The Primitive Trail. Hluhluwe iMfolozi, Kwa-Zulu Natal.

Game Warden

Game Warden

And like Columbo, "Just one more thing..." many of us noticed vultures, they seemed to be following us, charting our progression from the sky. What were they waiting for I wonder...

Grilointoafrica

What a fabulous report of a fabulous trail that I never thought of taking and just added to my bucket list.

Imfolozi is such a wonderful place that I do know from my childhood and remember it since I remember myself as well from Ian Player and my dearest frien Ian McCallum.

The writing and description of every moment is superb, the images also help, and the what and not to take, extremelly helpful!

Thank you, so much, for this.

:)

@@Soukous Love those B&W shots of the Rhino in the River in post #47. still re-catching up.

wow what an experience for all of you. the camaraderie and the fun interaction among the group shined through even in the different voices in the report. a reflective tone accompanied by beautiful pictures conveyed the beauty of the place. and your exhaustion but exhilaration for being one with nature came through. thank you all for sharing.

Thank you to everyone who generously shared their experiences on this adventure. The logistics and packing list at the end is very helpful. I've forwarded the link to this page to a number of people who may relish this kind of adventure.

Thank you to everyone who generously shared their experiences on this adventure. The logistics and packing list at the end is very helpful. I've forwarded the link to this page to a number of people who may relish this kind of adventure.

not tempted yourself @@twaffle

Yes - @@Soukous and I will join you. I know he can't wait to do it again. Only we need a closer lion charge and maybe a black rhino charge as well.

Yes - @@Soukous and I will join you. I know he can't wait to do it again. Only we need a closer lion charge and maybe a black rhino charge as well.

absolutely .. and I'll bring appropriate footwear this time - and a helium balloon to attach to my backpack.

Peter Connan

Having been through national service, this is far from being physically the hardest thing I have done. On the other hand,that was 23 years ago, all of which were spent riding a desk... Also, about 18 years ago I broke both my legs, and due to some bad doctoring, it took two years and 7 operations to get me back on my feet. And because I am a lazy git, I never really did enough exercise to get my strength back.

Bugs's legs have also had a "colourful" medical history, and if guys like us can survive this, then it should be within the ability of almost anyone who is reasonably fit and healthy.

On the other hand, I was lucky not to get any blisters, which definately helped. There is nothing quite like blisters to lay you low when you can't stop walking. So if you ever do something like this, take good care of your feet.

@@Game Warden, I have been fortunate to do a fair amount of walking in the bush in one particular area, and a lot of game drives in the same area. My experience is that one sees less game on foot than from a vehicle. The smaller game seems to be far more skittish when approached on foot, but larger game is less concerned. What sightings you do have are far more personal and intimate though, even at twice the distance.

I have two things to add to Matt's packing list:

1) If you are a contact lens wearer, definately take some hand wash of some type, and a pair of glasses. I struggled badly because I couldn't get my hands clean enough to install my contact lenses.

2) Keep the weight down as much as you can. Weight is definately the enemy here.

Now about whether or not you should do this:

Yes

Yes

Yes

if you possibly can, then do it. Being part of the bush, not removed from it for even one minute is better for the soul than you can possibly imagine.

But that's just my opinion.

Oh, just one more piece of info: KZN Wildlife also accepts the Wild Card, which is similar in concept to KZN's own card as described by Matt but far more wide-ranging, as it is accepted by all South African National Parks. If you are likely to spend more than ten days per year in South African parks, get one.

Things I would bring for next trip.

1. earplugs

2. gin and tonic

3. lemon

4. blow up mattress

5. biltong

6. my own backpack

7. I will carry a camera rather than binoculars

8. more pain killers to mix with the G&T

9. powdered juice - to take the taste off the muddy water.

Wonderfully written by all of you - it was a real pleasure to read. I personally would love to do something like this but that back pack toting is a deal breaker :(

This was a safari that clearly forged friendships and strengthened already existing bonds. For that reason alone, it was worth it! But when you add in the wildlife and the wilderness, it becomes a superlative experience.

Good for you that you all managed to hang in there and come back out so enriched. Wish all of you many more of these.

PS: I think @@Kavita did some version of this same trail. Her report is available on ST somewhere. I don't remember her talking about the big back packs, though, so perhaps it was the level below this one in terms of difficulty. But it was a 4 night trek in iMfolozi.

absolutely .. and I'll bring appropriate footwear this time - and a helium balloon to attach to my backpack.

