Show us your owls...

Tom Kellie

offshorebirder

I had no idea Long-eared Owls nested in Arizona @Atdahl.    I thought they nested in the far north.    Thanks for educating me.

Perhaps the Admins could merge this thread with the previous "Show us your Owls" thread:

https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/14545-show-us-your-owls/

Edited by offshorebirder

Hey @offshorebirder, we didn't know this either and I don't think it's typical.  The ranger said it never happened before in Catalina SP that he is aware of.  But, we actually found a 2nd nest too.  So, it might be the new normal.

Alan

6 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

I had no idea Long-eared Owls nested in Arizona @Atdahl.    I thought they nested in the far north.    Thanks for educating me.

Perhaps the Admins could merge this thread with the previous "Show us your Owls" thread:

https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/14545-show-us-your-owls/

I've merged both topics although the older posts have appeared at the top, presumably because it goes according to the datelines. 

Looking forward to more Owls!!

Thanks for merging the threads @Kitsafari

I went back and counted the owls already posted and I believe we are up to 14 species posted now:

Verreaux's eagle owl
Eastern Screech-Owl
African Scops-Owl
barred owlet
pearl spotted owlet
southern white-faced scops owl
Spotted Eagle Owl
Long eared owl
Snowy Owl
African Barred Owl
Burrowing Owl
Sub-tropical pygmy owl
Spotted Wood Owl
Ferruginous Pygmy Owl

Here is species #15, vermiculated screech owls from the Osa peninsula in Costa Rica:

Owl%20Pair-L.jpg

Towlersonsafari

We have just had a splendid week in the east Riding of yorkshire and the cottage we stayed at, all on its own, had barn owls as neighbours.we were able to watch them most days, and they seemed to often follow the same pattern. One morning I  went and stood still in the corner of the cottage garden, hidden i hoped by the hedge.(i have to admit it was Jane's idea) and was treated to  such a close sighting, without seemingly disturbing the bird, that even i managed  some photo's

_5171780_DxO.jpg

_5171706_DxO.jpg

_5171804_DxO.jpg

Fantastic photos people!!  Here is my contribution - I believe it is a great grey owl (Strix nebulosa).  Sorry the second picture is not fantastic, but I just loved this fella's toe-beans!

May 16 2013 Thorhild Grazing Reserve (17).jpg

May 16 2013 Thorhild Grazing Reserve (18).jpg

Here is an owl from New Zealand. Commonly known as the Morepork, the Maori name is Ruru, English name NZ Owl and latin name Ninox novaeseelandiae.

This photo is of one we found injured on our farm. I was able to catch him and I fed him for several days before sending him to a rescue unit but sadly they were unable to save him. 

We hear them most nights from our home.

820107701_IMG_1783(2).JPG.f232ce93c820c376e81be76580a810e6.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG.1b4ca68cf28f2d84f7654e72c893557f.JPG

Here is a habitat shot of a Western Screech Owl.  It's amazing how many species use holes in saguaro cactus.

DSC_3059_edited-1-L.jpg

• 1 year later...

Currently we have large numbers of short-eared owls that have arrived in the south and east of the UK, probably due to severe weather in Scandinavia. They are superb birds to watch flying and hunting:

DSC_5828-Edit.jpg.4f8a634e7c49712907e60fcfb35e99d0.jpg

DSC_3124-Edit.jpg.c7890fd283ec4d77ad112b786bc10ed1.jpg