Simon & Jane's Excellent ( South African) Adventure

Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

The first animal we saw on our first drive was a magnificent male lion crossing the road in front of us and quite a few cars as the gates had just opened.We could not get a good spot, and it thwarted our efforts to cut it off at the pass (the dune road) by disappearing. Our next views were of sleeping lions quite a way off.e stayed with one pride of about 4 females and a male for about 90 minutes, came back an hour later and of course they had not moved. 2 days later we saw them again at Thirteenth waterhole and as you will see from the photo's they had ate very well indeed.

post-47279-0-52881400-1443125139_thumb.jpg

post-47279-0-62838900-1443125249_thumb.jpg

Our next encounter was very exciting.Driving north from Nossob, we came across 2 stationary cars, and approached slowly. A very kind driver-who we had seen before it turned out, not only pointed us in the right direction, but even moved his vehicle to allow us a better view.He whispered that 4 lionesses had only just killed a gemsbok-he had seen it-and we could see and hear the unmistakable sound of crunching and growling of 4 hungry lions.It was some way from the road, and on the passenger's side but here are 2 photo's from Jane's Panasonic travel camera at maximum Zoom.

post-47279-0-39177500-1443125557_thumb.jpg

post-47279-0-97648400-1443125622_thumb.jpg

We saw them about 2 hours later panting in an effort to keep cool and digest their meal

post-47279-0-58467600-1443125447_thumb.jpg

Our last encounter was the last sighting on the last drive on our last evening. Sitting at a water hole just before we had to get back, there in the distance, refusing to move closer, was a male lion-in the same area as the first one we had seen. Frustrating at the time, but not a bad last sighting to round off a splendid adventure.

Towlersonsafari

Here is the last sighting-the lion just in the distance!

post-47279-0-97393100-1443127379_thumb.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has kindly commented, or even read all the way through to the end.We had a great time, but then we were in Africa so we could hardly fail. Jane and I are lucky.We go the theatre, follow very bad sporting teams and watch Doctor Who and Game of Thrones ( well I do). We enjoy all of them. But wether its in Scotland say, watching Eagles and otters, or especially in Africa looking for lizards and lions -watching wildlife can make you turn to each other and just grin from ear to ear-"this is us, look what we are doing, we having such a great time!"

"What was that Jane?, a plan to do what? In search of the Black Footed cat? Yes you are right, who wants to see an Aardvark ...........

@@Towlersonsafari

Thanks for an enjoyable report, hopefully more to come in the future. Great red faced lion as well that's as good as it gets. If I ever get to KTP you will have to refer me to that very intelligent guide you failed to name :D

@@Towlersonsafari This was a delightful safari report! Your lively commentary and all the photos made me feel like I was on safari with you. Loved the owls, the caracal, wildcat, baby dassies! (I've only seen them from afar as they dash into the rocks). Also GoT (finally, the Emmy's recognized more than just Dinklage!) and Dr.Who fans here.

Thank you.

Following along has been great fun; thank you for this window into your excellent safari.

-watching wildlife can make you turn to each other and just grin from ear to ear-"this is us, look what we are doing, we having such a great time!"

Truer words were never spoken...this feeling is what keeps us coming back. :)

point 1. - done :D

point 2 - totally agree (but if following point 1. one can have a nice mix :) )

point 3 - already have the email of the manager ;)

point 4 - duly noted

point 5 - from which camp have you done it ??

point 6 - learned that one

point 7 - but it feels so soft when showering :rolleyes:

I hope we could enjoy at least some of the fantastic sights you have had. Thanks!

Towlersonsafari

@@xelas the main 3 camps and the kalahairi tented camp offer drives and the last time we were there the main camps offered morning walks but it depends on availability.you have to book when you get there. i like no. 7-we can have a splendid catch phrase now-"its safe but salty, and so soft in the shower" The park never fails to inspire so you will have a great time!

Very much enjoyed this report, thank you for sharing. Brown Hyena and Caracal were great sightings, just wonderful. And I especially loved the Namaqua "flowerscape", beautiful. Also appreciate all the helpful advice you´ve given.Often had to chuckle, you´re a very good and funny writer. :)

Thoroughly enjoyed this report with its wide variety from peering down aardvark holes to the wildlife, birds and magical flowerscapes all interspersed with your infectious and at times rollicking commentary.

Lots of interest and I must admit the strangeness of the black wildebeest was new to me.

As for the caracal - Wow - maybe just maybe one day I'll get lucky! - in the meantime great to see here.

Many thanks.

Towlersonsafari

will do @@Game Warden ! and thanks to everyone for the kind comments!