Trip Report: Northern Serengeti, October 2015

AKChui

This past October I photographed for nine days in the Northern Serengeti/Lamai Wedge—a very interesting and productive safari—along with shorter times in the Central Serengeti/Ndutu area, and Tarangire NP. This is Part 1 (Northern Serengeti); Parts 2 (Ndutu) and 3 (Tarangire) will follow as my processing/writing time permits.

You can read the TR here.

Being a professional photographer, I prefer to keep the images on my own server and part of my website, and be available to non-SafariTalk family/friends/neighbors.

Feel free to ask any questions that might arise…

Edited by AKChui

@AKR1 Try again--the forum software didn't like me using an apostrophe in the link, so I had to edit it.

Edit: The manual edit didn't work, so I redid the file names without the apostrophe, so it should work now.

Edited by AKChui

I'm pulling what hair I have left out trying to get this forum software to behave itself--check back later--maybe Matt can figure out why it won't accept an external link.

Edit: I removed the actual link from the posting and used a hidden link, and it seems to be working now. Let me know if you are still having problems...

Edited by AKChui

It works for me :). Your photos are outstanding. Thank you for sharing!

It works for me now, lovely photos except for the poor zebra with the snare. When we were in the same area in 2013, there was a young female leopard who had also recently lost a litter, the lion concentration in that area must be tough for them!

Excellent photos and storytelling! Love the Klippspringer and the Baby Hippo especially. Wow, that Marabou-Wildebeest scene looks like an animal version of the "The Walking Dead" - gross! Sad about the Leopard cubs. Thank you for sharing.

Superb photos and report. The sad state of the snared zebra is a real shocker- it must habe been in severe pain.

I was there a few days after the hundreds of dead wildebeest event happened.

At that time no one seemed to know how it happened - it was thought then that they crossed pre-sunrise or around sunset - when no vehicles were out.

Wonderful pictures, Martin. As others have said the snared zebra picture was distressing but balanced by your model, Ms Leopard! Look forward to part II.

Beautiful images, especially of the wildebeest.

The snared zebra is heartbreaking. I'm not clear on whether it died as a result of the wound or whether the rangers did shoot it in the end, though.

Your elephant among the rocks is a really unique and appealing scene.

Everyone, thank you for the positive comments! Greatly appreciated! Processing the needed images took a lot longer than I expected, and since I’m not a natural storyteller, even the writing was slower. But I thought I had several stories that need telling and some unique images, as well as the expectation that members here would like to learn more about a lesser visited part of the Serengeti.

@Julian I believe what Fadhil related to me about the wildebeest carnage was the actual truth; he didn’t happen to be in the Northern Serengeti when it happened, so he learned the cause from talking to other guides. I expect the guides (especially if they were involved) are not going to tell their clients that the carnage was guide caused.

@Marks I considered the possibility that the rangers had dispatched the snared zebra, but since it was about 100 feet off the road in the brush, I couldn’t get a good look at it. The carcass was about 200 feet from the balloon safari buildings, so I doubt if they would have left a carcass to rot (and draw lions) so close to people. But as I said, I couldn’t get a decent view, so it could have been killed by a predator.

Edited by AKChui

Great photography ... and great storytelling. As normally sad sides of the real life in the wild are not reported, yours insights are more so interesting.

I was most taken aback by your wildebeest crossings photos and how observers are impacting it! And on some forums, using a fill flash when photographing birds is called unethical!!

Link worked perfectly. Wonderful wilde shots! The ele on the rocks (now there's drink for you) was new for me too. Fascinating. Such a tiny and wrinkly baby hippo! Mutilated zebra makes my blood boil too. The ostrich chicks were so tiny they look like a different species. A most successful trip!

• 3 weeks later...

Great trip report with many wonderful photos!! Including wonderful caracal photos too, now that's special! After reading this trip report I think I would include Ndutu lodge on my itinerary for a dry season Tanzania visit (if it ever materializes) - I thought it was only interesting during calving season.

I thought it was only interesting during calving season.

@cheetah80 That's what I'd also heard, but thought I'd try it for several nights, then had second thoughts and reduced it to one night, and ultimately found I should have stayed for 3 nights!