The life of famous cheetahs (Porini Mara and Porini Lion camps)

bettel

Warning #2: Please don't shoot the pianist, he is playing the best he can ©. While I was trying to do all my best to have good pictures, due to the lack of light, a lot of action, and lack of photography skills some photos are not that good (or better to say " not good at all")

@@bettel

That disclaimer has completely fallen flat. Your photos are great -- as always. As beautiful as all your shots are of cheetah, elephant, lion, leopard, I think the jackal/vulture series is fascinating -- a true story of scale. And we share something in common: I, too, have a soft spot for bat-eared fox. Where we part ways is that I've never gotten decent photos of them, and that last one is just stupendous. Well done!

This slew of excellent Green Season Kenya reports has caused great upheaval in the travel plans I've been concocting in my mind!

Forgot to answer this one :)

Interesting that our guide used names for leopard and cheetah, but not for the lions (just referred to the pride name).

Meshack used names only for male lions:

E.g. Lipstick and Blacky control Ridge pride

Mochican and Romeo are in charge of Enkuyeni pride

Ololpapit and Olbarnoti have two prides: Iseketah and Monico

I know that at least the oldest lioness of Marsh pride also has a name, but I did not ask what it is.

As if a wealth of cheetahs and a lion wasn't blessing enough...Fig the Leopard, too!

Thank you, Tom. Yes, that afternoon we were lucky. Full set of big cats :).

Please do! This is fabulous. You follow a cheetah kill with a pride of lions and then a leopard-lion face-off! For us cat-lovers (catwatchers? catters?) this is paradise.

Thank you for the support. One thing that I can guarantee is large number of cats' photos :).

That disclaimer has completely fallen flat. Your photos are great -- as always. As beautiful as all your shots are of cheetah, elephant, lion, leopard, I think the jackal/vulture series is fascinating -- a true story of scale. And we share something in common: I, too, have a soft spot for bat-eared fox. Where we part ways is that I've never gotten decent photos of them, and that last one is just stupendous. Well done!

Thank you SO much! I am sure one day you will meet your bat eared fox that is not shy. If you do, let me know where it happens as I want to meet it too :). I loved OMC. But I loved Naboisho and Ol Kinyie too :). I think there are more cats in OMC (although this impression can be because you can always go the reserve), but Naboisho is very scenic.

The leopard sequence with the changing positions was both interesting and made me laugh. Really nice photos.

Yes, we saw Amani in January near the Offbeat Mara camp. The guides said she was probably a week from having cubs. Glad to hear that she may have had three. Hope she can keep them alive.

Really enjoying this report with the fantastic photos. You had some wonderful sighting with all the cats.

This is fabulous, I am enjoying both the story telling and the accompanying photos. Masterful.

Anybody who is undecided whether to book a Masai Mara conservancy safari should read your report to help sway their decision...

We are liaising with Mara Lion Project manager Niels Mogensen to give ID names to all the sub adults of the Ol Kinyei pride which are now old enough to be monitored alongside the other adults.
Here is a link to the last set of ID cards. In due course I will post updated ones for both Ol Kinyei and Olare Motorogi lion prides:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151779748289563.1073741834.93222379562&type=3

Jake

thoroughly enjoying your TR. amazing how Mara never disappoints, no matter what the season.

your photos are great !

The cheetahs, the lions, the leopard, all in Widescreen and Technicolour ... oh so jealous I am :wacko: !

@@mapumbo, @@twaffle, @@Game Warden, @@Kitsafari, thank you very much for all you kind words. It was so good that I am thinking that maybe next February I should not go for whales and should just go back to Mara :)

@@JakeGC, how could I forget that we had an Ol Kinyei lion handbook in each tent! I was thinking that it is such a great idea! But I did not add this to my notes and here is the result :)

In due course I will post updated ones for both Ol Kinyei and Olare Motorogi lion prides:

That would be outstanding!

@@xelas, believe me, now I am jealous myself, as it is -15C outside, everything is white-grey, and no big cats around :)

Day 6.

