A Return to Northern Kafue

wilddog

@@Caracal I am not sure that the first lioness was snared but it was a possibility. Whatever happened I do not think it was very recent as it had healed.

As mentioned earlier it had been quiet around Musekese recently but I understand that poachers do come in intermittently. The next day Phil Jeffrey, who had just returned from travelling with guests to Lusaka, was arranging for an additional anti snare/ antipoaching sweep to take place.

@@Julian...I think that you had better get busy. These small camps get filled.

I was hoping there would still be plenty of availability for July, as everything I've read indicates that the only really busy times are from about mid Aug to mid Oct.

The reason we are leaving the booking until late ( beginning of April) is mainly due to waiting for the all clear with my wife Rachel's health, following her major surgery for cancer last year.

@@Julian I've already booked a whole week at Musekese in 2018, as well as 4 nights in Mukambi Plains. Where are you planning to stay in South Luangawa National Park? I'll be going there as well for the fourth time

Have not decided yet, currently reading up all the trip reports on here for Zambia from 2014 to date.

Most likely one camp in the northern sector of South Luangwa and one in the southern sector.

As we have never been to Zambia ( other than Victoria Falls) we are reasonably flexible with locations - just need to make sure we get the camps we want.

Edited by Julian

• 3 weeks later...

Reading your great trip report now, especially enjoying finding out more about Musekese Camp as I will be spending three night there in November.

@@wilddog what an extraordinary experience to help out with desnaring the lioness. It's so upsetting reading the indiscriminate snaring wires such that I feel like spending an afternoon with the anti-poaching team to get those snares out.

I'm a bit confused though. I must have missed something or my brain cells have stopped working - the lioness that was being desnared is different from the lioness missing the lower part of her right hind leg? are they in the same pride?

What an amazing experience it must have been to observe and assist in the lioness de-snaring. One day I really must get to Zambia.

@@Kitsafari the two lionesses are different and were at different locations. Probably at least a kilometer apart but on different days. First group by the dambo/lagoon and the others near the landing point on the river across the peninsula. So difficult to know if the are fragments of the same pride and unfortunately it is a question I did not think to ask.

@@twaffle it was a privilege to be there, although I did not personally do anything but watch. One of my travelling companions was a GP and was tasked with monitoring her breathing.However it is amazing to stand with this predator asleep, literally at my feet. I did get to feel her coat, with very strict instructions to wash my hands afterwards. These opportunities are few and far between and we were very lucky the the Zambian Carnivore Team offered it. We were just in the right place at the right time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ferrison! I remember him from years back. Ace guide!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay on the final post for this TR.

Today would be our last day in the bush. For me it is always a bit sad as the end approaches. Often I take less photographs attempting to ensure I can really absorb the atmosphere and experience it fully, rather than through the lens. Admittedly last night had been a major wildlife experience and I was certainly in reflective mood.

We spent the morning on the boat. It was very pleasant as always. Many of the usual suspects were on parade.

gallery_6103_1610_1096761.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_269966.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_1951203.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_377952.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_1652418.jpg

I was fascinated with the design of the Jacana's feet; lucky enough to get a good look at the Fin Foot which normally skulks and then disappears so I have never got a shot before. They are not good pictures but I was astonished at the bright legs; the Hammerkop nest always amazes in structure, design and pure size; and as for the tusks of this wart hog on the bank, we were all impressed.

gallery_6103_1610_483071.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_339656.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_2564156.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_3287293.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_1218336.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_3861248.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_400449.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_1333297.jpg

When we got back to camp the Zambian Carnivore Programme team were in camp. They had caught up with the lioness this morning and they advised us that she was getting about well after her de-snaring and collaring . So good to hear.

The afternoon game drive was fairly quiet.

gallery_6103_1610_2911569.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_1843530.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_1935406.jpg

There was one VERY interesting sighting that afternoon and this was located after we had seen a couple of vultures in the trees.

We could see a wart hog feeding on something. We got out to have a look only to find the Warthog had been eating a baby impala carcass.Some of you may remember Tyrone's post from last year, http://safaritalk.net/topic/16144-warthog-kills-impala/#entry194761 when he saw a Warthog kill.... and eat a baby impala. We could only wonder if the same thing had happened here.

This had been a wonderful trip encompassing 3 camps with a range of habitats, wildlife and experiences. I enjoyed it all.

gallery_6103_1610_6024524.jpg

gallery_6103_1610_1371412.jpg

Post Script re Pangolins

@@Blue Bird had visited the old Musekese camp some 15 months previously and seen a Pangolin. One was sighted the week before my arrival at Kaingu and again about 10 days later and then a Pangolin was again seen at Musekese after I left.................If you visit the area, you may be lucky . For me it will have to be another time.

i had thoroughly enjoyed the report, thank you @@wilddog for "doggedly" finishing it with a flourish. what a curious sighting that warthogs have become carnivorous - at least in the Musekesee area.

I hope we get as lucky as you did but your report whet my appetite and excitement even more. I have high expectations now! :D

Glad you enjoyed the last installment @@Kitsafari . Is it this year you are heading to Kafue?

@Wildog as you know all too well one never tires of the usual suspects no matter how often we may see them. One always sees them in different situations and notices something new about them.

Have really enjoyed following your trip through Kafue @@wilddog and what a champion warthog farewelling you on your last drive.

I'm now hankering to return yet again to Kafue and to include that middle section around Musekese.

michael-ibk

Thank you Linda, thoroughly enjoyed this report. Wonderful "appetizer" for me since I´m there this October - absolutely coincidentally the very same time as Kit. :)

@@michael-ibk how wonderful - we'll have to meet and drink to a GTG. :rolleyes:

@@wilddog yes in October this year. coincidentally, sharing the same camp at the same time with @@michael-ibk. :D

madaboutcheetah

@@wilddog - Thanks for this report ........... Kafue is high on my list too - including the Busanga plains area ...... incredible scenery, viewing and wonderful people that you bring out in this report!

@@wilddog - Thanks for this report ........... Kafue is high on my list too - including the Busanga plains area ...... incredible scenery, viewing and wonderful people that you bring out in this report!

Let me know when you're going @@madaboutcheetah, maybe a GTG on Busanga Plains

gatoratlarge

Thanks for the great report! I've been following closely as I will be making my first visit to Kafue in the fall (end of Sept and first couple days of Oct) and I'll be staying at Kaingu Lodge and also Musekese Camp---I wish it was longer but we'll be there for four nights and coming up from Vic Falls and Livingstone and Tswalu before that. I also reached out to Tyrone McKeith and all of your information helped convince me to check out this part of Zambia. Temp wise---how do you think it will be late Sept and early Oct?

Page 3

Was that a Wattled Plover chick? Love the wall-to-wall lechwe. Truly a gorgeous leopard. Very cute how the monitor lizard got its name!

Page 4

What an encounter with the de-snaring of the lioness. I winced when I read how she pulled her paw away in pain even under anesthetic. Glad she got another dose and the best news was she was better the next day. That video of limping lioness was upsetting.

On a brighter note, the bushbuck bookends are delightful and so is the avian feet exposé.

It pays to be on the lookout for killer warthogs in Kafue. Quite fascinating.

Great ending with the group shot and then heaven!

Edited by Atravelynn

@@gatoratlarge Weather will be hot but not oppressive as it tends to be at end of October and into November when the humidity rises. I think it will be a lovely time of the year in Kafue.

@@Atravelynn

Yes well spotted it was a wattled plover chick. Mum was busy trying to distract us, as is there way, so I could not get them in the same frame.

Thanks for reading :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in Kaufe in mid November and hope I don't melt.