Camera, Sound, Light, Action....Safari in Kanha National Park

Sharad Kumar Vats

Sharad Kumar Vats

Camera, Sound, Light, Action…this is exactly how our safari was scripted on 14th June 2015. We entered the park at 4pm, hoping to reach the bush where the Tiger was supposedly sleeping in the morning. We reached the area, no luck, no alarm call, we moved on, and then our naturalist Naren spotted pug marks of a male Tiger, he said, Sir, Tiger has moved. The Forest guide alongside also saw the pugmarks, and excitedly said, "Naren, move fast, Tiger is on the road". We moved a bit fast, and the moment we crossed the bend on the road ahead we see a Tiger spray marking on a tree. Very few Tigers in the wild have a head this size is what i noticed when we crossed him. post-50369-0-36087700-1453963153_thumb.jpgpost-50369-0-96538100-1453963289_thumb.jpgRaju our Forest guide turned out to be our lucky charm is not something i would like to believe, because the moment he saw the pugmarks he knew that it was absolutely fresh, and Tiger had moved only a minute or two before. So, his enthusiasm, and exact understanding of his job got us good results that day.

This particular Tiger was busy marking his territory and smelling the area, we took the opportunity and moved ahead of him on the road keeping a safe distance. Naren identified him as Umarpani male, about 6-7 years old, a huge Tiger with an enormous face. Next 30 minutes i gave my undivided attention to him, and clicked almost 400 images, while the Tiger gave us all possible poses, he smelled, sprayed, scratched the road, sat down to leave his scent, every possible pose that a photographer would want to have. The tele lens compels one to keep a distance from the Tigers, and thus we were in safe comforts and at a safe distance in our Jeep, and the Tiger never felt uncomfortable. It was about 30 minutes later, that i decided that we have clicked enough, i was exhaused of pressing my index finger on the shutter. At the next turning we changed course, and the Tiger continued down the track.

What happened next perhaps will be best described in the concluding Part 2 of this series.

www.naturesafariindia.com

Edited by Sharad Kumar Vats

Sharad Kumar Vats

he's a stunning dude. which gate did you go through @@Sharad Kumar Vats?

@@Kitsafari, went through Mukki gate. Mukki zone has 4 adult Tigers since last season, and they walk a lot on the road, unlike Tigresses which just tend to cross the tracks.

Just my luck we are staying near the Kisli gate, in a few weeks time. I suspect it is too late to change anything now as permits are obtained, etc. I trust we will get to the Mukki area as well, though! Do you know what the tiger status is now at Kisli?

Sharad Kumar Vats

Just my luck we are staying near the Kisli gate, in a few weeks time. I suspect it is too late to change anything now as permits are obtained, etc. I trust we will get to the Mukki area as well, though! Do you know what the tiger status is now at Kisli?

@@janzin, Bheema the big male Tiger does go to Kisli from Mukki atleast once week, and once he is there he spends a day or two. Besides him there is a Tigress, and one more male which are seen by tourists. But Mukki is rocking for last two seasons, and i think by every passing week as it starts to warm up, the sightings will only improve. Maybe you would like to check your entry permits. You could be staying at Kisli side, but it is possible your safari provider would have booked you in Mukki zone also. Yes it is late to change things now, but not impossible.

Edited by Sharad Kumar Vats

Thanks Sharad, I'm going to email my operator and see what he thinks. I know he did say we'd get to both zones, but I hope we have more than just one chance to get to Mukki.

Sharad Kumar Vats

Thanks Sharad, I'm going to email my operator and see what he thinks. I know he did say we'd get to both zones, but I hope we have more than just one chance to get to Mukki.

I hope you have more chances in Mukki. Infact whichever zone you go to, i wish you quality Tiger sightings.