African Wildlife in Chicago and St. Louis

Safaridude

My wife and I were visiting our children in Chicago and St. Louis, and of course, I had to see some African wildlife. We visited The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and the St. Louis Zoo. Here are some photos, including very rare African animals...

gallery_6003_1393_677281.jpg

These are the famous "Man-eating Lions of Tsavo"

gallery_6003_1393_173119.jpg

That's a hirola in the foreground (roan antelope in the background). Most of the animals have been badly faded, but this one appears to have been "re-done". The hirola

is actually more bright and rufous in this presentation than in real life.

gallery_6003_1393_54948.jpg

Giant sable -- only found in Angola. As I was taking this photo, one of the patrons was saying how

the animal, with its sweeping horns, looked like it was out of a fairy tale. So true...

gallery_6003_1393_20647.jpg

A badly faded Nile lechwe. Typically, the males are black and white… and stunning. Only found in South Sudan and one tiny corner of Ethiopia

gallery_6003_1393_105309.jpg

No, these are not gerenuks. These are dibatags (note the forward curvature of the horns). Seeing this animal in the wild would be an accomplishment, since you would

have to risk your life. They only occur in Eastern Ethiopia and Somalia. Both places are a "no-go" zone for tourists at the moment.

gallery_6003_1393_202962.jpg

Speke's gazelle at the St. Louis Zoo. These also occur in Somalia and Ethiopia but are extremely rare now.

@@Safaridude

Really cool! I need to go check this out next time I'm in Chicago.

Regarding Dibatag, I was actually told that a well-known Ethiopian wildlife tour guide, Merid Gabremichael, has observed them in some place in Southern Ogaden (I wasn't told a precise site). Apparently they weren't that difficult to see and the site wasn't too risky either; in fact, I was informed that Merid is (or at least was) willing to take tourists out there. It would be an amazing trip to combine that antelope with Beira and Speke's Gazelle in Somaliland (both pretty easy to see) and African Wild Ass in Danakil (more difficult).

• 2 months later...

"These are the famous "Man-eating Lions of Tsavo"

I know that exhibit well but I refuse to read the book or see the movie because it would come back to haunt me when I awake in the middle of the night sometime in a remote tent in the bush. I'm just thinking ahead.

Are your children interested in the real thing?

@@Atravelynn

I should have said that they are the actual "Man-eating Lions of Tsavo."

My children have been on two family safaris. They are now all grown up, and family safaris will be hard to come by. But I am grateful for the two that we had.

madaboutcheetah

The Rams on the other hand will be leaving ST.Louis ........ ;)

@@Atravelynn

I should have said that they are the actual "Man-eating Lions of Tsavo." Right, these are the taxidermied pair.

My children have been on two family safaris. They are now all grown up, and family safaris will be hard to come by. But I am grateful for the two that we had. I'm sure they are grateful as well.