Sharad Kumar Vats

Sharad Kumar Vats

Of all the parks i have travelled in India, and having photographed Tigers in many of them, one park that has become a personal favorite to take Tiger Head On shots is Kanha National Park. It is not only having good equipment that is important to take good Tiger images, but you have to be present at the right place with the right people (naturalists and drivers), at the right time with right amount of luck. Just sharing some images i have been able to take in Kanha.

www.naturesafariindia.com

post-50369-0-78810600-1453616778_thumb.jpg

post-50369-0-76222700-1453616519_thumb.jpgpost-50369-0-43960000-1453616598_thumb.jpgpost-50369-0-30873800-1453616720_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I especially like the first and third shots. I did not get an encounter like that in Kanha. The best shots I got there were from elephant. Had some great opportunities in Tadoba though.. :)

Sharad Kumar Vats

Lately Kanha has been been having good head on sightings. Particularly the Mukki zone. As of now there are a few adult male Tigers who have been showing up quite regularly and giving some quality head no sightings. The background of the Sal forest is what makes Kanha Tiger sightings very special. Elephant safaris Tiger shows) are now stopped in Kanha, hence the sightings from Jeeps have improved. Though the regular Elephnt safaris are still on.

Tadoba is very unique too, Maya and her cubs have been enthralling the tourists this season.

Edited by Sharad Kumar Vats

We will be in Kanha (and Tadoba) next month so I am very happy to hear that sightings have been good recently! And these are fantastic photos! I hope my luck is as good :)

Sharad Kumar Vats

@@janzin In Tadoba look out for Maya and her cubs, she is giving great sightings with her young cubs of under 6 months.

www.naturesafariindia.com

www.facebook.com/Sharad.K.Vats

Yes I've heard about Maya and the cubs, some people here on SafariTalk saw them last month. But I also heard it is insanely crowded around her!

Good head on shots. What is the equipment that you use?

Sharad Kumar Vats

Good head on shots. What is the equipment that you use?

Thank you. These were clicked by 300mm f2.8 canon with a 1DX canon body

Yes I've heard about Maya and the cubs, some people here on SafariTalk saw them last month. But I also heard it is insanely crowded around her!

Well now they have implemented a new zoning system so only those with permits for that zone will be able to look for her. We had not been allocated that zone for any of our drives and so have had to request two zone changes at extra cost. We felt it was best to hedge our bets and change a couple now in case there are no permits available when we arrive.

Well now they have implemented a new zoning system so only those with permits for that zone will be able to look for her. We had not been allocated that zone for any of our drives and so have had to request two zone changes at extra cost. We felt it was best to hedge our bets and change a couple now in case there are no permits available when we arrive.

oh! That's good to know, I'd better ask WWI if we are in her zone at all!

Nice photos. Were they taken over a period of time as they seem to be different Cats?

@@kittykat23uk when did they do that, must have been super recently as that wasn't the case when we were there just in December. @@Sharad Kumar Vats for us in December it was very hard to see Maya and the cubs - mostly they were staying hidden with a kill the few days we were there.

It also takes a special photographer. Nice work!

Sharad Kumar Vats

@@kittykat23uk Interesting. I wonder how many permits per drive they will be issuing.

@@SafariChick, very limited permits per drive, which are available to be booked online 120 days prior to safari date. So if you are planning for Kanha and you don't want to be disappointed then plan 120 days ahead. There used to many permits until 2011, but after they measured the carrying capacity of the parks after the Supreme Court order they cut down on the permits by almost 60%.

Sharad Kumar Vats

Nice photos. Were they taken over a period of time as they seem to be different Cats?

Yes @@Galana, they have been taken in last two visits to Kanha, you are right these are different Tigers. The 1st and 2nd image the Tiger name is Bheema, a huge male Tiger in Mukki zone, who also visits Kisli zone in Kanha. Image 3 the Tiger is Kingfisher male, he is also a dominant male Tiger in Mukki zone in Kanha. He got his name Kingfisher due to a small sign on top of his right eye which resembles a flying Kingfisher. Then the 4th image is the Umarpani male Tiger. He has a huge face, perhaps one of the biggest i have seen in a while. Incidentally i got the 1st, 2nd and the 4th image in one safari of 3 hours. Currently Mukki zone is simply rocking with sightings of these male Tigers. There is another male Tiger known as Link 7 male in Mukki zone, will post his image. He is the youngest of the lot, and shaping up to be the biggest of the lot.

Sharad.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had spotted Kingfisher as I had the good fortune to meet him last December.

I attach two pics for your readers to explain the marking that earned him his name.

post-14856-0-79429300-1453814651_thumb.jpg

post-14856-0-05403100-1453814631_thumb.jpg

I also met Bheema but was not as lucky with my audience as you.

I share your enthusiasm for 'full frontals!' when they occur.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Sharad Kumar Vats

Sharad.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had spotted Kingfisher as I had the good fortune to meet him last December.

I attach two pics for your readers to explain the marking that earned him his name.

attachicon.gifDSCF4259.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4270b.JPG

I also met Bheema but was not as lucky with my audience as you.

I share your enthusiasm for 'full frontals!' when they occur.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Hi @@Galana, this is great. glad you have encountered Kingfisher and Bheema already. Any luck with Umarpani male? Infact Bheema and Umarpani male had a fight just about 10 days back, apparently Bheema dominated. Fortunately no serious injuries and they both are being spotted fine after the fight. Indeed "full frontal" Tiger images are a delight.