We started a day with a nice surprise: one of Enkuyeni lionesses brought her cubs to the pride:

14_2_2016-01_zpsoif9z86j.jpg

Enkuyeni pride had a quite interesting situation. A few lionesses came to heat when their cubs were still quite young (I believe Meshack told that cubs were 9-10 month old). When lionesses left the pride to take care of new cubs, old cubs tried to leave with them and were patiently waiting for their moms not far from den. They were starving and Meshack told that guides were thinking that older cubs would not make it. But fortunately they survived. And by the time when I was there they already gained weight and looked good. But let’s get back to younger cubs:

14_2_2016-02_zpsracq2zih.jpg

14_2_2016-03_zpshtysb5r8.jpg

14_2_2016-04_zpsffmgphde.jpg

Soon the lioness moved them back to bushes and we continued our way to Musiara. We wanted to know if she would cross to OMC or not. On our way:

14_2_2016-05_zpszlnjgzar.jpg

Musiara had just woken up. The light was amazing so I will torture you with cheetah portraits (see warning #1 :) ):

14_2_2016-06_zpsysduvzpd.jpg

14_2_2016-07_zps6j2i1b9i.jpg

14_2_2016-08_zpsd4dnwbqb.jpg

14_2_2016-09_zpsdzlqsrd0.jpg

14_2_2016-10_zpsmhlhw2xl.jpg

14_2_2016-11_zpsgs4gnklv.jpg

14_2_2016-12_zpsudjqovgh.jpg

14_2_2016-13_zpswp5ppcjo.jpg

14_2_2016-14_zpspezclm5h.jpg

We were surprised as Musiara decided not to go to OMC, she turned 180 degrees and moved back to reserve. That was not quite cooperative :). But we were still following her when Meshack told “Let’s check those hyenas” . He noticed that a few hyenas were running fast in the same direction so we followed them. We were luckily late. It is not a typo. When we arrived hyenas already killed a topi. I would not want to see it in the process. Hyenas don’t suffocate a prey, they start to eat it when it is alive opening belly and taking organs out. But we came just in time to see only sharing:

14_2_2016-15_zpsusgo9n9g.jpg

14_2_2016-16_zpsikrrkteo.jpg

The consumption speed was phenomenal. There was also cacophony of sounds: laughing, calling, squealing, growling:

14_2_2016-17_zpscinqutbu.jpg

14_2_2016-18_zpswga0ux9n.jpg

14_2_2016-19_zpsrfw1vza8.jpg

14_2_2016-20_zpsu5n4pq6f.jpg

Soon the carcass was split into pieces:

14_2_2016-21_zpscl0n3ftf.jpg

One of legs was especially popular:

14_2_2016-22_zps3krm4kxx.jpg

14_2_2016-23_zpskqpkpjja.jpg

14_2_2016-24_zpsbxm2bcuz.jpg

Simultaneously somebody smart tried to escape with all leftovers:

14_2_2016-25_zpspcsxmua7.jpg

It was amazing, 15-20 minutes and no carcass.

To be continued…

Edited by bettel

So the hyenas are the savannah equivalent of piranhas in Amazon?!

Edited by xelas

So the hyenas are the savannah equivalent of piranhas in Amazon?!

I think it is a very valid comparison. I am now trying to decide who is prettier: hyenas or piranhas :)

@@bettel...hurry!

