bogoria, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/4000 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

After entering Lake Bogoria National Reserve, the track briefly passed near the lakeshore before climbing upward to skirt the flood-damaged former route.

After rounding a small bend flamingos were spotted in the shallows. We'd been warned that flamingos might be absent, thus felt grateful to encounter these.

• 9 months later...

Flamingos as birds are beguiling,

With elongated form and colors pink,

Even when tempers may be riling,

Flamingos remain lovely, don't you think?

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Guidoriccio11

Welvis Bay lagoon, Namibia - July 2014

post-50537-0-53847100-1459280526_thumb.jpg

~ @@Guidoriccio11

SPECTACULAR!

The three colors — brown, blue and pink — are so well presented.

To my taste, this is such a lovely flamingo image.

The wide expanse with flamingos in the distance is impressive.

It's the colors which so deeply impress me.

This is an image worthy of printing, framing and hanging on a wall, to cheer one up on any gloomy day.

Thank you for posting it.

Tom K.

• 10 months later...

Galapagos Flamingos in Punta Moreno, Isabela Island, The Galapagos (2012 July)

gallery_51215_1641_237729.jpg

Galapagos Flamingos in Dragon Hill, Santa Cruz Island, The Galapagos (2012 July)

gallery_51215_1641_204142.jpg

Greater Flamingo. Taken at a bird sanctuary at Strandfontein near Cape Town.

Nikon D610, 1/1000 sec, f5.6, ISO125, 220mm (Sigma 150-600mm Sport).

post-50902-0-74874900-1487410591_thumb.jpg

Beautiful @@Davesg. That's an incredible place isn't it?

Beautiful @@Davesg. That's an incredible place isn't it?

Thanks Peter. It is an amazing place and becoming more and more popular with some unusual sightings recently.

Towlersonsafari

Hello @@Peter Connan and @@Davesg we have just had the pleasure of visiting the sewage works and saw the flamingos-first time for flamingos so close! both Greater and Lessor as well as the Red necked pharolope and the Temmicks Stint! sadly my photo's are not as good as the one @@Davesg has just posted!

Hello @@Peter Connan and @@Davesg we have just had the pleasure of visiting the sewage works and saw the flamingos-first time for flamingos so close! both Greater and Lessor as well as the Red necked pharolope and the Temmicks Stint! sadly my photo's are not as good as the one @@Davesg has just posted!

Thanks for your comment @@Towlersonsafari. Nice that you were able to get there and see the Red necked pharolope and the Temmicks Stint. They've attracted a lot of attention over the past couple few months.