It's quite funny but there is a lot about the trip that I would enjoy, and a few things that would be hard to overcome. Since I herniated discs in my neck, carrying any degree of weight is hard, but there are ways around it. Sitting around a campfire with Bugs is something I've wanted to do for a long time, just so we can discuss trade and conservation in person which is the best way to understand differing points of view.

From luxury safari camps to this is not such a big step in many ways and something that I'll be doing in Kenya in the not to distant future.

Peter Connan

PS: I think @@Kavita did some version of this same trail. Her report is available on ST somewhere. I don't remember her talking about the big back packs, though, so perhaps it was the level below this one in terms of difficulty. But it was a 4 night trek in iMfolozi.

They do have a number of other options, including, funnily enough, one where donkeys carry the luggage!

Thank you all so much for such a wonderful report! Brought so many memories back.

@@Sangeeta - Yes, we did a slightly more comfortable version of this 10 years ago. Our luggage was carried for us. It may have been on donkeys. Don't think we saw them though.

That was our first ever trip to Africa. Got charged by an elephant while sitting around the fire in the dark, on the very fist night. The guide had to use a smoke grenade. I remember telling my husband, in no uncertain terms, that 'this is NOT my idea of a holiday'!!

How things change :) How Africa changes you!

I am going to use this report to try to convince my other half to do it again.

How things change :) How Africa changes you!

Well said, @@Kavita - very well said. Maybe I'll tag along :D

This has been a real treat to follow along with. I imagine the camaraderie only reinforced the great wildlife experiences you were already having.

Game Warden

I've spoken to @@Bugs about a photo formatting issue I wasn't aware of, and in the coming days I'll be replacing the images in my post with newly edited ones.

Matt

Ben mosquito

What a wonderful adventure, thanks so much for the sharing!

offshorebirder

What an informative, entertaining and inspiring trip report! Thank you all for your posts.

@@Peter Connan - wonderful photos of little creatures. I especially like the African Monarch butterfly. But I think the "horse fly" on page 3 might be a Robber Fly?

Peter Connan

Sorry @@offshorebirder, you are correct. I translated in my head and thought no further than my nose is long!

Game Warden

Okay, I've edited in some redone photos into my posts. Matt.

Okay, I've edited in some redone photos into my posts. Matt.

Been busy!

Since @@Game Warden published his comprehensive list of what to take and what not to take I've been thinking about whether there was anything I could usefully add to his list. Overall I think I had the right kit and so this is mostly about fine tuning.

• BACKPACK - Both myself and @@Peter Connan brought out own backpacks for the trip. I think we both appreciated this. For me the main reason was that i could use a backpack I was comfortable with; one that I'd properly adjusted to fit me. Travelling with the backpack as my main luggage also prevented me from bringing more than I could fit into it.
  • BIVVI BAG - Although the temperature for most of the hike was very warm, our second night was very cold and my 2 season sleeping bag was not quite warm enough. I'd brought my own sleeping bag as well - simply because I prefer to sleep in my own bag rather than one of unknown provenance. It also rained a wee bit on our first night. To address both these issues I'd bring a bivvi bag or a survival bag that could act as an outer shell for my sleeping bag, keeping it dry and providing extra insulation (and thereby warmth)
  • FOOD - Some basic food supplies to supplement the food provided. Overall there was enough to eat - and the fact that it was pretty basic eliminated the temptation to over-eat. However I do like breakfast and dry muesli is not breakfast. ( I didn't realise there was any real milk until it had gone off. :blink: ) So I'd bring some breakfast bars with me. Maybe 2 for each morning. I'd also bring along a stick of salami. Salami is great trail food as it is tasty and compact. The high fat content makes it great for keeping energy levels up. It can also be used to add flavour to one-pot dishes. When the kit was being handed out at the start and we were given a spoon as our only piece of cutlery I knew what was in store food wise. It was a bit of a mystery though, when all we had was a spoon, that we had spaghetti. There are variations on pasta which are much more manageable with a spoon than spaghetti.
  • A different hat - Although my hat was lightweight and covered my head and ears it looked ridiculous. Hey, I've seen the photos. :o
Edited by Soukous

What about Biltong for snacks @@Soukous or was that already included in your food provisions?