Hwange, past and present

Bush dog

@@Bush dog, thank you, always enjoy a story about the animals and people along the way. Feeling a bit sorry for the last of the Dynamite boys. Won't get to all these Parks in my lifetime so fun to read of others journeys.

You have a lot of depth here in these last segments, and the whole report. Even brilliant yellow butterflies and that adorable plover.

The unexpected walking safari had a happy ending.

• 4 weeks later...

Magnificent photography as always Mike! Beautiful colour and saturation, combined with great composition and stunning detail throughout.

I am not even going to try and single any out.

• 5 years later...

@Bush dog, amazing photos and excellent trip-report! 

I love also the pictures from 2000. They are somehow analog-nostalgic. The important point is not to come to Hwange in March... unless you love the special light and a green background. 

@ElenaH

By experience, I've learned that, unless you are a list ticker, all seasons, in that different, are gorgious.

@ElenaH

And regarding argentic, I am preparing, little by little, a topic concerning the period from 1996 to 2006.

2 hours ago, Bush dog said:

I've learned that, unless you are a list ticker, all seasons, in that different, are gorgious

the same is for me actually... I start to love green season. The predators as well as some (or most?) herbivores are territorial and stay on their territory independently on the season. With a good guiding and some luck you can find animals in any season. And in green season - even more.  The backdrop is also better.

I just need to persuade my partner to travel in any season. I am still unsuccessful in that. :lol:

2 hours ago, Bush dog said:

I am preparing, little by little, a topic concerning the period from 1996 to 2006

@Bush dogoh, it would be great!! I am fascinated by history of parks and old photos! I saw a few and on some of them I recognised the trees! The trees have a long life if not burnt.

Between 1996 and 2006 I even didn't think about Africa and you were already taking your gorgeous photos! I am really  looking forward to your new stories accompanied with pictures.

On 9/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, Bush dog said:

@ElenaH

And regarding argentic, I am preparing, little by little, a topic concerning the period from 1996 to 2006.

You may find a book by Keith Meadows called "Sometimes When it Rains" of interest.  A look back at some of the people that were integral in the development of wildlife tourism in Zimbabwe.

Ted Davison's own book "Wankie" is also a great read.