You should not hurry me, as I am spending my time mainly deleting photos :). I am really really trying to be good and not to post 50 photos of sleeping cheetahs :)

Day 6 (continuation)

We went to a hippo pool for a breakfast. Some of them were playing:

14_2_2016-26_zps1heexaeu.jpg

14_2_2016-27_zpsu2brqgh0.jpg

At lunch time I remembered that I should take a photo of a very memorable door :). When we were with mating lions I was trying to make shots from the lowest possible angle. I was fitting myself between seats and putting my camera on the vehicle border (or how you call this thing :)?). Meshack watched my Kamasutra for a few minutes and suggested to open the door. I took a look at Meshack, then I took a look at the door. And then I tried to remember if I had already managed to do something that pissed Meshack off so that now he wanted legally to feed me to lions. I could not remember anything so after some hesitation I opened the door. It was very helpful. But couple times I found myself literally face to face with lions as their eyes were exactly on the same level as my eyes with me being on the floor with the door opened. And the distance between us was just couple meters as in some cases lions were walking towards the car. Those are my most memorable moments. I even forgot how to breath and, I think, next time I will take couple diapers with me (just in case :) ). Long story short here is the car with my door being opened:

14_2_2016-29_zpsljudkwge.jpg

And this is lunch layout:

14_2_2016-30_zpsrqbpshb2.jpg

14_2_2016-31_zpsytxm4qca.jpg

From 11 to 4 we sat with Imani (with a lunch break). Imani was sleeping, and we were almost doing the same thing. John and Mechack were napping and I was reading my book. And somebody can ask why I could not read in my tent. It would be much more comfortable. My answer: it would be even more comfortable to read a book at home, but there are no big cats there :). I was enjoying every moment of being with these amazing animals.

14_2_2016-28_zps3t1xf0rd.jpg

In the evening Meshack found me lion cubs (I asked for lion cubs, he found me lion cubs, I asked for cheetahs he found me cheetahs, I asked for leopards, he found me leopards. Next time I will ask for mating pangolins :) ). The last part of the drive was quite challenging as there were lots of big rocks. When Meshack was driving last 10-20 meters I was thinking that we would have to spend the night with lions as no way we would be able to get out of here. But I forgot about all those thoughts because there are not too many things that are cuter than lion cubs:

14_2_2016-32_zps0twblzuf.jpg

14_2_2016-33_zpsk7jngcar.jpg

14_2_2016-34_zpsprglmbon.jpg

Sometimes you are the subject, sometimes you are the object:

14_2_2016-35_zpsehg4uhmv.jpg

14_2_2016-36_zpsa05rsexm.jpg

14_2_2016-37_zpsxlwosk0m.jpg

14_2_2016-38_zpsqhpozwck.jpg

14_2_2016-39_zps8h9xji8m.jpg

14_2_2016-40_zpsgzwyimv7.jpg

14_2_2016-41_zpswagbezhp.jpg

14_2_2016-42_zpssqusdwpj.jpg

Lionesses were feeding cubs on the rotation basis: one victim was feeding, all other lionesses were resting little bit further away and then they switched.

14_2_2016-43_zps2y82ooy1.jpg

14_2_2016-44_zpsvvivnpps.jpg

When it got dark, we started to get out. There were couple moments when I was totally sure that we were completely stuck, but Meshack somehow managed to get out. I swear it is car whispering.

~ @@bettel

You're showing the world the joys of a Porini Lion stay.

Had I not preceded you there earlier this month, I'd be hopelessly jealous.

As it is, I share the feeling of @@twaffle that you storytelling and photography is masterful.

Thank you!

Tom K.

I am sorry, I am sorry, this picture belongs to the next set, but I like it so much that I am itchy to post it now (but I will post it again with the full batch :) ). It is like a new dress that you want to show to everybody. I know that from photo perspective it is not that great, but I was dreaming for a long time to catch a cheetah in this pose.

15_2_2016-10_zpsv7cmt2um.jpg

@@bettel...do not want to rush you, but just want to let you know that your installments are eagerly awaited.

@@bettel

I can share your excitement!! When the cheetah starts running, it is a sight to be remembered. taking a photo just at the right moment ... masterpiece!

I don't mind only cheetahs at all, but I am glad to see that this is not only cheetahs. Fig and the hyena kill are my favorite sets. Great stuff!

Wow a flying cheetah! Definitely stands out on its own!

And such adorable pics of the lion cubs - my fav is of those two tiny paws (imagine those teeny weeny pug marks) waving in the air while the younger cub played with the older cub ( thinks it's the ninth one in the series).

Well Tom may not be jealous, but I'm utterly envious!

A beautiful sequence of the lion cubs - such tender interactions. Not too many cheetah pictures :)

I really like the hyena sequence (but I would also be happy to miss the kill)

@@bettel

One can never have too many cheetah pictures...please keep them coming. There are so many great pictures on this thread but I thought the below shot was particularly nice -

14_2_2016-07_zps6j2i1b9i.jpg

@@bettel...do not want to rush you, but just want to let you know that your installments are eagerly awaited.

Thank you! It motivates to continue :)

I can share your excitement!! When the cheetah starts running, it is a sight to be remembered. taking a photo just at the right moment ... masterpiece!

Thanks a lot. I think cheetah running is one of the most beautiful things ever :)

I don't mind only cheetahs at all, but I am glad to see that this is not only cheetahs. Fig and the hyena kill are my favorite sets. Great stuff!

Little spoiler: there will be better pictures of Fig :). Thank you for your kind words.

And such adorable pics of the lion cubs - my fav is of those two tiny paws (imagine those teeny weeny pug marks) waving in the air while the younger cub played with the older cub ( thinks it's the ninth one in the series).

Thank you, @@Kitsafari, I love lion cubs. I can be shown only lions cubs for the whole safari and I will be happy :)

Not too many cheetah pictures :)

Lol, I don't want to scare you, but next couple days will be overloaded with cheetahs :)

One can never have too many cheetah pictures...please keep them coming. There are so many great pictures on this thread but I thought the below shot was particularly nice -

Thanks a lot. Actually, this photo is among my personal favorites :)

Day 7.

We went straight to Imani as it had been more than 2 days since her last kill and it was time for her family to become active. We found them quickly:

15_2_2016-01_zpsjodjegkq.jpg

But as soon as we parked we heard alarm calls nearby and they were not for the cheetah family. We went to check what was going on there. There were two boys from Olkuroto pride:

15_2_2016-02_zpsbcl92754.jpg

15_2_2016-03_zpsrcww7emj.jpg

Lions were not planning any activity; they walked into bushes and fell asleep. We returned to cheetahs. Cheetahs were practicing some synchronized stretching:

15_2_2016-04_zps5lq4pcf1.jpg

Imani was definitely looking for some hunting, but her kids were running around like crazy. Only blind and deaf antelope could not notice them. There was no such antelope nearby. We were feeling sorry for Imani as quite a few times she tried hard to stalk, to crawl, to be invisible, and then suddenly her three cubs started to jump and gallop around. Immediately all antelopes alarmed.

One time Imani was well into hunting and cubs were even behaving but then they noticed a warthog family nearby. Cubs started to chase warthogs. After a few hundred meters warthogs realized that these were only cheetahs, stopped, turned 180 degrees and started to chase cubs. The sound was close to a few hippos running through bushes. Poor Imani was sitting in the middle of plains with all antelopes around alarming at her and thinking that she raised idiots. It was clearly her face expression. And then one cub got lost so she had to call him:

15_2_2016-05_zpsj0ojr9oi.jpg

At the end Imani realized that there would be no hunt while cubs had energy. She changed her strategy, she started to play with them and to provoke as many chases as possible to get them tired:

15_2_2016-06_zpstm0ygh3v.jpg

15_2_2016-07_zpssazhjgnj.jpg

15_2_2016-11_zps5eudswlj.jpg

15_2_2016-09_zpsg0uodpju.jpg

15_2_2016-08_zpstr2chotx.jpg

15_2_2016-10_zpsv7cmt2um.jpg

15_2_2016-12_zpsujaohl3w.jpg

15_2_2016-13_zps2kckfdvt.jpg

15_2_2016-14_zps0poc2cly.jpg

15_2_2016-15_zpslegd4ubq.jpg

15_2_2016-16_zpslqyl1lg6.jpg

15_2_2016-17_zpsj11cr9px.jpg